cascade waterfalls

knuffles

Hi there

We are deciding what shore tours to do and think we have made our decision there is just one question I have about the cascade waterfalls in vila. Is there leeches? My 13yo son has a massive fear of leeches and if he gets one on him you will hear about it all the way back in oz LOL.

Thanx

Dani

Dani

Haven't been for a couple of years and didn't do the last 2 visits as a tour. We hired a driver asked him to drop us and come back in 2 hours . Saved a fortune as it was a small fee to enter and the driver was about $20 all up

Di

Dani

Haven't been for a couple of years and didn't do the last 2 visits as a tour. We hired a driver asked him to drop us and come back in 2 hours . Saved a fortune as it was a small fee to enter and the driver was about $20 all up

Di

Hi Di

Great to hear from you.

Jenny

I dont think there is leeches but if you do decide to go there as Di said, it is cheaper just to get a driver to take you there and pick you up. The shore tours through P&O are really expensive.

Have a great time

I loved the cascade waterfalls, they are truly beautiful. I cannot say i saw any leeches and i got in and swam in a lot of the rock pool, the water flows fairly well though. One thing i would recomened is maybe getting some beach shoes or somethingas you have to climb up and the rocks are very rough on your feet, and if you don't want to wear wet shoes for the rest of the day it is a good investment. :)

When we visited the Cascade Waterfalls, we caught a taxi from the wharf to the Post Office where we caught the $2 bus (Post Office located in the city of Vila where all the shops are).

This $2 bus took us to the Cascade waterfalls, and then we paid the admission into the waterfalls.

I would recommend to speak to the bus driver and arrange for a time for them to come back and pick you up.

(Just to let you know that the bus looks the same as taxis...private looking vehicles).

We spent an hour or two there and loved the experience, for a much cheaper price than with a ship's booked tour.

Alternatively, if you don't want to catch the bus, you can ask the locals at the wharf how much they will charge you to take you to the waterfall and back.

I would also recommend to wear shoes with a good grip (I wouldnt recommend thongs, etc). You will be walking on a slippery surface.

From memory, I don't remember leeches either.

The following thread has some photos of the cascade waterfalls: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1017846&highlight=hideaway

As said, I don't think there were leeches when we went (I didn't see any, and nobody in our group got any on them). Agreed with the sturdy shoes (when we went it was all mud, so make sure that you don't mind maybe getting them a bit dirty).

Hi there

We are deciding what shore tours to do and think we have made our decision there is just one question I have about the cascade waterfalls in vila. Is there leeches? My 13yo son has a massive fear of leeches and if he gets one on him you will hear about it all the way back in oz LOL.

Thanx

Dani

Hi Dani

I also don't remember any leeches. I took my three daughters to the Cascade Waterfalls, they loved it. Its quite a walk, but beautiful scenery. We had locals entertaining us diving from trees into the tiny ponds below and the girls loved the natural water slide.

We didn't do an organised tour in Vila, we hired a taxi for the day, he took us anywhere we wanted to go and also waited for us while we shopped in Vila. We went to the Cascade Waterfalls, through the 5 star resorts, to a little village, to some lookouts and into Vila. It cost our family of 5 only $50 AUD for the whole day. We paid a bit extra to get into the Cascade Waterfalls, but still a much cheaper way to go.

Apparently we could have negotiated our taxi fare even cheaper, but we were more than happy with our guide, and he was very polite. If you do decide to do the taxi, just don't expect the taxi to be like our Aussie ones, the one we had was fairly tatty, it was not airconditioned, more like an old bus really, but it was sooooo much cheaper than the ship tours.

Have a great time

Just wondering about how you said to wear beach shoes on the Cascade waterfall walk.

We are taking a Pand O tour to Cascade Waterfalls mainly because my husband is a major worry wart and it is our first cruise. So it is easier for me to pay the extra waste of money to ensure peace and stress free-ness.

Do you suggest we wear our reef shoes on the whole walk or just pack them in our backpacks for places we do need them??? What do you experienced people do???

Hi Sunbaker,

You will love your cruise.

Never been to cascade falls so I can't comment on the shoes but our last cruise when we where in Vila, we deceided not to go on the P&O organised Tour and hired a local taxi to take us around. We went to a lovely beach for snorkling and organised for him to come back and pick us up. Well he never turned up, we had to walk back a distance and flag someone down to take us back to the town and we only just made it back to the boat.

I know many people recommned to use the local transport and thats great but I am also a worry wart and worse now after that experience. So for a bit extra money I now prefer to use P&O and then I don't have to stress out and ruin my cruise experience. Do what you and husband feel comfortable with.

Have a great time. :p

Just wondering about how you said to wear beach shoes on the Cascade waterfall walk.

We are taking a Pand O tour to Cascade Waterfalls mainly because my husband is a major worry wart and it is our first cruise. So it is easier for me to pay the extra waste of money to ensure peace and stress free-ness.

Do you suggest we wear our reef shoes on the whole walk or just pack them in our backpacks for places we do need them??? What do you experienced people do???

I would wear my normal footwear - sandals or whatever and carry the reef shoes in my backpack with my swimmers/towel.

Evon.

Just to let you know that you won't have any change room facilities at the Cascade Waterfalls, so I would suggest to wear clothes that you are happy getting wet in.

There is a small change room/toilet near the entrance to the falls. We have used it. To save time, it would be a good idea to start off with clothes over your swimmers. There probably wouldn't be enough time for a lot of people to take turns getting changed after your swim.

Evon.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are of the same mind since it is our first cruise and hubby is a stress head (and has been watching too much of the tv show "trouble in paradise" LOL) that we would book with p&o. That way at least he might relax and enjoy our holiday.

Dani

Archived