We prepaid our service charges and it feels good...but?

We decided to take advantage of the new prepay option for the service charges. We always look at our final charges and it adds to the depression of leaving the ship. Now when we cruise this October, we won't have to think about it. My one concern is will they know that we did prepay them or will it be added to the onboard account automatically and we will have to go try to tell them that we paid it already?

Yeah, but if it were me, I'd still bring along proof that I had pre-paid them.

Hmmm, good idea. I have also just pre-paid mine as well - wanted to take advantage of the strong Aussie dollar and now I don't need to worry about it taking a dive over the next few months.

And here's a second question... I don't want to open a can of worms here but... we've all seem the "lists" of those who have removed their service charges... how are those lists generated?

Obviously those of us who choose to pre-pay the gratuities will not have them showing on our onboard account - so we won't inadvertently have our names/cabins added to the "list", will we? :eek:

And here's a second question... I don't want to open a can of worms here but... we've all seem the "lists" of those who have removed their service charges... how are those lists generated?

Obviously those of us who choose to pre-pay the gratuities will not have them showing on our onboard account - so we won't inadvertently have our names/cabins added to the "list", will we? :eek:

Wow, hadn't thought of that. Good question.

I like the option as you can budget for the ACTUAL expenses of your vacation cruise well in advance and have all the basics taken care of before you sail. Everyone knows that drinks, photos, gift shop merchandise, excursions, and specialty restaurants cost extra and so your onboard expenses will be limited to these discretionary charges.

There is a "list" of passengers who remove the service charges from their final bill? I didn't know that...

One time we requested a reduction because our room steward must have been having a bad week and totally neglected us and another couple. We spoke with the desk but this seemed like one way to get his attention. Guess we made the list that time!

Can anyone do the pre pay grats or just overseas guests?

The option to prepay gratuities was recently added to the NCL.com website for the USA and Canada under FAQ (frequently asked questions) at the bottom of the home page.

Look here under service charge:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#service

I've never heard of this list either. Where is it?:confused:

It's a list of guests that have removed their DSC entirely. Of course the list doesn't do much if you remove the DSC at the end of the cruise (not that I would condone such an action, the staff and crew work hard to make our cruise enjoyable and they deserve every penny they make).

It's a list of guests that have removed their DSC entirely. Of course the list doesn't do much if you remove the DSC at the end of the cruise (not that I would condone such an action, the staff and crew work hard to make our cruise enjoyable and they deserve every penny they make).

You can just take off a certain % and will still be on the list!

Hmmm. So if I actually tip over and beyond is there a list that tells everyone that I'm a good person?:rolleyes:

Since most who tip "over and above" the DSC do so in cash, I seriously doubt there is a list of the folks who tip extra, as that would mean the room stewards, servers, etc. would have to report their EXTRA tips.

I agree I think this is a terrific idea. I want to pre-pay ours as well. Normally I wouldn't care, but our next cruise is 14 days.. Thats going to add up quickly and if we pre-pay it, its as others have said.. one less thing to worry about.

Can someone give me the link to where you find this on NCL? I just went there and could not find it and even did a search but came up empty.

Thanks

I booked with a Uk Travel agent and service charge was included in price of holiday. No choice to pay it later. I am glad as suited me this way.

i work for one of the large uk travel agents and have cruised with ncl myself twice and we are going again on 23/8. we have payed our service charge all 3 times and i know that when you ring ncl to book they always include the pre paid service charge unless you actually ask them to take it off. some of my customers do ask for it to be removed but i always think it is one less thing to take into account when you are on board. more money to spend on other things!!!!!

I agree I think this is a terrific idea. I want to pre-pay ours as well. Normally I wouldn't care, but our next cruise is 14 days.. Thats going to add up quickly and if we pre-pay it, its as others have said.. one less thing to worry about.

Can someone give me the link to where you find this on NCL? I just went there and could not find it and even did a search but came up empty.

Thanks

Here is the link:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#service

At the bottom of NCL's home page are the FAQ (frequently asked questions). The above is under the service charge topic.

Rather than hassle with the cruise company, wouldn't it be just easier to pre pay the amount on your credit card that you'll be using? We've done this many times, but just paying an extra $500 on AMEX before we leave, that way we have no "bills" at the end of the trip.

Archived