Formal Dress AMOUNT Question

UstolemyNAME

I will start by saying this is not another formal dress question, this is a question about the AMOUNT of formal dress needed.

Ok, thats done. So, realistically (sp) how many formal dresses of each variety (long, fancy short and less fancy short - feel free to redefine categories) do I need for a 46 night Southampton to Sydney cruise on the QV? Assuming I am not flying anywhere before or after.

Please don't kill me for asking and, since I know that all your kind answers with vary greatly, please don't kill each other.:p

Thankyou

I will start by saying this is not another formal dress question, this is a question about the AMOUNT of formal dress needed.

Ok, thats done. So, realistically (sp) how many formal dresses of each variety (long, fancy short and less fancy short - feel free to redefine categories) do I need for a 46 night Southampton to Sydney cruise on the QV? Assuming I am not flying anywhere before or after.

Please don't kill me for asking and, since I know that all your kind answers with vary greatly, please don't kill each other.:p

Thankyou

Well that's spoiled all the fun from the start.

Sorry, Sorry, never fear, someone will be along with a proper sensible answer very soon I'm sure.

Gari

We sailed on the QM2 last winter for 42 nights and there were 15 formal nights and then the others were as you wished (men always wore a jacket sometimes no tie if you adhered to the cunard code not evryone did)

You will however recieve fter payment a breakdown of all the formal night

informal and casual (the casual is not casual if you know what I mean)

You will however recieve after payment a breakdown of all the formal night

informal and casual (the casual is not casual if you know what I mean)

But this is not always 100% correct, as it is "subject to change".

It does however give a very good indication of the number of nights in each dress code. Check your on board Daily Bulletin, as the dress code for that evening is always listed there.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

For longer voyages, I usually break them down into segments, figuring I will wear all articles of clothing more than once.

Evening separates work best you can mix and match tops with long and short bottoms. Thus one formal skirt and one day length cocktail skirt with 5 tops will yield 10 formal and semi-formal outfits. Stick with black for the bottoms. Accessorize for different "looks".

Add a couple of little black dresses which can be dressed up or down.

Elegant casual I hate. Requires too much packing. This being said, stick with basic colors which can be mixed and matched. Lightweight fabrics work best as the won't weigh down your cases.

I take about 4 long evening gowns and the rest as separates - long skirts or pants and evening tops. This gives a few extra combinations.....but honestly - it is not a sin to wear something twice!! I often ignore elegant casual and treat it as semi-formal. It makes life easier!

Thanks guys,

I'm really worried about at what point you've worn the same outfit too many times. I'm trying to collect formal dresses (I love them) but cant afford many long ones. Something about my proportions means I always look slightly like a little kid playing dress-up when I wear a long skirt and top....not sure how this works. I have lots of shorter dresses (I have claimed all those belonging to my extended family) and will probably wear them for imformal and casual - I'm glad I was not the first to think of this. The concept of elegant casual (cunard standard) escapes me and seems to involve a lot of clothes.

Assuming I look ridiculous(sp) in mix and match outfits (still not sure what I did to deserve that) can anyone suggest a rough number of dresses (long / short[in reply to comments in other sections, MY short dresses most definetly do more than cover the 'fun' zones]) that would work?

Thank-you for all your help (and for be so civil to each other)

On the first leg of our journey 14 nights there was a lady on our table who wore only 2 outfits both lovely one for formal and one for the other nights and it did cross my mind does it really matter how many outfits you take.

Also dont forget the laundry where you can do your day wear thus cutting down on your luggage We were 11 kilos under going out but spot on when we were returning being under going allowed for our shopping

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I have 12 dresses - 6 long and 6 short (not indecent) - too many or not enough?

Well ... On the QE2 they always talked about the couple who booked an additional suite just for the clothes...

Some ladies brought enough long dresses to never repeat one on the roughly 50 formal nights.

As you have seen in the previous posts different people handle the question differently.

I talked about this with my friend who has been on a 48 nights leg of the QV world cruise this year. She did not give me total numbers but the answer amounted to "a couple more" especially to make sure not to let the standards come down on these "elegant casual" nights.

Anyway, enjoy your world cruise!

Thankyou!:D

I am, of course, not expecting an exact number. I wish I could afford an extra suite, let alone the dresses to fill it, but alas that is not the case. I'm just wondering what others think is appropriate. If it was up to me (with the help of a cashed-up fairy godmother) I would buy as many dresses as I could take on board without sinking the ship:p. Yay an excuse to get more dresses!

Archived