Malaria pills

dancing

How many of past, present and future Panama Canal cruisers have or going to take malaria pills while on the cruise? Has anyone asked Princess what their recommendation would be? does it matter which excursions you take?

many thanks

Up until now, I have not heard of anyone having to take them for the PC cruise. We are scheduled on it this spring and have no plans at all to take them. If they were needed, I am sure the cruise lines would put out the word so everyone could be prepared.

I just returned from a 15 day Panama canal cruise ( Regal Dec 9-24) and found no reason for malaria pills. In fact this time of year there were hardly any mosquitoes at all. The only place I think you might need something might be if you go on excursions near any water. And, then a heavy duty repellant is probably sufficient. That is just my opinion. You could look into it further if you like.

You'd want to check this advice with a doctor or travel nurse, but I was told that there is absolutely no need for anti-malarials if you are in the Panama Canal zone on a conventional cruise. The reason is that you are only within mosquito range during the day, and malarial mosquitoes are only active at night. The main danger from daytime mosquitoes is dengue fever, for which the best protection is insect repellent.

Been through the Panama three times, and each time, was told no need for anti-malarial medicines.

When we did the Amazon on Princess back in Dec 91, malaria pills were

recommended, along with several innoculations for various illnesses.

Archived