Boston, Rhode Island, Bar Harbor, do it on my own or excursions?

sonya wa

I reserved 2 excursions with Princess and one is Boston and the other one is Newport. For Boston is the Historic Boston and Cambridge about 3 1/2 hrs long as I heard the driving and traffic can be difficult. For Newport is the Vanderbilt's and the Marble house. We did not reserved any tours for Bar Harbor. Dh and I are not much of an outdoor person. We like to visit the city and do sightseeing. Should I booked an excursion in Bar Harbor or should we go on our own? Thanks for any advice.

Sonya

Did you consider the Old Town Trolley (HoHo) in Boston? It's $32.40 if you buy your tickets online and you can ride it all day if you like, getting off and on at the places that interest you. The 3 1/2 hour bus tour does drive through Harvard Square, whereas the trolley only circles through the MIT area. However, the trolley does go to the Constitution, Quincy Market, and Fenway Park. The bus stops only in the North End and Harvard Square, whereas the trolley has 15 or 16 stops where you can get off and explore on your own. I'm sure both will provide narration along the way. The trolley now comes to the cruise pier when ships are in port. IMO, unless you have a special "thing" for Harvard, the HoHo is a less expensive and more flexible way to tour Boston.

138th east,

Isn't it possible to get off the Old Town Trolley at stop 12 (Kendall Sq.) and take the subway over to Harvard Square? Is this easy to do? Thanks.

I agree you see much more by taking the HOHO. Also, at the end of the ship tour, if there is an option of staying in town, it is up to them to get back to the ship. You certainly wouldn't want to return to the ship after only 3 1/2 hr.

sonya,

Everything about the Acadia Park tours is about the outdoors. So, if I were you, I would stay in town and explore everything there. It's very scenic and fun. If you like to walk, the shorepath walking trail starts by the B&B (look to the left after exiting the tender pier area).

http://www.acadiamagic.com/ShorePath.html

Travelbig - I was going to mention the subway or bus from Kendall to Harvard Sq., but I was thinking of leaving that until the OP came back to say they absolutely had to see Harvard Sq. IMO if you're really interested in Harvard, a quick stop on a tour bus is not enough. And a quick trip there on the subway may not be satisfying either.

We have cruised to Boston before on RCL. We took a "trolley" from the pier to Quincy Market. I think it only cost about $8 round trip. Does anybody know it this is still in effect or was it only RCL. We will be in Boston on Oct. 1st on NCL.

Any help would be great.

Jeanne

Both times we were in Boston, we took the shuttle (bought the tickets thru the ship) to the Quincy Market area. One of those times was NCL. Here is something for you to consider - buy the tickets for the Old Town Trolley (HOHO) and board it at stop 16A which is at the Black Falcon Pier. If you want to do a HOHO, this is the way to go, and you won't have to buy the shuttle tickets in addition to get over to Quincy Market. Just a thought.

Archived