Stroller for a 3yr old ? (To bring or not to bring?)

SAILORBOYS

I think we should bring a stroller, my hubby doesnt.

My son is 3 (tomorrow =) . While, yes, he DOES have lots of energy, Im thinking of the evenings, when he may get tired, maybe for the shows, etc.

Any feedback ?

Thanks !

:D

My son is 3 (tomorrow =) . While, yes, he DOES have lots of energy, Im thinking of the evenings, when he may get tired, maybe for the shows, etc.

Any feedback ?

Thanks !

I would bring a cheap umbrella stroller for ports and even onboard for sometimes, but I wouldnt bring a large fancy stroller at all. It would be really hard to manuever in the cafes for example.

In fact, one of my favorite tricks when we travelled with our little ones was to go to a thrift shop and get a cheap second hand umbrella stroller for a few dollars and then leave it behind at our final hotel for another guest to use.

Every child is different. Our DS was out of the stroller by 18 months and never looked back, he was walking at 10 months. Our DD on the other hand walked at 14 months and we wouldn't think of leaving without out Combi. The Maclaren is nice too. Our Combi weighs about 10 lbs an folds up tight like an umbrella stroller. Great for air travel.

Only you can make the decision whether your child can handle the walking. Do you use the stroller more than not now? If there is any doubt, I would bring one(a small one).

Yes! Bring it! It will come in handy shoreside as well. Be sure to bring one that is compact, so you can store it in an out-of-the-way place in your cabin. We stored ours either in the mini-hallway area by the closet/door of the cabin, or in the shower.

CeleBrat

Bring the smallest, cheapest, lightest (umbrella) stroller you can find. A 3 year old, can not and will not walk, where you will want to go all day, on board or onshore.

Leave the big stroller at home, especially if you have to tender at some ports. Also remember, just like clothes, the nice warm, fuzzy stroller that works in North America, may just be too hot for the nice hot Caribbean sun. Think light weight, you will be happy with that too if you end up carrying it.

It will work for 1 week. Have a great time.

My daughter walked at 8mos and her brother at 10mos. By 18mo I rarely used a stroller with either of them. EXCEPT whem traveling. While neither had a problem walking long distances at their pace, I found a stroller invaluable for when I needed to get someplace fast or for when I was someplace where they wanted to nap.

We've been all around the world and so has that stroller. I have the MacClaren Techno that reclines. It's pretty light and the strap makes it easy to carry when not in use. On our Alaska cruise, this year, it was great for use with our late seating dining. I took my 2.5yo to the buffet before dinner and he enjoyed fruit with us in the mdr. When he got sleepy I just put him in his stroller while we continued to enjoy our meal.

just FYI... contact Carnival first... THEY RENT STROLLERS OUT. So if you don't want to bring one, then borrow theirs!!! ALSO, let me highly recommend the monkey/dog backpack/leash. We got ours at Wal Mart for $10 or $15 and it was SO nice to have. They're cute so the kids like them and soft and plush, so they are comfy and it lets you hold onto them without holding them or grasping their hand. They're excited and want to look around, but it's crazy during check in or at port. We took the backpack with my 3 yr old and were fine. IF we were going to walk around a lot (we didn't, we just played on the beach) we would have either brought/borrowed a stroller. I didn't know until our cruise you could borrow one, but by then didn't need one.

ALSO, let me highly recommend the monkey/dog backpack/leash. We got ours at Wal Mart for $10 or $15 and it was SO nice to have. They're cute so the kids like them and soft and plush, so they are comfy and it lets you hold onto them without holding them or grasping their hand. They're excited and want to look around, but it's crazy during check in or at port.

The monkey backpack/leash thing never worked as well for me as I'd hoped: DS always insisted on holding onto the monkey's "tail" (the leash/adult handle part) himself, which made the whole thing rather useless, lol. If your kids are the type that don't mind having their hands held I imagine it would be better, though. I think DS is just unique in that he's extremely independent and never wanted us to hold onto him or his items (his lovey, for example) and wanted freedom to move as he wished. For us, the stroller is still the best choice at 2.5 years, because it's the only thing that will keep him with us!

