Car Hire and Travel between Seward and Anchorage

Aussietripper

:confused:Hi All - We will be arriving in Seward from the Radiance June 11 and spending 2 more weeks touring and doing home exchange in Kenai. Am considering catching cruise ship train to Anchorage airport, then hiring car and driving back down to Seward same day (where we plan to spend 3 nights) as it appears the car will cost twice as much if we pick it up in Seward and leave it at Anchorage airport when we leave than if we collect and pick up from airport when we fly out. Do you think this is feasible? I am working on the notion that we would arrive in Anchorage before lunch, but can someone tell me exactly how long the train trip takes and what does it cost (if we book through Radiance) just so I can compare?

Or, is it a bad idea and we should just pay the extra for returning car to different location cost?

Is the stretch between Seward and Moose Pass worth a double trip?

If we just hired the car in Seward we would go first to Homer, then on to Kenai/Anchorage/Denali.

Any advice re logistics/train/car hire appreciated. Thanks.

Most on theses boards don’t spend a lot of time in Kenai as there‘s just not a lot to do there unless you fish. Then there’s the logistics of what to do with your fish during the rest of your stay in Alaska. Hopefully you love fishing or you’re not staying in Kenai long.

There’s not much between Seward and Moose Pass other than trees. You would also be doing Turnagain Arm twice, however, and it’s spectacular on a good day with the possibility of Beluga Whales and Sheep in the roadside hills. Not sure I’d want to do it twice in the same day.

You may want to look into renting the car in Seward and getting all of your Kenai Peninsula stuff (Seward, Homer, Kenai) out of the way and then drive back to Seward to drop the car, catch the train and then rent another car in Anchorage and head to Denali.

The other option would be to incur the huge drop fee in Anchorage. You’ll be able to enjoy Turnagain Arm and there are several nice areas to explore along the way by car that you would not be able to do if you went by train.

Alaska Railroad

http://www.akrr.com/

You may want to look into renting the car in Seward and getting all of your Kenai Peninsula stuff (Seward, Homer, Kenai) out of the way and then drive back to Seward to drop the car, catch the train and then rent another car in Anchorage and head to Denali.

This would be my suggestion. Take the 6:00 p.m. train to Anchorage on the day you are ready to head to Anchorage.

Thanks so much for these suggestions. Hadn't thought about renting the car in Seward, returning it there, then going by train to Anchorage. Might be a good solution. My husband is a very keen fisherman - we have timed our whole trip around catching the first salmon run. People we are staying with are also keen fishermen - I'm sure they'll have big freezers and we'll no doubt enjoy a few meals while we are there. Thanks again, very helpful advice.

Archived