Cruising with disabled person

We went on a great cruise last year for my daughters 18th. It was a brilliant holiday :)and our last as a normal family. Sadly my husband has now suffered a stroke:(

Six months on he can hobble about with a stick but is very wobbly and prone to falls but refuses to use a wheelchair.

We would like to go on another cruise but I am worried how we would manage. I know he would HAVE to have a wheelchair or we couldn't do any trips as he cant walk far and only at snails pace. I have seen in our local shopping centre fold up wheelchairs that you can carry over your shoulder so will get one but they don't look very substantial just like the fold out chairs but with wheels lol.

I know there were disabled people on our last cruise with sticks and even in wheelchairs but to be honest I never really noticed them.

I have looked on the deck plans and they do have a few disabled cabins but they are on the high decks which we couldn't afford:rolleyes:

Sorry this post is a ramble what i really would like is any info or advice from anyone who has cruised with a disabled person how did you manage are you restricted to choosing a disabled cabin etc etc.

This has hit us hard one day my hubby was fit and active up a ladder fixing the roof etc etc now he feels his life is worthless. I thought a holiday like we had last year would cheer us all up before our savings run out.

I'm just worried how i would cope.

Don't despair, it is still early days for your husband's recovery. My father-in-law had a stroke in June 08 at 84 and was in hospital being tube-fed, unable to do anything for himself. He has had excellent care from his partner since he came home, although she really had to battle with him to "follow doctor's orders" to help himself!

In January he was well enough to go out for Sunday lunch for his 85th birthday, something we thought would never happen.

He has had physiotherapy to get him walking again, as his brain and left leg no longer work together automatically, he has to concentrate and tell himself "left, left," when he wants to walk.

He has a 4-wheeled walker with a seat so he can go down to the paper shop on his own and take a rest if needed, and he has just got an electric scooter for longer trips.

Could your husband manage in the cabin you'd had before? We saw a wheelchair parked in the corridor on Destiny, obviously the passenger could do without it inside, so it was left outside, folded up.

Would he be happier on a scooter? As far as I know, disabled equipment is carried free of charge by airlines, you just have to pre-book it.

I can understand how this has hit you hard, my mother-in-law went blind virtually overnight so had to suddenly get used to a whole new way of life as a disabled person, it's not easy. However she very quickly decided that if she moped about people would find it off-putting, so she put on a brave face, tried to keep cheerful and isn't afraid to ask for help, which most of the time people are only too happy to offer.

Speak to your travel agent and Thomson and tell them what limitations your husband has and ask them what help is available. Even your waiters will be happy to cut your husband's food up for him if he can't manage it himself, they always do for my mother-in-law, or bone a piece of fish or whatever help she needs.

Hopefully if you all have a nice holiday to look forward to it will give your husband something to aim for.

Best wishes, Carol x

Thanks for replies thats good that we won't have to pay extra for a disabled cabin , although if wheelchairs are allowed to be left in the corridor maybe we could manage in a similar cabin to last year. I did go into our local Thomson TA but they were pretty useless.

Tbh I am not sure if he wants to go at all. He is very negative about everything at the moment. I think he was sure he would have been back at work by now but that seems further away now than it did three months ago. One thing we do (did) enjoy was scuba diving and snorkelling. I don't suppose he will be allowed to dive now but maybe he could float about on the surface.

Do any of the cruises have trips where you can snorkel from the beach? I don't think he could manage a boat. I think we are all realising just how restricted we are now in terms of where we can go.

The waiters etc all sound very helpful but hubby doesn't really accept help. He gets really annoyed if my Mum tries to help him as he used to help her, i know that he feels strokes etc are usually seen in people of her age not his but thats life:mad:

I'm hoping a holiday away will help:)

Archived