Verizon Blackberry experiences

lost in translation

"If you have Verizon, do not even bother bringing your cell phone. My husband has Verizon, and we paid them to send us (rent) a global blackberry to use on our trip, so that my husband and I could communicate if we got separated, and the phone NEVER worked for email or Blackberry messenger."

I just read the above quote on a review from somebody on the same cruise we are taking in the Western Mediterranean. Did others have this same problem? We have also arranged to rent global blackberries from Verizon. Let us know your experiences.

We have verizon and I was looking at upgrading to the new blackberry. In looking at the coverage maps, I did notice that the data coverage was not as good as the voice coverage. Also, any thoughts on data/email on the ship. I know my AT&T BB from work, worked on the ship for email, but Verizon told me they thought they didn't have data coverage on the ship.

Would like to hear what others think

Jerry

Used my Verizon Blackberry World Edition last September on our med cruise and had no problems in Rome where we stayed for a few nights as well as the various ports we visited in Italy. Saved lots of $ this way, I purchased the unlimited plan for 30 days for data (was not interested in using the blackberry for phone calls) and then cancelled upon my return. Saved lots of $ vs. using the ship's email.

Used my Verizon Blackberry World Edition last September on our med cruise and had no problems in Rome where we stayed for a few nights as well as the various ports we visited in Italy. Saved lots of $ this way, I purchased the unlimited plan for 30 days for data (was not interested in using the blackberry for phone calls) and then cancelled upon my return. Saved lots of $ vs. using the ship's email.

Wbacklund, Thanks for posting this information. I will be in Italy next year and plan on doing the same thing as you with Verizon.

Thanks!

Thanks. Maybe the mistake the poster I quoted in my original post made was in not purchasing a data plan when he rented the phone. Apparently we need to do that in addition to changing our service to the rented phone. (We currently have verizon blackberry service but not world phones) We do want to be able to use them as phones (mainly for emergencies) but are also mainly interested in email.

we were just at verizion today looking at the same thing...we have 5 kids and 2 grandchildren and senior parents we would like to keep in touch with maybe once a week..going on a 28 day cruise....i have never heard of a data plan...you know how it is... ask 7 people and get 7 different answers at verizion...we are interested in renting a phone....what was the cost????....we are more interested in testing.....any info will be good

we were just at verizion today looking at the same thing...we have 5 kids and 2 grandchildren and senior parents we would like to keep in touch with maybe once a week..going on a 28 day cruise....i have never heard of a data plan...you know how it is... ask 7 people and get 7 different answers at verizion...we are interested in renting a phone....what was the cost????....we are more interested in testing.....any info will be good

If you are only interested in keeping in touch once a week it would probably easier and cheaper to just use the computers on the ship and pay by the minute to send emails. Last year we didn't have blackberries so just checked our email on the ship's computers once a day.

Thanks. Maybe the mistake the poster I quoted in my original post made was in not purchasing a data plan when he rented the phone. Apparently we need to do that in addition to changing our service to the rented phone. (We currently have verizon blackberry service but not world phones) We do want to be able to use them as phones (mainly for emergencies) but are also mainly interested in email.

Instead of renting a Verizon phone, consider renting the Verizon BlackBerry instead. The Blackberry offers the best email capabilities and a one-month unlimited "data plan" from Verizon for use international is about $65. You can rent many of the Verizon phones for Europe but the data plan is only for email. Not all of the International phones are capable of email.

If you already own a Verizon BlackBerry, you still need to 1. Make sure it is has International capabilities and 2. Call Verizon and add the one month International data or data and phone to your account.

My husband has the Blackberry Storm. They said before we go to call them and they'll add the international capabilities and when we return to call back and cancel. Then they'll only charge us for the time we used. Going to use it mostly for email, but maybe a few calls. Will let you know how it works out.

I use a blackberry through my local phone company which connects to the AT&T service outside the local area. It works great for e-mail in Europe anywhere there is decent cell phone service. Just be sure you enable the international data service before you leave. In addition, you will need a European plug adapter for the charger but you don't need a transformer as the charger can handle 220 current.

Instead of renting a Verizon phone, consider renting the Verizon BlackBerry instead. The Blackberry offers the best email capabilities and a one-month unlimited "data plan" from Verizon for use international is about $65. You can rent many of the Verizon phones for Europe but the data plan is only for email. Not all of the International phones are capable of email.

If you already own a Verizon BlackBerry, you still need to 1. Make sure it is has International capabilities and 2. Call Verizon and add the one month International data or data and phone to your account.

Thanks. By phone I meant blackberry. The post I quoted from rented a verizon blackberry and couldn't get email. I'm guessing he forgot to get the international data plan. $65 a month seems like a lot especially since we have two blackberries. (Our blackberries are not international so we are renting other ones.)

I use a blackberry through my local phone company which connects to the AT&T service outside the local area. It works great for e-mail in Europe anywhere there is decent cell phone service. Just be sure you enable the international data service before you leave. In addition, you will need a European plug adapter for the charger but you don't need a transformer as the charger can handle 220 current.

great and thanks for that reminder about the adapter!

thank you!

Archived