What should we do?

QTMichele

Hello, everyone! We'll be on the Freedom of the Seas in less than five months. :D I'm going to start planning our "excursions" on the islands; however, I'd love your advice. Since we'll be travelling with young kids (DD turning 10 on cruise, soon to be 6 year old DD, and 14 month DS), we don't want to do anything adventurous. I'm thinking mostly beach time with "full service" beaches (ex chairs, umbrellas, restrooms/changing area, food/beverages - don't care too much about jet skis, etc.). We're open to other suggestions as well. There will 12 of us total with everyone able bodied (except for my baby ;)).

We'll be in St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Thanks so much!!!:D

First, get a guidebook on those ports...it will give you a great idea of what's available to do on every island, points of interest, which beaches have what, what it will cost to get there.....everything you need to know! You have plenty of time to read it!

Then, go to the "port of Call" boards, and see what others have done, and how they liked it!

Hi Michele-

In St Thomas, you can walk across the street to Paradise Point and ride the skyride up to the top of the mountain. They have the best views ever, a variety of birds (parrotts and larakeets), some shops, and a great place for lunch and some drinks.

If you want more-you can ride the skyride down (my kid's loved this!) and take a taxi to Magen's Beach. It was easier to find a van taxi with seatbelts rather than the open air taxi's at the port.

In St Maarten, you can take the water taxi over to where the water front shops are and use the beach there.

If you really want a great family beach on the French side, take a taxi to La Galeon Beach! Georgeous, lovely, perfect for families because the water is shallow for miles out! You can also eat at the restaurant right there on the beach and use the chairs for a fee!:)

If you think the baby could handle this you could also do Bernard's Tour in St Maarten. He is excellent with kids! You will visit a beach, tour the island, and have ample time for shopping. His vans or his buses handles strollers and wheelchairs if you email him ahead of time!;)

First, get a guidebook on those ports...it will give you a great idea of what's available to do on every island, points of interest, which beaches have what, what it will cost to get there.....everything you need to know! You have plenty of time to read it!

Then, go to the "port of Call" boards, and see what others have done, and how they liked it!

Thanks for your advice on the guidebooks - that reminds me that I have a Caribbean port of call guidebook stashed around here somewhere! LOL I've lurked on the port of call boards as well, and will continue to do so. :D

Hi Michele-

In St Thomas, you can walk across the street to Paradise Point and ride the skyride up to the top of the mountain. They have the best views ever, a variety of birds (parrotts and larakeets), some shops, and a great place for lunch and some drinks.

If you want more-you can ride the skyride down (my kid's loved this!) and take a taxi to Magen's Beach. It was easier to find a van taxi with seatbelts rather than the open air taxi's at the port.

In St Maarten, you can take the water taxi over to where the water front shops are and use the beach there.

If you really want a great family beach on the French side, take a taxi to La Galeon Beach! Georgeous, lovely, perfect for families because the water is shallow for miles out! You can also eat at the restaurant right there on the beach and use the chairs for a fee!:)

If you think the baby could handle this you could also do Bernard's Tour in St Maarten. He is excellent with kids! You will visit a beach, tour the island, and have ample time for shopping. His vans or his buses handles strollers and wheelchairs if you email him ahead of time!;)

Thanks a bunch. The skyride sounds like fun - and something my kids would enjoy too! Questions: You mentioned taking the skyride down - does it go down to the other side, or did you mean back down from where it started? Do you happen to know how far Magen's Beach is from the skyride? Is it possible to walk? (From my questions, I'm sure you can tell I have almost no knowledge of this island!:rolleyes:)

My DH and I honeymooned in St. Martin so we are quite familiar with the local sights; however, we didn't visit any other beaches besides our resort beach and Orient Beach. I'll definitely do a little research on La Galeon Beach! Does the water taxi take you directly to this beach, or will we have to take a cab?

Thanks again for the great responses!!! :) Hope my additional questions aren't too burdensome! ;)

Thanks a bunch. The skyride sounds like fun - and something my kids would enjoy too! Questions: You mentioned taking the skyride down - does it go down to the other side, or did you mean back down from where it started? Do you happen to know how far Magen's Beach is from the skyride? Is it possible to walk?

My DH and I honeymooned in St. Martin so we are quite familiar with the local sights; however, we didn't visit any other beaches besides our resort beach and Orient Beach. I'll definitely do a little research on La Galeon Beach! Does the water taxi take you directly to this beach, or will we have to take a cab?

Thanks again for the great responses!!! Hope my additional questions aren't too burdensome!

Your right the skyride takes you back to where you started. I think my kids liked going down better than up!:D Each of those little carts holds 6 people each and they have 3 going up and down at a time! You can purchase your tickets through RCI for a little less than you can in person.

102_1933.jpg

The Taxi to Magen's Beach is $8 per person one way! OUCH! There is also an entrance fee to the beach. I *think* it was $4 each, children under 3 were free.

There is also Coral World. It turned out to be expensive as well. $60 for a family of 6 if you purchase them on line. The taxi to Coral World was $9 each one way.

It was still less expensive than the ship's excursion.

St Maarten is my favorite Island! La Galeon is a taxi ride! If you don't want to do a beach just going down to the Marina (on the French side) and having lunch is wonderful!

