Info required on Thomson Spirit

Hi all

New to this site but cruised for the last 8 years on and off, we are on board the Spirit in October (Jewels of the Med) and have never sailed on her before, have read some bad reports on other sites, (vibration, service, food problems) has anybody been on her recently and can give any info on her?, also we are in an inside cabin this time and never done that before either ,always had a window or balcony, wifes idea as she says that if we like it we can have more cruises 'cos it'll be cheaper (why didnt I think of that)so any tips on inside cabins will be most welcome, have cruised with Thomson before on Destiny and that was fabulous so we're hoping that Spirit will be fab as well.

Thanking you all in anticipation.;)

Going on this ship on the 7th of August so will be able to give you an upto the minute report but I have sailed on her before and went on the Celebration (same ship basically) in April. The vibration is there but after the first few days you hardly notice it. Well I don't!!

Hi wavehopper

were going on the same cruise on 23rd octber 2009 jewels of the med

flying from newcastle

read quite a few reviews maj are good

seems like woolybully knows what he is doing

tom

Hi all

New to this site but cruised for the last 8 years on and off, we are on board the Spirit in October (Jewels of the Med) and have never sailed on her before, have read some bad reports on other sites, (vibration, service, food problems) has anybody been on her recently and can give any info on her?, also we are in an inside cabin this time and never done that before either ,always had a window or balcony, wifes idea as she says that if we like it we can have more cruises 'cos it'll be cheaper (why didnt I think of that)so any tips on inside cabins will be most welcome, have cruised with Thomson before on Destiny and that was fabulous so we're hoping that Spirit will be fab as well.

Hi all

Hi i sailed on the Spirit in March and although there was a little vibration on times it was nothing to worry about, The food was excellent and the service first class and the staff amazing could not do enough for you. I had an outside cabin but would not worry about having an inside one if i went again. Cabins were spotless and plenty of room for the amount of time spent in there .An excellent ship i am sure you will enjoy it

Hi All

Thanks for that, we're on the 9th October cruise flying out of East Mids (it's just up the road from us), sorry should have mentioned that. Cant wait,wifes already shopping for yet more clothes dont know why she's got loads anyway, ah well looks like I'll have to make do again.;)

thanks for the reply wavehopper,

tell me is the drinks package worth buying

and can you upgrade on the ship or have you got to book it before hand

is it possible for us to swop email addresses to to chat

BUZZFARE

Hi Buzzfare

We had the drinks package on our last cruise on Thomson Destiny and to be honest unless you drink absolute loads its not worth it, my wife's a cheap date as she doesn't drink and you need to drink about £40-£50.00 a day each to make it pay and thats a lot of booze, if memory serves bottled wine at the table isn't included nor are certain branded drinks.

I think you can only book it before you cruise but speak to your T.A. and they'll put you right about that.

Wavehopper.;)

thanks for the reply wavehopper,

tell me is the drinks package worth buying

and can you upgrade on the ship or have you got to book it before hand

is it possible for us to swop email addresses to to chat

BUZZFARE

Whether the drink package is worth it depends on your drinking habits. The cost is £169/7 = £24 a day.

On the face of it this seems alot, but you only have to have a few cold soft drinks, a couple of speciality coffees, and a couple of cocktails around the pool during the day for it to add up. This is even before you have a drink in the evening with your meal and during the live shows.

It is not worth it for a lot of people, but the wife and I have found that we would have spent a lot more for the drink if we were paying individually so we have just booked it for our cruise in two weeks time.

Hope this helps

thanks all

thanks john for that i like a coffe or two during the day and a couple of pints but its the wife who is an alcoholic and she can get through some booze i recon she she can muster up at least 50 quids worth of drink a day easily, lol and by the time i have a couple on a night time weve worked out at about 60 quid plus a day,

ill keep in touch with wavehopper and woolybully to see progress

cheers all Tom

hi john

you seem to like cruising by the list of cruises you have done you must recomend thompsons BUZZFARE

Whether the drink package is worth it depends on your drinking habits. The cost is £169/7 = £24 a day.

