Dublin

sltb47

Has anyone purchased or used the Dublin Pass? We will be in Dublin for about 8 hours and wondering if we would be able to visit enough of the places covered by the pass to make it of value. Also if we would have enough time to include a trip by bus or train to Malahide? Thanks for any suggestions.

Has anyone purchased or used the Dublin Pass? We will be in Dublin for about 8 hours and wondering if we would be able to visit enough of the places covered by the pass to make it of value. Also if we would have enough time to include a trip by bus or train to Malahide? Thanks for any suggestions.

I haven't used the Dublin Pass, but have gone out to Malahide Castle. Using the DART suburban electric trains, the journey is about 23 minutes from Central Dublin, a bit shorter if you take one of the standard Irish trains which pass through Dublin and stop at Malahide on the way to some other destination. Timetables are available at http://www.irishrail.ie/home/# and a route map for DART and the northern suburban service out of Dublin is at http://www.irishrail.ie/images/maps/Irish-Rail_Dublin-Map01.gif If you are not familiar with Dublin, plan on departing from Connolly Station, which is a main railway station. Tara Street station is across the river, closer to Trinity College but is an elevated suburban station only, and I'm not sure if it is manned.

Malahide Castle is about a 15 minute well-marked walk from Malahide station, and worth seeing. Allowing about an hour and a half to get to and from the castle, and another hour to hour and a half for the tour, this would be a major chunk of your day. But worth it, IMHO.

• 6 months later...

I had purchased the Dublin pass because I used the bus to get from the airport to the city center and my hotel. The only place I went to was the Guiness Storehouse.

It may be difficult to use the pass and get your money's worth in 8 hours. The only advantage to the Dublin pass is that you get to miss some of the queues and go straight into a site.

Most people decide to either go to Malahide or explore the city. You lose time going to Malahide and back.

Archived