Booking next cruise while onboard

awsmpa

I have read that there could be substantial savings if a future cruise is booked while on a cruise. We are sailing Celebrity Infinity 11/09 and if we like what we see we want to book an Alaska cruise for 2010. Any feedback on your past experience is appreciated.

No discount on the cruise, but you do get on board credit for the newly booked cruise which is based on the number of nights. We always book while on board so we have something else to look forward to when we get home! ;)

If you search the boards for "OBC" or something like that, you should find lots of information. There is also a new program that allows you to buy a certificate that can be applied to a future cruise once you are home and still get the on board credit. I have not done it personally, so I can't explain that one.

No discount on the cruise, but you do get on board credit for the newly booked cruise which is based on the number of nights. We always book while on board so we have something else to look forward to when we get home! ;)

If you search the boards for "OBC" or something like that, you should find lots of information. There is also a new program that allows you to buy a certificate that can be applied to a future cruise once you are home and still get the on board credit. I have not done it personally, so I can't explain that one.

On our last cruise (Alaska in May 2008) we put down a $200 deposit on a unspecified cruise (i.e. we didn't pick a ship or itinerary). We were given a booking reservation number and a letter confirming the deposit. When I booked our next cruise (Eastern Med on Equinox in October 2009), we used this booking number and got a $150 shipboard credit as a result. The $200 was applied as part of the deposit on the new cruise. The booking can also be transferred to your favorite travel agent (by faxing a form to Celebrity), who may give you additional incentives for booking through them.

Basically, if you plan on sailing Celebrity in the future, there is little risk in booking it while on a current cruise. Any money you put down will be applied to the next cruise, and you will get some amount of ship credit. The only drawback is that the $200 is not refundable. However, the reservation never expires.

I believe the ship credit amount is based on the cost of the new cruise, not its duration, but this has changed several times in the past couple of years.

We never wait to book onboard unless our sailing is within a few weeks of deciding when to cruise again. By waiting to book onboard, the cost of the cruise could go up more than your onboard credit. That happened to us once, we actually lost money by waiting to book onboard.

Also, the onboard booking credit can not be combined with the shareholder credit (if you own RCL stock). And sometimes the shareholder credit is more than the onboard booking credit.

Archived