any cruise lines not cutting back services?

nashkan

It has been a couple years since our last cruise, but we are planning one next year....YES!!!!!! :D Has been awhile since I have been on "Cruise Critics"... but I am once again lurking through the pages..... I have been reading many complaints about the different cruise lines making very noticable cutbacks on services, etc... is there any "mainsteam" line that is not doing this? Or at least not very noticable? We have been on CCL, RCCL, NCL, & HAL.... THANKS ..... Dan

It has been a couple years since our last cruise, but we are planning one next year....YES!!!!!! :D Has been awhile since I have been on "Cruise Critics"... but I am once again lurking through the pages..... I have been reading many complaints about the different cruise lines making very noticable cutbacks on services, etc... is there any "mainsteam" line that is not doing this? Or at least not very noticable? We have been on CCL, RCCL, NCL, & HAL.... THANKS ..... Dan

Dan, When prices for cruises are as good as they are now, but the costs of everything else is UP, there is no way around cutting some services onboard. Whether it be the quality of food, or your room steward having more cabins to clean (less staff), quality of entertainment, to the lack of cocktail parties with free drinks onboard. I don't think you are going to find any of the main stream cruise lines that haven't cut back on many things.

But if you check around, pricing is still about the same. They have to make up for the difference somewhere. ;)

We've been cruising for about 9 years and have found that the prices have gone down considerably. But, we haven't experienced any cut backs in service. They have taken some things out of the included price and set them up a la carte. But, no reduction in services at all.

The only thing I noticed this summer on Princess was that there were fewer shows and entertainers on board. Movies were played in place of live shows. There was no early-evening live music in the Wheelhouse, either. Dining was the same and quite good, in fact, better than expected. There was no increase in the charges for alternative dining. Drinks were priced the same as previous cruises. The wine list was not as extensive as it once was, and the Maitre d' selections were also reduced in number.

We did not go to the Captain's reception or past-passenger party, but were still served no-charge cocktails in the Wheelhouse. They weren't watered-down drinks, either.

The main thing that has changed, and you might notice it even more in the future, is that you might find sea days added to itineraries that are normally port-intensive. This allows the ship to sail at reduced speed, saving fuel cost.

Overall, I noted some minor changes, but did not feel that service had been cut back as drastically as some make it sound. YMMV.

Archived