Athens on Greek holiday

ottawa 204

Hello Fafos,

We are fortunate to have your expertise on the boards. We will be in Athens on Nov 17 a Greek holliday. Since we have been there several times before we would like to do something different. We have been discouraged to go to Delphi as the traffic will be considerable. Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated.:)

lesley

Hello Fafos,

We are fortunate to have your expertise on the boards. We will be in Athens on Nov 17 a Greek holliday. Since we have been there several times before we would like to do something different. We have been discouraged to go to Delphi as the traffic will be considerable. Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated.:)

lesley

I don't know how many free hours you will have this day...

if you have more than 7-8 hours, my opinion is to visit my birth town Nafplion..

you can make a tour: Athens-> Corinth (canal and Ancient Corinth)->

Mycenae-> Nafplion (town and ancient Tiryns)-> Epidaurus (ancient theater) -> back to Athens

this tour is 8-9 hours...

if you don't have so many hours, another nice place is Hydra island.. you can go there with hydrofoil from Pireaus and you will need 5-6 hours..

Thanks Fafos,

We dock at 8a.m and leave at 6pm. We would love to take the land tour but I am a little nervous about the length. Is there a way to do it partially? Since it is a holliday should we count on extra time? Do we need to hire a guide? Trip sounds wonderful. If we decide to go to Hydra do we pick up a hydrafoil close to where we dock.

Sorry for soooooo many questions, but it is comforting to talk to someone who knows the city so well.

lesley

Thanks Fafos,

We dock at 8a.m and leave at 6pm. We would love to take the land tour but I am a little nervous about the length. Is there a way to do it partially? Since it is a holliday should we count on extra time? Do we need to hire a guide? Trip sounds wonderful. If we decide to go to Hydra do we pick up a hydrafoil close to where we dock.

Sorry for soooooo many questions, but it is comforting to talk to someone who knows the city so well.

lesley

November 17th is a school holiday and you don't meet traffic at highways... if you want to do it partially, don't go to Ancient Corinth (you save 1.5-2 hours)..

The best guide is google:p googleit and you will find million information about these places...

is too early for know the hours.. check this website: http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

Hydrafoils to Hydra are at the other side of Pireaus port (near metro station):

map_en.gif

(Gate E8)

is early for know the hours.. check this website: http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

I don't know how many free hours you will have this day...

if you have more than 7-8 hours, my opinion is to visit my birth town Nafplion..

you can make a tour: Athens-> Corinth (canal and Ancient Corinth)->

Mycenae-> Nafplion (town and ancient Tiryns)-> Epidaurus (ancient theater) -> back to Athens

this tour is 8-9 hours...

if you don't have so many hours, another nice place is Hydra island.. you can go there with hydrofoil from Pireaus and you will need 5-6 hours..

Hello Fafos,

We are planning a trip like you mentioned.

We have booked with a tour company and they mentioned, Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth, Mycenae and maybe Nafplion if time permits, or Nemea

We are being picked up at 8:00 in Piraeus and want to return by 5:00P.

We are a group of 6.

I would really love to see Nafplion. Do you think that's doable?

How much farther away is Nafplion from Mycenae?

What are the highlights?

Any suggestions would be great. Our tour is completely flexible.

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

Mari

Hello Fafos,

We are planning a trip like you mentioned.

We have booked with a tour company and they mentioned, Corinth Canal, Ancient Corinth, Mycenae and maybe Nafplion if time permits, or Nemea

We are being picked up at 8:00 in Piraeus and want to return by 5:00P.

We are a group of 6.

I would really love to see Nafplion. Do you think that's doable?

How much farther away is Nafplion from Mycenae?

What are the highlights?

Any suggestions would be great. Our tour is completely flexible.

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

Mari

Nemea has some ancients there but you must spend 2-3 hours and better use for visit Nafplion...

Nafplion from Mycenae is 20 minutes (10-12 miles)... more time I believe you spend at Mycenae sites and the museum in there..

in Nafplion you must see Palamidi castle and make a walking in old town.. if you have time visit Ancient Tiryns (between Mycenae and Nafplion)..

you need 3-4 hours for the trip and 4-5 hours for see the sites.. I believe you don't have problem with your time..

for lunch you can go in Mycenae village or in Nafplion or at the middle of the route between Myceane and Nafplion go to my mother and she make the best "Lemonato" and "Pastitsio" in Greece:D

Nemea has some ancients there but you must spend 2-3 hours and better use for visit Nafplion...

Nafplion from Mycenae is 20 minutes (10-12 miles)... more time I believe you spend at Mycenae sites and the museum in there..

in Nafplion you must see Palamidi castle and make a walking in old town.. if you have time visit Ancient Tiryns (between Mycenae and Nafplion)..

you need 3-4 hours for the trip and 4-5 hours for see the sites.. I believe you don't have problem with your time..

for lunch you can go in Mycenae village or in Nafplion or at the middle of the route between Myceane and Nafplion go to my mother and she make the best "Lemonato" and "Pastitsio" in Greece:D

Fafos,

Thank you for the information.

I have no doubt that "Mama" makes the best Lemonato and Pastitsio.:)

I'll propose this trip to Paul, as it's exactly what I want to do.

It sounds like a wonderful day.

One last question, how are the roads from Athens to where we're going?

I always ask, since my husband is not fond of windy mountain roads.

I have to prepare him as to what to expect.

Thank again,

Mari

Fafos,

Thank you for the information.

I have no doubt that "Mama" makes the best Lemonato and Pastitsio.:)

I'll propose this trip to Paul, as it's exactly what I want to do.

It sounds like a wonderful day.

One last question, how are the roads from Athens to where we're going?

I always ask, since my husband is not fond of windy mountain roads.

I have to prepare him as to what to expect.

Thank again,

Mari

There are 2 small parts of your trip where the roads are a bit old... the part from Corinth to Ancient Corinth (2-3 miles) and the part from Corinth's highway to Mycenae (2-3 miles too) but all other roads are highway or flat without mountains etc..

Archived