Disappointment with Cunard and QV

adh123

Oh well find another Cruise line, and one where smokers are not frowned upon, good luck with that one. Most Cruise Lines are starting to ban it anyway.

Cruise lines maybe starting to tighten up smoking as to where you can and can't smoke, but as Carnival found out a few years ago with Carnival Paradise, they cannot ban it altogether and expect to continue to fill the ships.

There should always be give and take on ships. Obviously there will be those who hide the ashtrays and make a fuss...more often than not they are ex smokers...but no cruise line can afford to cut it's own throat by banning smoking completely from ships. If they did so, it would surely go underground, just as smuggling booze has done...there are so many ways of doing that you could right a book on it. It isn't that hard to avoid the areas of a ship where smoking is permitted if it grates with you so much, and by the same token, the majority of smokers are careful not to annoy their fellow non smoking passengers too.

I used to smoke but I certainly would never try and stop anyone else smoking if that is what they wanted to do and if they were in the appropriate area of the ship. I might have a quiet word in their shell like if by chance they were smoking out of place, but I wouldn't chastise them for it, just a friendly word incase it was a genuine error...which it might be.

Cruise lines maybe starting to tighten up smoking as to where you can and can't smoke, but as Carnival found out a few years ago with Carnival Paradise, they cannot ban it altogether and expect to continue to fill the ships.

There should always be give and take on ships. Obviously there will be those who hide the ashtrays and make a fuss...more often than not they are ex smokers...but no cruise line can afford to cut it's own throat by banning smoking completely from ships. If they did so, it would surely go underground, just as smuggling booze has done...there are so many ways of doing that you could right a book on it. It isn't that hard to avoid the areas of a ship where smoking is permitted if it grates with you so much, and by the same token, the majority of smokers are careful not to annoy their fellow non smoking passengers too.

I used to smoke but I certainly would never try and stop anyone else smoking if that is what they wanted to do and if they were in the appropriate area of the ship. I might have a quiet word in their shell like if by chance they were smoking out of place, but I wouldn't chastise them for it, just a friendly word incase it was a genuine error...which it might be.

Thank you for your very reasonable and positive response. Thank goodness that there are people like you around here!:)

Hear hear.

And I'm a non smoker, for the record.

Same here :) I was a smoker as well. (If I'm honest I still enjoy the odd one occasionally ;) ) My partner still smokes. When we travel we like smoking accommodation - if we can't get that accommodation then he doesn't smoke. However he doesn't appreciate being told off for smoking in a smokers ares by some sanctimonious little prat! (Not you Goldryder :) )

BTW Where in York are you?

So if someone has problems on their particular cruise, it does not mean they are "whining",or that they "did not travel on the ship". For myself I would like someone with a bad experience to be specific about the incident, rather than a general "the cruise was bad and I will never use that ship (line) again". also please tell us which class of cabin occupied. Telling that the table steward was wonderful, the cabin was spacious etc etc may be true for the poster in the Queens Grill or suite but someone in D8 and dining in Britannia could have a bad table waiter, and a bad cabin steward
Agreed. I ended up with a really bad waiter on my last QM2 trip in Britannia and it coloured my whole opinion of the ship at the time. It didn't help that I was expecting service on par with QE2's Mauretania Dining Room, which was always excellent.

Do we wish to know this ? My answer is a resounding YES, otherwise all we would have would be the public relations blurb put out by the media.

It may be true that reading a "complaint" I would think "that is petty" however the right to say what happened is important.

Sometimes what is petty to others does matter to the ones concerned. Instance on my trip on the QV, I asked at dinner for "a pot of XXXX tea" now although other tables had passengers receiving pots of tea my waiter brought me a just cup of hot water, and the tea bag in the saucer was not the type I had ordered. No excuse for that IMO

Disembarkation, I received 3 different envelopes , containing 3 different sets of instruction with hours of each other. On the day waiting for a wheelchair with at least 20 others in Chart Room, we sat from 8.30 until 12 noon, without a single wheelchair, no water, no help.

Reason QV had FORGOTTEN us. People missed transport, planes etc. again simply no excuse for that treatment.

Did I complain to Cunard, yes, was it addressed no I received back computer answer 101, which showed mycomplaint had been forwarded to QM2!!!! again simply no excuse for that.

As for it being the first posting well we all have to start somewhere.

I hope I havent come across as a whinging wet blanket - its just that I or we felt very let down - with Cunards reputation we just expected better - as for the smoking - I am a smoker and fully respect non smokers right not to be subject to my smoke BUT if they are in the smoking area then they shouldnt tut at me for smoking!

We do feel we did not have value for money - we didnt feel the ship had much atmosphere - we didnt think the entertainment was very good compared to other ships companies efforts - its not too much to ask or expect waiters to be touring the decks, lounges etc doing what they are being paid for i.e. serving the customers

I've got it all off my very large chest now and thank you one and all for your comments although some of you have been a little bit aggressive I think - I'm only expressing my opinion!:cool:

...We do feel we did not have value for money - we didnt feel the ship had much atmosphere - we didnt think the entertainment was very good compared to other ships companies efforts - its not too much to ask or expect waiters to be touring the decks, lounges etc doing what they are being paid for i.e. serving the customers...

