Gov. Fees & Taxes double from TA?

I recently paid final for a cruise through reputable brick & mortar TA that we've used before. On the final invoice Gov. Charges & Fees were double than what they are on the cruise line's web site and another popular on-line site for the same cabin. When I inquired about it, they said it's additional Gov fees that I have to pay and everyone has to pay eventually.

I've cruised only 4x before, but don't remember the discrepancy. Is this really the TA comm? - which don't get me wrong, I know they deserve and I'm so very willing to pay. Or is it the fuel charge that if you book on-line you will eventually have to pay?

Just wondering!

non-commissionable fare and government taxes should be the same for all agencies or the cruise line direct. It should also be the same whether it is online or brick and mortar. The government tax part does change from time to time, but you're locked into the rate you booked it at.

What is the ship and sail date?

Thanks for the feedback.

RCCL Nov 1 to Panama Canal. Charged on invoice from TA $997.56 and on RCCL $494.69 for the cabin. Their response:

The taxes and fees showing are additional government taxes and fees in addition to the port charges and taxes in the cruise fare. We combine all taxes, port charges and fees in your booking and they are $498.78 per person on your invoice.

Again, whenever I've contacted them to let them know I've found a reduced fare, they have definitely complied with it and I do honestly believe they are a fair TA. I would highly recommend them. I just thought the cost on the cruise line site is final (other than gratuity, incidentals, etc.) and that I wouldn't be paying anything different from the site even though I purchased through TA. Maybe on line you're not paying some sort of state sales tax.

Just trying to educate myself here for the next adventure!!

Your right, that is a big difference. However, this actually is a 13 day cruise and we're going all the way through the canal, so I'm wondering if part of the "Gov fees" or "Port Fees" include the fee for the ship to go through the canal. It wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Something is really wrong here!

1)Gov't tax and Port Charges for a ship/sailing are the same no matter whom you book with.

2)There are no Sales Tax's on cruises.

3)TA comm. is paid to TA by the Cruise line , not additionaly by you.

If TA explaination to you is correct , get out now ! Cancel & rebook with a major cruise retailer.

You are still outside of cruise line penalty (70 days)

I agree with the other posters that the charges are not right. I did a quick check on another online travel web site and they also show the $495 tax/fees per cabin for the 11/1 sailing as you have found on RCCL’s web site.

I would print out what you see on RCCL’s site and also another travel agency’s web site’s port/tax charges and bring them to the B&M agency to inquire about the difference.

Best case is they made a clerical error and charged you for 2 cabins worth of port fees and taxes. Worst case is they are ripping you off with the double port taxes and fees. If so, cancel and rebook elsewhere. But also check what these guys might charge you for “cancellation fees”.

It is probably just the way it is broken out on the statements. In the end look at the TOTAL cost between what you're paying and the cruise line site and they are probably the same and nothing to worry about.

Here is my guess:

For this sailing you say the agency told you the taxes and other fees were $997.56. The non-comm charge (port charge) for this sailing doesn't change ever and is $539. That means your gov't taxes when you booked (this DOES change) was probably $458.56, making the total taxes and fees $997.56.

The Royal Caribbean site is set so that it combines cruise fare and non-comm (port charges) on one line and then displays taxes on the other line. That means the $539 part is "hidden" and contained in your cruise fare on the RCCL site and the taxes would be listed as $494.64 (which is the CURRENT rate for taxes on this sailing.

I would call the agency or Royal back and run those figures by them and see if this is the case. If so it is a normal way of displaying price and adds up to the same in the end. Remember if you cancel and rebook you pay the CURRENT taxes, so while your fare might stay the same, it looks from your numbers that your taxes would go up from the $459.46 you locked in to the current $494.64.

Hope that helps

Michael

Thanks for all the feedback. I tend to agree with "mgiven" as I do think this TA is a reputable firm. It will be difficult to compare cruise fees as the TA got with her RCCL rep and confirmed discounts for all of us, no matter what state we were from when RCCL started discounting this cruise based on locale. Then they had an almost $900 drop per cabin for seniors, which everyone in my group received except for my cabin. One and only time I wished I was older!

I do appreciate the effort in the education for furture reference.

Thanks for all the feedback. I tend to agree with "mgiven" as I do think this TA is a reputable firm. It will be difficult to compare cruise fees as the TA got with her RCCL rep and confirmed discounts for all of us, no matter what state we were from when RCCL started discounting this cruise based on locale. Then they had an almost $900 drop per cabin for seniors, which everyone in my group received except for my cabin. One and only time I wished I was older!

I do appreciate the effort in the education for furture reference.

Don't know when you are cruising, but if you have not yet made final payment.... swap one of the Sr.'s out of their stateroom with you (assuming there are 2 Sr.'s in that stateroom already) and then your stateroom will be applicable for the Sr. fare if still available. Then when you board... just play musical staterooms. The change of staterooms and accounts can be done when you board by just a friendly visit to the hotel managers desk i.e pursers desk.

Thanks everyone for the input. We did find out that RCCL includes some of the port charges in their total for the cruise price online, whereas my TA does not. Therefore, our cruise price was lower than the cruise price online. It was difficult to tell as we were getting some additional discounts vs. what was online. It sure would make it easier if everyone listed breakouts the same, but I'm educated now and realize where the difference is at.

Again, thanks for all the input and theories!!

Archived