Comparing Ship Classes

VABeach

RCCL seems to have two very different classes of ships: the older, smaller ones that are more elegant/adult oriented, and the newer, bigger ships that seem to be more fun/family oriented. I have never been on RCCL so this is just an outside observation. Is there a difference in the people that cruise on these different style ships? Are there more kids on one than the other? Are there any other differences one should be aware of before choosing their next cruise with RCCL?

Good question. And, I, not having sailed RCI in a while, am ignorant as to the ships that fall under the different classes, such as Vision class (I think that was one). If anyone could clear that up for me, I would be most appreciative.

VA, maybe I should post this separately?

Michelle

Basically it seems like Voyager and Radiance are the "newer/bigger" ones and Vision and Sovereign are the "older/smaller" ones. Then they have the Empress which is a whole nother class of small. I was basically asking about the first two/four classes. I've read so many reviews about kids running around and things, I just wanted to know the scoop.;)

The term "older/smaller" is relative. The Vision and Sovereign class ships can hardly be considered small as they are all over 70,000 tons and close to 900 feet in length. These ships lack the ice skating rinks and mini-golf courses of the newer ships but they can still provide a quality cruising experience. I have sailed on the Grandeur and the Enchantment from the Vision class and had a great time on both ships. The only RCCL ship that is small by today's standards is the Empress.

So there's basically no difference in the crowds on various ship classes? Interesting.

BTW, I never thought they were "small" I just ment they were "smaller" compared to the rest of the fleet. They are actually the size of the CCL ships I have been on.;)

One distinction when it comes to crowds will be when and where you sail, just as much as the class of ship.

For instance, sailing during the summer of school holidays when bring on more kids, regardless of the class of ship. Shorter cruises may also have more kids as well as new cruisers and those with more limited funds. Going on an Alaska cruise will more likely have older cruisers and less kids than a Caribbean cruise.

Another factor to take into consideration for generalizing the crowd that will be on a sailing is the length of the cruise. 3 nighter weekend get-aways are typically party (i.e., drunk) crowds, 4-7 nighters, more varying in age groups (these are where most of the families fall in), 7+ nights typically draw older crowd (been with a company long enough for longer vacation accrual, or retired).

But of course, these are just generalizations. Each sailing is unique in it's own way, including passenger make-up.

I think what may cause a "difference" in the type of crowd on a ship is not the size of the ship, but more likely the itinerary and/or the length of the cruise. For example the shorter "week-end" cruises tend to draw a younger party crowd while the longer 10 day Panama Canal cruise will tend to draw an older and somewhat more sedate group. These are generalities, of course, as you will find all ages and types on any cruise, some in smaller numbers, some in larger. To me, any cruise is better than no cruise!!!!!

P.S. I think Papa Sierra and I had the same thought and decided to post it a t the same time!!! Great minds, right??!!

Archived