Gros Morne National Park

SF

Would it be advisable to rent a car in Corner Brook and drive to Gros Morne National Park? The tour from the ship is quite expensive especially for four people. We will be in port from 8am - 5pm. Is this enough time? If I read correctly it is about a one hour drive from Corner Brook. If this is true then it should allow us a good four hours to tour. Any suggestions? Are there even any car rental agencies near the port?

I have been to Corner Brook once and I very much want to go back. That part of Newfoundland is absolutely gorgeous.

There are more moose in this part of the country that there are humans.

There are at least 3 car rental companies in Corner Brook. Enterprise, Budget and Thruway Auto Clinic.

Google maps shows 124 Km (about 75 miles) from the center of town to Bear Cove on the shores of the Gulf of St Lawrence. This shows to be about 2 hours and 23 minutes drive on way.

Here is a link you can use to see a map

Here is a link to more information about Gros Morne National Park on the Parks Canada Wensite

I would certainly rent a car in Corner Brook to visit Gros Morne NP.

You won't really have time to visit both the north and south sides of the park, and as the most spectacular part of the northern side, Western Brook Pond, is too far to do in the time you have available, I'd stick to the south.

In the south, I would visit the village of Woody Point, the nearby Discovery Centre, the Tablelands, and the village of Trout River. At Trout River, you can visit Trout River Pond which is the other major inland fjord in the park. Unfortunately the cruise on the pond was discontinued this summer. Perhaps it will be back when you visit.

If you want to hike, I would suggest the Tablelands hiking trail. It is an easy trail and you can take it as far as you want before turning around. It gets you right into this rare geological feature.

There are two places I would recommend for lunch, the Seaside in Trout River (get an ocean view table on the second floor) and the Old Loft in Woody Point. Both have interesting gift shops as well as good meals.

Archived