What kind of looks am I going to get ? If I show up to the dinner room in a nice pair

Mrteeshot

of shorts ,a nice shirt and a pair of sandals? LOL

I am not much of a fancy dresser and do not own a suit ,

I could always put on a pair of white socks with the sandals though LOL

I just had to read because of the thread title...

Fellow cruisers will shun you....cruise staff will mock you....small children will kick you in the shin....you will be compared to the lowlifes that throw message bottles overboard and smuggle booze!

Seriously...enjoy and don't stress...if you are clean and neat, you'll be fine!

Last week this guy showed up in plaid shorts, white shoes, and a little captains hat in the dining room; and no one paid it any attention....after a while. :D I even seen young people come in wearing sandals, shorts and hats. No one really got twisted out of shape over it at all.

We just got back from a Princess cruise and my husband worn a nice pair of dark jeans/nice golf shirt (not torn etc) in the dining room for most of the cruise. And on the formal nights he wore dress pants/collared shirt (no tie). He was comfortable and didn't feel out of place. There were lots of people in tuxes and lots of people dressed like my DH.

On our upcoming Carnival cruise he'll be doing the same thing. It makes him much more comfortable and he can pack less.

Last February on the Liberty we had "pirates" at dinner. It was a group of people... I think there were 30-40 total who were all from Key West. For elegant nights they dressed up in full pirate regalia - swashbucklers and bar maids alike.

I wore sandals to dinner in the MDR myself. I don't think anyone will even notice. I'd skip the socks though! That's like wearing a red flag. LOL

Patty

clean is my key..you don t want people losing their appetite or barfing when you have cow pies between your toes..:D

if it s Carnival, no big deal..just show your trying to fit in..

Holland..you might be left off at the next port..:cool:

Personally, if I were seated at your table, I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face. If I had had a couple of adult beverages prior to your arrival, I would no doubt ROTFLMAO. Sorry, just being honest here.

You put the white socks on you are bound to get the looks. :p

this is taken from the Carnival site, and it says you can wear shorts.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Onboard no one will care. Here, now that is a different story. Some people have no sense of humor.:p

I guess that is there choice to be the way they are, the rules are they can wear long shorts. That is the way it is.:p

That would depend on how good your legs look ...:p

As long as you stick to the recommend dress code of the ship, no one can complain. I think it's cool when everyone dresses up on formal night. Wife loves it. I normally just rent the tux. Less to pack and it's really convenient. Just don't forget your own black socks. Tuxes don't come with socks. :) Found that out the hard way first cruise.

I think the dressing nice brings back some nostalgia about cruises from yesteryear. (Stuff I only saw in the movies).

Wife loves getting our photos on formal nights. Only time she really ever gets me in a tux or suit.

That would depend on how good your legs look ...:p

And THIS.

Seriously, we can't answer these questions with good info until we got pics of the legs. Okay look:

31shorts-600.jpg

Contestant#1: You need the red tie and I hope you found your bike.

Contestant#2: Loose the jacket and stop laughing at the photographer.

Contestant#3: Raaaawwr.

As long as you stick to the recommend dress code of the ship, no one can complain. I think it's cool when everyone dresses up on formal night. Wife loves it. I normally just rent the tux. Less to pack and it's really convenient. Just don't forget your own black socks. Tuxes don't come with socks. :) Found that out the hard way first cruise.

I think the dressing nice brings back some nostalgia about cruises from yesteryear. (Stuff I only saw in the movies).

Wife loves getting our photos on formal nights. Only time she really ever gets me in a tux or suit.

Same here. I would rather wear some nice shorts and shirt...but my wife has only seen me dressed up 2 times, wedding day and Honeymoon cruise...so she informed me :Dthat I would be taking my suit with me

Archived