Does anyone here prefer an inside room?

scrapulous

I don't know about the accuracy of that blanket statement, as of lately, there have been some great promos out their on a few cruiselines where an oceanview could be had for an inside rate or slightly more !

Her statement was her opinion, so you can't really doubt the accuracy of someone's personal opinion (with any credibility). And I actually agree with her, so she's not the only one who holds that opinion. And on the cruises we've booked, there is a big enough difference between the cost of an inside and an OV for us to stay with an inside and spend the money elsewhere.

To the OP: I have a friend who absolutely loves inside cabins because she prefers the room to be pitch black for sleeping. Also, she doesn't think spending the extra money on an oceanview is worth it. A balcony, perhaps, but not an oceanview.

Hubby thinks a window isn't necessary, since we're not planning to be in the room except to sleep and shower, and he'd rather save the extra money for drinks. Are the inside rooms usually smaller, or is the only difference the lack of a window?

I woundn't say I prefer an inside room, but I really don't mind being in an inside cabin. I guess it depends on the price difference. If it's $200 more, or $400 for the two of us, I would opt for an inside cabin. We've had outside window, portal, and balcony and it really made little very little difference to the quality of the cruise. Even on our Panama canal cruise with a very large forward facing balcony, we spent very little time there. We actually prefered hanging out with the other guests enjoying a drink at the aft bar.

As for natural light, we don't spend much time during the day in the cabin. It's usually dark by the time we get back to our room and we are up early to get a start on the day, so not much time to enjoy the light.

I would also prefer an inside cabin in a more desirable location, than an outside cabin in a less than desirable location.

We have done both, and we typically prefer inside.

If you are from a square state, where ocean views are rare, then you might want to book a balcony. But if you are used to ocean views every day anyway, like we are, then you might prefer an inside.

With a balcony, you may have smokers and/or noisy neighbors nearby. It looks nice on the brochure, but when your neighbor starts smoking, then you'll wondered why you paid so much extra to stay inside with the door closed.

My job is ending on August 28 (not my choice), so to soothe my tattered soul, I'm thinking of booking an inexpensive Caribbean cruise in early to mid September. I was thinking of booking an inside room to save on $$. I'm travelling alone this time around, have only stayed in balcony cabin on my other cruises. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

thanks

Lori

I am one of those that the room type is neither here nor there with me. I however always take something midship(location is important to me)

I did a balcony my last cruise and my upcoming one is an inside. While the balcony was nice...it is not a deal breaker with me.

My room is for sleeping and other nocturnal activities.;):D

My upcoming cruise will be my first, but we chose a balcony for a few reasons.

1. We love sitting on a balcony/outside with a glass of wine in our hand watching the sun going down (done this on various holidays, or even when at home)l.

2. Me and DH have different body clocks, I usually like to go to bed earlier than him, so though that when I go to bed he can sit on balcony (we have done this on holiday too). And when I get up earlier than him I can sit in balcony when he is still in bed.

3. We both like natural light and would to hate to wake up in morning, or at any other time and not know whether the sun was up or not.

4. Finally, as this is our first cruise, and its for our 20th wedding anniversary, we think didn't think of the extra expense of a balcony we just thought of the magical experience of it all :)

I've had ocean view and insides. The one and only ocean view cabin I was in, I wasn't paying and didn't have any part of the planning. When I do the planning for my boys and I, I always just get an inside. For me it's the money first, and what we like to do second. I don't like to do much sitting alone on my cruises. We get up and out in the mornings. I like people watching and chatting with "new friends". I actually like sitting with my morning coffee and looking around and seeing the ship around me - what's going on, who's doing what, etc. That's all part of the "experience" for me. We just use the cabin as a place to sleep, shower and keep our stuff!

Archived