Create your own door chain

s318830

I am a huge advocate of those 3M removeable hooks you can buy. I bring lots of them on my cruises and use them for hanging towels, lanyards, and all kinds of stuff. I recently realized they come in handy to solve another problem cruising parents have... the lack of a door chain to keep kids from escaping from staterooms.

When traveling with the kids I prefer connecting cabins over the family suites since you get more space, two bathrooms, and a door you can close during nap times. I bring a baby monitor with me so that I can hear what's happening on the other side of the door, but that doesn't completely solve the issue of potential escape artists. And the cruise line doesn't like you doing anything on a semi-permanent basis (like tape or temporarily removing th handle (I've heard of those methods, not done them myself) because they can damage the door or create a safety hazzard.

So back to the simple solution... Use two hooks, one on the door and one on the wall next to the door. The tape with the hooks works well, but is easily removed at the end without damaging or leaving residue on the surfaces. Angle the hooks so they face away from eachother, but at an angle where the 'chain' won't just fall off on its own. Then create a 'chain' from either an actual chain you can buy at Home depot and attach two split rings on either end. Or you could use some sturdy twine and attach the split rings to that. (FYI... split rings are the kind of rings you use for keychains). You can easily attach it when the kids are in the cabin and detach it when you want to.

Also, the chain doesn't prevent someone from getting into the room in a real emergency. The 3M tape isn't THAT strong. But it'll certainly foil a child and any but a determined adult.

Archived