Fleece in MDR?

LindaKE

I thought I'd do a little search and see if I could put some perspective on this... the picture below is of a set that is sold as a 'jogging suit in fleece', and in my opinion it is absolutely acceptable in an NCL dining room.

Well that is your opinion--they may pass for breakfast or lunch---they look too

much like athletic sweats or jogging clothes to pass for dinner in the MDR--do not represent resort casual.

Big Green

I thought I'd do a little search and see if I could put some perspective on this... the picture below is of a set that is sold as a 'jogging suit in fleece', and in my opinion it is absolutely acceptable in an NCL dining room.

I have to agree with big green. Perfect for breakfast or lunch or the buffet/diner at dinner, but not for the dining room and specialty restaurants. IMO, of course. OTOH, I wouldn't stare, laugh, point, or probably particularly notice if someone else was wearing an outfit like that.

beachchick

Would a fleece suit, pants with hem not cuff and button jacket over a top, be considered workout clothes for the MDR at night? I'm trying to figure out what to wear in case our luggage isn't delivered in time on the first night. In Boston in October, I'll probably think the fleece feels good since I get cold easily.

is it an outfit that you would normally wear to a nice restaurant...??

only you knows the answer.

Really-- are you changing your position on dress in the main dining room--

what makes them different than baggy shorts, a tank top, and a backwards

baseball cap--in fact they may be even better in appearance.

Big Green

Not at all...but those who think that gym clothes look good at any time....are usually wrong. I also find that tank tops are usually gym clothes as well (At least where I live, they aren't regular 'street wear').

For me, reading this thread, I can't help but get the feeling the key is "the first night of the cruise". I honestly can not see anyone faulting someone for maybe bending the dress code rules a bit the first night. If you do worry about that, maybe you are worried about the wrong things. I think every one who has read my postings over time know I am all about following the rules and that the rules are there for all of us. But the first night I think there should be some slack for those that may not have gotten their luggage. That's just how I feel about it. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong, just my feelings on the topic.

For me, reading this thread, I can't help but get the feeling the key is "the first night of the cruise". I honestly can not see anyone faulting someone for maybe bending the dress code rules a bit the first night. If you do worry about that, maybe you are worried about the wrong things. I think every one who has read my postings over time know I am all about following the rules and that the rules are there for all of us. But the first night I think there should be some slack for those that may not have gotten their luggage. That's just how I feel about it. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong, just my feelings on the topic.

There are many who feel "it's fine to bend the rules the first night because not everyone might have gotten their luggage" is reasonable and fine. And perhaps it is. But, as others have mentioned, it's pretty easy to add a nice (not formal, not fancy) evening outfit to carryon luggage along with medications, cosmetics, valuables, swimsuit, and swimsuit coverup. We always do. A pair of tan cotton slacks and fresh polo shirt for DH and a skirt and fresh top for me. We just want to feel nice and fresh for dinner, no matter what. But again, unless someone was actually dirty and smelly or wearing a swimsuit, we wouldn't really pay much attention to them.

beachchick

They may cost $100/pair but they are still workout pants---- just fancier ones. I still don't think workout pants and sweat pants belong in the MDR for a nice dinner, no matter how much you paid or dress them up.

The way i see it is....youve paid a lot for a trip, expect to be pampered, expect great service, expect elegant surroundings and an elegant dining room with a very special dinner (otherwise you'd be at the buffet) so why wouldnt you want to be dressed very nice for the occasion? you have very nice clothes in your closet.......so bring them and wear them. save your workout pants for the gym. i'm talking"SMART CASUAL" not formal... what taught me was....many cruises ago, i (travel solo) went to get seated in the mdr at a table for 8 and i noticed immediatly how much nicer everyone was dressed!

i was so embarassed! it never happened again!!!

Archived