Food and wine

rlujhf

A couple of food and wine questions from a first-time Costa cruiser:

1.) Can you give us some thoughts on first seating vs. second seating? We're frequent visitors to Italy, so we're used to eating later in the evening. What are the advantages and disadvantages for each seating, specific to Costa? For example, is there some version of the evening's entertainment available if we choose the second seating? That kind of thing.

2.) What is Costa's wine list like in terms of varieties, prices, etc.? We're wine drinkers and are trying to decide whether to order a la carte or by the X-1 package.

Reply from Costa to a couple of queries.

What are forfeit wines and what drinks can be purchased in the 6.99 limit?

Forfeit wines are a selection of wines onboard. There will be a list of these onboard.

The open bar service includes all drinks under 6.99 Euros, so this will include Vodka and Whiskey and all other drinks, as long as they are under this price

Can more than 1 wine/water package be purchases?

If you choose to purchase the special or classic wine selections, you can but as many of these as you wish"

:)

i cannot help u about special offers about wine because when i sail i don't usually drink wine at meals.

about entertainment ,lateley they have moved the second sitting show BEFORE dinner so if u have the first sitting u'll see the show after dinner and if u have the second sitting u'll have the shows BEFORE dinner ( consider that if dinner is at about 21 the show can be at 20 or even 19.30 sometimes)

I'll try to answer your two questions based on my Costa experience and of course personal opinion:

1) The first seating is at 19:00, the second at 21:30. The starting time for entertainment in the theater depends on the day and the particular show. One option has the first show at 20:00 for the second restaurant seating and 21:45 for the first; another option has the first seating show starting at 22:00 and the second at 23:30. I've seen it both ways. Now the pros and cons regarding the seatings. The first is usually where you find the kids and can be noisy; then you frequently feel the wait staff is trying to get you to finish and leave so they can clean and set up for the second seating. The second seating is mostly adults and usually more relaxing. My opinions.

2) I never take one of the wine packages because I prefer to choose what I want from the extensive wine list the waiter will show you. I usually choose an excellent Italian wine, either white or red depending on what we're going to eat. Prices per bottle usually fall into the €18-20 range for the whites and €21-23 for the reds. Examples: the white Greco di Tufo is €18 and the red nero d'avola at €23. Of course there are cheaper wines (those that you generally find in the X1) and more expensive as well. We usually drink only half the bottle and the waiter will save the rest for us for the next meal. If you drink mineral water you might consider buying (when you get on the ship) the water package - 13 bottles at €2 each instead of the regular price of €2.50. You can use the water coupons both in the restaurant and with your cabin's minibar.

Enjoy your cruise.

:confused: Can anyone help me regarding the drinks package? I will be going on board in October and as I like to stay by the pool all day and read, and my partner will around the ship and having drinks in the bar etc. How do we charge the drinks to our room and can you do that when your not in the same bar? Do they give you a card (or two) or do you just book the drinks to your room? Will the drinks package still work whilst you are in seperate areas on the ship?

Also are towels provided at the pool area for swimmers or do you need to take your own?

When you embark you have to state if the occupants of the cabin will share one onboard account (e.g. 1 credit card will be charged) or separate accounts. You will receive your Costa Card (on some ships also the key to your cabin), on all Costa ships when you buy a drink or service you give the waiter your Costa Card and then you sign off the bill (the item in question will then be charge to your onboard account). So as each cabin occupant will have their own Costa Card you will not have to be handcuffed all day long, each can go their own separate way.

With regards to drinks packages, the X1 and Wine Packages are only available in the restaurant and buffet (and only during open times of these facilities). The all embracing J2 (very new package and not all the terms and conditions are known) is available in the bars and from the mini bars, don't know if it is available at the pool side.

With regards to towels, you certainly do not have to take your own, they are providied frre of charge and as many as you need. Also when going on beach excursions Costa will also supply a beach/bath towel.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We used the X1 in the buffet at lunchtimes this was between about 11.30 and 15.00 If you are sat out in the open deck at these times you can also use it there. Dont be afraid to ask the staff every one of them were very helpful and did not mind explaining things to you It took us a few days to get the hang of it but we certainly found it well worth the money. In the dining room it also included water by the bottle

Archived