Friar's Bay-lovely beach, but bring your own KFC

Jogafur

We're just back from St Martin wanted to give folks a head's up. We rented a car, as the island is easy to drive. We wanted to avoid the usual tourist-filled beaches. After doing a bit of research, we decided on Friar's Bay beach.

It's a bit of a drive, and the traffic going into the French town of Marigot was slow, but once we reached the actual town, it flowed much more smoothly. We found the beach without any trouble, just followed the map and the signs.

The beach is rather secluded and almost rural. We loved it. There is a beach front bar where you can buy beer, food, drinks, and rent a lounge chair.

The prices for a beer (Carib) are kinda high for St Martin, at US $3.00, when you can get it for US $1 on the Dutch side in Phillipsburg, but what the hey.

The real shocker, for us at least, was the price of food. I did not realize that the US dollars was worth less than the Euro. We ended up paying US $97.00 for hamburgers and fries for 6 people, no beverages!

When we questioned it, we received a huge serving of French "attitude" as a side dish, being told that the US dollar is "weak, and get USED to it!" Needless to say, if I ever go back there, and I well may, we're definitely buying KFC and a case of Carib and schlepping it to the beach, just like we do at home in Florida!

Actually, the sad news is that the dollar has been sliding down for quite a while (and not just against the Euro). I really hope this trend stops and that the dollar at least gets valued back close to a 1-to-1 with the Euro. Otherwise, there will be no European travel for us (and many others we know) for the forseeable future.

Thanks for info on the beach. It sounds nice, but next trip we will definitely pick up our Carib (one of the few beers I actually like) in Philipsburg. I like the idea of stopping for local take-out too. Heck, KFC is pretty much everywhere. I'd rather have something different.

Oh, the French "snide" attitude isn't universal. We had friends who visited France last summer. They met some wonderful people and told us they were treated very well. My mom went to France last winter and had a great time with no problems at all. I've never been to France, so I have no first-hand experience; maybe someday.

beachchick

Actually, the sad news is that the dollar has been sliding down for quite a while (and not just against the Euro). I really hope this trend stops and that the dollar at least gets valued back close to a 1-to-1 with the Euro. Otherwise, there will be no European travel for us (and many others we know) for the forseeable future.

Ahh yes the US debt and the plunging value of the dollar. A trillion here and a trillion there and pretty soon it's like REAL MONEY. You think the value is low now, just wait. When the US has to borrow every single dollar spent to run the government and pay for all the give-aways it will continue to get worse. Just hope the Asians continue to loan us that money and so we can exist! Hate to think what would happen without it.

We just returned from a trip to Friars Bay and concur that it is a lovely beach area- not too crowded and very beautiful We ate lunch- yes a bit pricey but the lunch "came with beach chairs and umbrellas" and the French service was a plus for us! highly recommend this spot for a day trip-We rented a car and it took 25 minutes from thepier.

We happened to stumble upon Friars Beach a couple years ago by accident. I agree...what a secluded and lovely spot!! However, our drive to get there reminded me of a war-torn mine field. Luckily we had rented jeeps...but I would have hated to try that road in a little car!! Hopefully that is all fixed by now!

Deb

Archived