I could talk St Maarten all day long!:rolleyes:;):)

Your right the skyride takes you back to where you started. I think my kids liked going down better than up!:D Each of those little carts holds 6 people each and they have 3 going up and down at a time! You can purchase your tickets through RCI for a little less than you can in person.

102_1933.jpg

The Taxi to Magen's Beach is $8 per person one way! OUCH! There is also an entrance fee to the beach. I *think* it was $4 each, children under 3 were free.

There is also Coral World. It turned out to be expensive as well. $60 for a family of 6 if you purchase them on line. The taxi to Coral World was $9 each one way.

It was still less expensive than the ship's excursion.

St Maarten is my favorite Island! La Galeon is a taxi ride! If you don't want to do a beach just going down to the Marina (on the French side) and having lunch is wonderful!

I could talk St Maarten all day long!:rolleyes:;):)

Thanks for the picture and the extra info - it helps a lot!!!

I loved St. Maarten too - it was a wonderful place to honeymoon. We'd LOVE to go back again (to stay, not as a cruise port-although I'll take that too!). Have you even been there while not on a cruise vacation?

We are heading to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas on our upcoming cruise. I'll let you know how it is when we get back.

CeleBrat

That would be wonderful!! Are you taking children? If so, what ages? THANKS!

I loved St. Maarten too - it was a wonderful place to honeymoon. We'd LOVE to go back again (to stay, not as a cruise port-although I'll take that too!). Have you even been there while not on a cruise vacation?

No, but I would LOVE to stay there! I can't get this cruising thing out of my system!:rolleyes:;):D In the lastest edition of Caribbean magazine they have a whole write up about where to stay in St Maarten and it looks heavenly!

Sapphire Beach is pretty too! We were there last summer. My only concern for you was the bathroom facilities. If you decide to go there, it's $10 per person taxi ride. I have a picture of that too....:rolleyes: Hopefully Celebrat will check it out and see if the facilities improved!

SapphireBeach2.jpg

That would be wonderful!! Are you taking children? If so, what ages? THANKS!

Yes--we're taking the kids, who are currently 6 and 9. We are planning on being adventurous, and taking the $2 Open Air PUBLIC bus/taxis.

Sapphire Beach is pretty too! We were there last summer. My only concern for you was the bathroom facilities. If you decide to go there, it's $10 per person taxi ride. I have a picture of that too....:rolleyes: Hopefully Celebrat will check it out and see if the facilities improved!

SapphireBeach2.jpg

Is this a pic of Sapphire? If so, WOW!!! I hear there are iguanas there. My DS will LOVE that!

CeleBrat

No, but I would LOVE to stay there! I can't get this cruising thing out of my system! In the lastest edition of Caribbean magazine they have a whole write up about where to stay in St Maarten and it looks heavenly!

SapphireBeach2.jpg

Oh, you must add St. Maarten to your "to do" list!!! We had such a wonderful time! My parents and siblings havne't been, but will be on the cruise with us. I'm so excited for them to see "my" island. :D I only wish we had several days there so they can experience what we experienced. Oh well, just an excuse to go BACK! :p

Beautiful picture too! I'm assuming it's Sapphire Beach?

Yes--we're taking the kids, who are currently 6 and 9. We are planning on being adventurous, and taking the $2 Open Air PUBLIC bus/taxis.

CeleBrat

Adventurous? Okay, what are the horror stories with the PUBLIC bus/taxis? :p

We are heading to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas on our upcoming cruise. I'll let you know how it is when we get back.

CeleBrat

We went to this beach back in 2001 on our E. Caribbean cruise. We asked the taxi driver to take us to a nice beach. Our girl was three then and met up with some other kids from Camp Carnival.

Just remember you don't have to do anything. If the kids are not feeling up to it, you can stay onboard. You can head to the beach. I would recommend just keeping your plans loose. Read up on the ports to see what may interest your kids (besides the guide books, many ports have a website...and some will even send you a brochure and/or map).

And here's something to think about: you may have trouble installing a car seat in many of the vehicles you will encounter.

Above all, make sure you double check on the time to be back on the ship, whether ship time is different from the local time, and bring the ship's newsletter for that day. You won't want to miss the ship leaving any port, esp. with little kids.

Is this a pic of Sapphire? If so, WOW!!! I hear there are iguanas there. My DS will LOVE that!

CeleBrat

Yes that is Sapphire Beach and they do have Iguanas! Big ones! :eek: I'm not a fan but my kid's thought they were funny. The Iguanas are behind the shaded area of the beach! You can't miss them.:eek:

Oh, you must add St. Maarten to your "to do" list!!!

We really, really do want to go there.....after the Southern Caribbean, Bermuda, the Mediterranean.....:rolleyes:

Did you mind that deep climb that the airplane did when leaving the Island?:D

We really, really do want to go there.....after the Southern Caribbean, Bermuda, the Mediterranean.....:rolleyes:

Did you mind that deep climb that the airplane did when leaving the Island?:D

It wasn't leaving the island that was scary, it was landing on it!!! It was dusk when we landed, but we could see that we would land in the ocean if the pilot was off a little. :D

Archived