What is more important - your friends or your cruise??

mompolo

We have nearly the exact same situation coming up with friends in January. They went with us on the Solstice last winter and we all had a great time. This time, they have a $500 credit with HAL and have asked us to join them. I've been curious to try HAL so we're going to do it (the price was right). We've sailed exclusively Celebrity and Azamara for nearly 10 years so I'm actually rather excited to try something new.

The bottom line is that these friends would make any cruise fun - we're not really picky, so HAL would have to be pretty darn bad to make us regret our decision.

As others have said, it would not be unreasonable to ask your friends to join you on Celebrity. If they are that fixated on using the credit card above all else, then I guess that is kind of an unfortunate priority IMHO.:o

Some of us are faced with this dilemma from time to time and know we prefer a particular cruise line, or that we even might have a ship we don't really care to sail, but weigh that out when asked by friends to consider joining them. The thought being that the reason the concession is made is because you want to sail with those friends and that in itself is overriding factor.

Hi Brenda!:) Which HAL ship are you going to try?

Hi Usha

We're going on the Westerdam. I know you enjoy HAL as well as Celebrity - that helped make our decision a little easier, since you and your handsome hubby seem to have reasonable heads on your shoulders. :D

Last year we cruised RCC with another couple. We had a great time, but having been on 3 previous X cruises, we were a little disappointed with the food and service.

They would like to cruise with us again and they would only like to go on RCC because they signed up for the credit card and now have about $500 obc.

We would really prefer to go on an X cruise - what would you do??

Oh yeah - there is another couple that would like to go - they are friends of ours and would go on which ever cruise we go on.

If the friends in question are indeed friends, I can't imagine they'd be insulted or in any other way put off if you're just honest with them.

"We really enjoyed the RCC cruise we shared with you last year (especially your company), but food and service are an important part of our cruise experience and we can't help but feel food and service just didn't measure up to what we've become accustomed to on Celebrity. It's no reflection on you and no reflection on our friendship but we've decided we'd rather not sail with RCC this time and would much prefer to go back to X again. We'd be absolutely delighted if you'd join us but understand it's not what you want. No hard feelings on our part and we hope the same is true for you. If we don't sail together this time, I'm sure there'll be lots more cruises to come and we'll just have to make a point of finding one that suits both of us so we can cruise together again soon."

I know how YOU all will be dressed on formal night!! :D:rolleyes::D

Sorry, I just had to...

It's so funny how people react to various situations; when viewed in isolation and compared to other threads it's hillarious.

BTW - I don't necessarily disagree with the consensus here on where we impose 'boundaries' with friends cruising. Ain't is great to have friends that cruise! And, having cruised with them, if their line selection doesn't match yours then you'll have great stories to compare.

Archived