On the face of it this seems alot, but you only have to have a few cold soft drinks, a couple of speciality coffees, and a couple of cocktails around the pool during the day for it to add up. This is even before you have a drink in the evening with your meal and during the live shows.

It is not worth it for a lot of people, but the wife and I have found that we would have spent a lot more for the drink if we were paying individually so we have just booked it for our cruise in two weeks time.

Hope this helps

hi john

you seem to like cruising by the list of cruises you have done you must recomend thompsons BUZZFARE

Hi Buzzfare,

Yes, we love the Thomson cruises, we like the informal nature of them and would not like the P &O type cruises were it is more formal with dinner jackets etc

We keep saying we will try another cruise line, and this year I was going to book the Ocean Village, which was roughly the same price as the Celebration, but it is the AI drinks package that seems to always keep us loyal. Apart from the drinks, I like knowing that we do not have to worry about a big bill at the end of the cruise.

My daughter keeps asking to go on the Royal Caribbean cruises, and I have promised her I will take her next year, but with drinks at $6 a go and 15% on top it will have to be a relatively drink free cruise.

We always try and book early enough to get the AI drinks package included. If you add up a couple of coffees (approx £1.50) plus a couple of cocktails (even the non alcoholic ones), a couple of glasses of wine with your meal, then gin and tonics or bacardi and cokes whilst watching the show, it would make sense to buy the AI package.

Don't know if you've already booked your cabin but we prebook a cabin on one of the lower decks (haven't got brochure at the moment and can't remember the number) but there is one cabin that is really big. We had that last year and it was great. Although the other cabins are a decent size as well.

Ann

Just sailed on the Spirit (Baltic) inside cabin deck 4, she rattles and shakes a lot more than the Celebration. Cleanliness on the Celebration is of a much higher standard. Probably due to the fact that Celebration staff have Thomson contracts and Spirit are Louis line. That said, the Spirit has acceptable cleaning standards (just not as vigorous) mid ship deck 5 did has a permanent sewage stench though.

Celebration staff could always be seen cleaning.

Quite a few passengers commented on the worsening Rattles and bangs on Spirit. Horizons was awful some days, felt like you were sat on a 500ft pneumatic drill.

All the above did not detract from a great holiday (apart from Aalborg) did not dock for weather reasons. Checked with the Aalborg port authority when we arrived home, the weather was not too rough for the ship to enter port (reason given by our Captain) Mr personality. Very easy to use "safety of passengers blurb".

All in all you will enjoy the spirit as the food and entertainment are A1 (apart from Bass player in raffles) check him out, he doesn't actually play....quite funny

If you get short changed on any trips, ie 4hours instead of 5, make sure you complain, we did, got a third of our money back.

Just got back from the sailing on the Spirit yesterday, so feeling quite sad! I didn't have any problem with the cleaning standards and as I sailed on the Celebration in April they were no worse. Every Thompson cruise I have been on as been exceptionally clean and the staff work very hard to keep it so. The ship itself does vibrate a little but only in certain places I found like near the bar in the Broadway Mezzane lounge. To be honest tho you just get used to it and it never bothers me at all! The entertainment was brilliant as always and the staff were the friendlist I have had the pleasure to sail with! Roll on the next cruise!

Just returned from a weeks cruise to the Norwegian Fjords--7th August departure. Yes there is a vibration in certain parts of the ship but nothing really to worry about.

We were so impressed with the entertainment team performing in the Broadway Lounge--absolutely top class. My wife and I are frequent visitors to London's West End musicals and I have to say that the Spirit team compare very favourably.

The food was fine although personally I preferred the choice and quality on the Ocean Village--also meal times were a bit hectic and crowded but still OK.

As for the destinations we were reasonably lucky with the weather, considering the forecast before we left. We were a bit disappointed by the Flam railway--a bit over hyped we thought. We got up early and booked the railway ourselves and took the first train at 8.35am. In the afternoon we booked a 3 hour cruise up the fjords--excellent trip booked in the Tourist Office for 33krone each.

Archived