I wonder if, to a certain extent, Cunard might be suffering from similar cutbacks that other CCL lines have been dealing with?

I wonder if, to a certain extent, Cunard might be suffering from similar cutbacks that other CCL lines have been dealing with?
My personal opinion as a TA? Free and worth what it costs - Cunard is suffering from attempting to publicize themselves as a luxury line when the reality is they are a premium line. Certainly they have some luxury classes with their Grill services, but then so do other mainstream lines such as NCL and their "Villas."

Non-grill service is still lovely, but it's not luxury, at least not as it is defined in the industry. Folks expecting top of line Seabourn style, and find themselves lucky to get HAL or Princess quality in Britannia class tend to be a bit disappointed.

Just my worthless opinion.

Same here :) I was a smoker as well. (If I'm honest I still enjoy the odd one occasionally ;) ) My partner still smokes. When we travel we like smoking accommodation - if we can't get that accommodation then he doesn't smoke. However he doesn't appreciate being told off for smoking in a smokers ares by some sanctimonious little prat! (Not you Goldryder :) )

BTW Where in York are you?

I only gently nudge someone if they are smoking in the wrong place in genuine error...and that is often easy to do when on the outside deck areas, many cruisers don't actually know their port from their starboard side and some lines stipulate one or the other for smoking - might be an idea to put the English translation on the signs too, ie 'left side' or 'right side' ;)

I am on the Holgate/Acomb border of York...and cannot wait for my escape next March ;)

Sorry my reply was posted before I finished.

Inside D8 passengers are not "sanctimonious " as Time Will Tell implies.

Sorry if taking a "cheap cabin " offends, there can be many reasons, in my case as a solo I have to pay a supplement, and as a solo I do not need a "suite"

I still think we have to remember that cruises are not "quality controlled" like a packet of cornflakes. Ships staff change with each cruise, an excellent worker gets off and a "work to rule, do as little as possible without geting fired" worker gets on to fill that position.

Recognising this is not being sanctimonious. It is recognising reality.

Nor is it sanctimonious to recognise that the service I receive in my D8 cabin will NOT be of the same level as that received in a "butler provided Queens Grill suite (penthouse)

If a complaint is made from someone experiencing poor service in Britannia, it does no good for a Queen Grill passenger to write "I was on that cruise and I found the service wonderful (exceptional, super, etc)."

I will continue to read the reviews hoping the posters will give me information as to cabin class, dining room, times, etc, so that I can form and realistic view . and yes I will continue to book inside D8 cabins - and hope to be treated as a valued client

Inside D8 passengers are not "sanctimonious " as Time Will Tell implies.

Actually, to be fair, I neither said nor implied this.

Sorry if taking a "cheap cabin " offends, there can be many reasons, in my case as a solo I have to pay a supplement, and as a solo I do not need a "suite"

You have completely misunderstood what I was saying.

Some of my best friends book insides.

I was merely referring to the sanctimonious little pipsqueak who continues to bang his own drum for reasons I have yet to fathom.

One passenger, and one passenger only. In his case, one too many even when he is solo.

Totally agree Gav.

J

Hi Cruachan, hope you dont mind me butting into this thread but just read your comments on another thread about cabins 6004 and 6003, Ive just been allocated 6004 (forward facing oceanview) on the world next year and you sounded pretty informed about these cabins ,Anything you can tell me about the layout???/ Thanks...roscoe:D

Hi Cruachan, hope you dont mind me butting into this thread but just read your comments on another thread about cabins 6004 and 6003, Ive just been allocated 6004 (forward facing oceanview) on the world next year and you sounded pretty informed about these cabins ,Anything you can tell me about the layout???/ Thanks...roscoe:D

Hiya Roscoe,

My comments on the other thread were based entirely on what could be seen of those cabins from the outside. I'm afraid I've never set foot in one. IIRC they are both classed as Ocean View cabins but are slightly unusual in that they have a view forward over the bow. My main worry about them was the fact that they are right at the end of the corridor and, immediately outside the cabin is a door that leads to a short section of outside deck immediately below the bridge. If not handled correctly that door slams with a force that would put a small tactical nuclear device to shame. I thought that, on occasions, this could be a bit irritating for the occupants. However, on our last cruise I don't remember the doors to that little outside area ever being open so maybe it's not as big a problem as I once thought. It's certainly an interesting location but I don't know that you'd get much a view over the bow as most of it is going to be obscured by the solid "rail" round the outside deck. Sorry I can't be more help.

J

Hiya Roscoe,

My comments on the other thread were based entirely on what could be seen of those cabins from the outside. I'm afraid I've never set foot in one.

J

thanks J., we noted these cabins last year when we stood outside them going through the Suez and admittedly tried to peer in through the windows..:eek:.(Im incorrigible!)Your comments about the doors are very relevant, I knew some people in one of the suites on 5001 in the corner and they were moved because of the doors slamming.

I of course am thrilled...not only do i get to look over the bow side, as few cabins do, but it was an upgrade from a d7...to a d5...to this c1...so im thrilled and not looking a gifthorse in the mouth!

They are the biggest of the C1s, so curious about the cabin layout...guess it will have to wait, thanks again...regards roscoe

Archived