I'm going to "ditto" what most have said here: I say you should definietly take an umbrella stroller. Both my daughters (7 and 3) walked at 9 mos. But the stroller is invaluable for traveling with toddlers. Not only for when they are too tired to walk or can't keep up; but it keeps them in one place, with you in crowded areas. It's also a great way to lug your shopping bags, beach bag, purse, etc. :)

I will add that an umbrella stroller with a sunshade/awning is a very good idea for ports of call. We use a Jeep brand. It's going on its second cruise with us this November. Our 7 yr old was 3 1/2 on her last cruise; our youngest will be 3 1/2 on this cruise. I wouldn't dream of going without it.

Our boy just turned 3. We are cruising in February. We decided not to take ours because I don't think he would stay in it. We don't use it now, at any time, so I think it would just be something we brought and wish we hadn't. I hope I am not wrong.

We bought the stroller for Disney, and really needed it there with all the long days of walking. He was in it a great deal. However, 1 year later, I don't think I could convince him to be in it, or restrain him in it for any useful length of time.

Again, totally depends on the kid.

• 3 weeks later...
The monkey backpack/leash thing never worked as well for me as I'd hoped: DS always insisted on holding onto the monkey's "tail" (the leash/adult handle part) himself, which made the whole thing rather useless

My daughter is the same way, actually. However we had a long discussion about safety and I explained to her that this was how it was going to be... if she wanted to go on the cruise she had to wear it for safety reasons and that it would just be while we were getting on/off the ship and if I felt we needed it in ports. We ended up not needing it much at all, but I was glad to have it when we did (checking in) and our conversation made it work well -- also she was really excited about everything, so she didn't notice it too much, but if she hadn't had it may have been running towards things that caught her fancy.

i always bring umbrella stroller with a sunshade for my 3 year old since he doesnt like walking much. we just got back from Mediterranean and the greek Island for 21 days wouldn't know what to do with myself i didn't bring it with us since its only me and him..

We brought the McLaren with us on our cruises, although we'll probably skip it this year as the youngest will be 5.

If you're cruising to warm weather ports, the kid's energy levels kinda peter out with the heat... so the stroller definitely helps.

I also agree with you that the evening hours, the stroller is invaluable. If our daughter was pooped at dinner, she would nap in the stroller at the table in the MDR. Napping in the stroller in the back of the theater during the show was also a good thing.

I am going on a cruise next month w/my 3 yr old DD. I will be bringing her umbrella stroller with us. I was planning on leaving it at home and only bringing a carrier/sling, but...since I found out I'm pregnant, I have no energy or strength to carry her. DH will not be joining us...so stroller it is!

our dd will be 2.5 yo on our next cruise. i dont think we are bringing a stroller. i looked at the shore excursions we might be going on and none are stroller friendly. i will probably bring my beco carrier which comes in a travel bag.

if shes tired or cranky we will go back to the room. she doenst care for the stroller alot and i dont want her screaming in it.

When my child was 3, I had this same question.

We brought an umbrella stroller and I was so glad we did. Often she would nap in the stroller when we were out and about during the day. The trip was exhausting (in a good way) up late and on the go. It sure beat sitting in the room to rest.

She wouldn't have been in a stroller if at home, but it was a nice option for the whole family to be able to have the stroller as a choice.

Any feedback ?

Thanks !

Take it! It can make the difference between fussy tired toddler that wants to be held and happy, agreeable, relaxing toddler.

My twins turn 5 on their next cruise and the stroller is coming with. Distances can be long in the airport, on the ship, in port and it's MUCH easier to have a place to put a tired toddler and be able to just keep going rather than have to listen to whining/carry them, etc. Especially when in a hurry. And the stroller basket is a great place to carry all the extra stuff we need (crayons, water, wipes, snacks, etc.). Also, if they conk out for a nap while in port or at the end of the night on the ship, I don't have to carry them. I'd much rather bring it and have it sit unused at the back of the closet than not bring it and wish I had.

Best,

Mia

Archived