Guided tour to Maachu Picchu?

Seabreeze8

For those of you who have done this trip to MP, any advise on money exchange?

Dollars work just fine. In fact, are generally preferred. The ATM in the lobby of the Inka Grill (North side of the Plaza in Cusco) dispenses both soles and dollars.

Dollars work just fine. In fact, are generally preferred. The ATM in the lobby of the Inka Grill (North side of the Plaza in Cusco) dispenses both soles and dollars.

Hi Greatam, are the prices in Cusco both in US$ and soles? If you buy in dollars, do they give you back dollars as well? Is it better to pay in soles or US dollars? Thanks for all your help!

Really appreciate all your tips in booking the trip. Now we got a better idea of what to do and how much to do. Good thing we are not in a hurry to book the trip, as we've got lots of research to do. Have to decide on the places to visit first as we want to spend at least 2 weeks in Peru. Thanks again for all your help!

Happy to help. Have fun planning.

One more hint. Check perutraces.com they have a lot of itineraries that you can use as suggestions to plan your own. The Amazon trips would be good add-ons if you have the time. Look at hotels mentioned and find their websites directly. Many offer packages and specials you can book on your own.

• 2 weeks later...
Marazul, do you speak Spanish?

Yes. But you do not need to speak Spanish to book at any of the sites I used or to call any of the hotel reservations desks either.

I did use Spanish to do a lot of the research, but I only gave references to English websites in my posts.

Yes. But you do not need to speak Spanish to book at any of the sites I used or to call any of the hotel reservations desks either.

I did use Spanish to do a lot of the research, but I only gave references to English websites in my posts.

Can you get better rates in Peru by going to Spanish websites? That is definitely the case in Argentina.

I tried, but not really. They do have better rates but you are required to present the National ID card or permanent resident card when you check in. I did beat down the hotel people into a little extra off, but their rates were really good already. So, it helps a little on the phone, but not on the websites.

It did help when I "convinced" Celebrity to let me off the cruise in Guayaquil instead of flying back to Quito. But that story would take two or three pages to get through . . .

I was quite offended by the double pricing system in Argentina. I was the only English speaking person on the tours I took, so when we got to a park or museum I would give one of the men the money for the ticket and they would purchase it for me. It got to be a big joke and the men would bicker as to who would be my husband for the duration of the museum tour. Almost everyone on the tours was from Argentina so by the time I left the country I had friends from Iguassu to Patagonia.

In Argentina you can save an awful lot of money if you can speak Spanish.

I tried, but not really. They do have better rates but you are required to present the National ID card or permanent resident card when you check in. I did beat down the hotel people into a little extra off, but their rates were really good already. So, it helps a little on the phone, but not on the websites.

It did help when I "convinced" Celebrity to let me off the cruise in Guayaquil instead of flying back to Quito. But that story would take two or three pages to get through . . .

Marazul I have enjoyed reading your posts. We are thinking of booking our own MP tour...three days two nights.

We are on a cruise ship, The Prinsendam, and will dock in Callao (Lima) on Wed 27th January and the ship stays over night leaving late on 28th. It then sails in to Puerto San Martin (Pisco) just down the cost on 29th and stays there until 5.00pm.

My thoughts are flying from Lima to Cuzco on 27th visiting MP on a day trip on 28th and then on the 29th getting back to Puerto San Martin via Pisco Airport.

Unfortunately I can't find any flights details into Pisco Airport.

Please advise me how i could get back to my ship in Puerto San Martin.

I do appreciate the help you are giving on this thread.

Paul

Paul, What about doing MP after your cruise? It might be easier to do plus you could spend more time and wouldn't have to worry about missing the boat. I am sure you could definitely beat the cruise ship price.

I believe someone mentioned earlier the dangers of altitude sickness. That has always been my concern with quick tours to Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

You really need to take "soroche" seriously and have at least one quiet day before trying to do too much.

I believe someone mentioned earlier the dangers of altitude sickness. That has always been my concern with quick tours to Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

You really need to take "soroche" seriously and have at least one quiet day before trying to do too much.

Thanks for your concern and advise

Paul, What about doing MP after your cruise? It might be easier to do plus you could spend more time and wouldn't have to worry about missing the boat. I am sure you could definitely beat the cruise ship price.

The whole point about posting here is that I don't want to buy the cruise ship's product and it's not my intention to do so!!!!

I think you must have misunderstood or not correctly read my post.

The whole point about posting here is that I don't want to buy the cruise ship's product and it's not my intention to do so!!!!

I think you must have misunderstood or not correctly read my post.

It will be difficult to do a 2 night tour to MP for a couple of reasons. Number one in my book-it is too short a tour and the chances of getting AMS (altitude sickness) increase tremendously. IF you are in extremely good physical condition, have no heart or breathing problems, and most likely, do not smoke, it is doable, but physically pretty stressful. If you ski frequently (at altitudes over 9,000 feet, not skiing in Arizona at 6000 feet or Iowa at 3500 feet-don't laugh, Iowa has a couple of pretty good ski areas), it is more doable.

Number 2-the airport at Pisco (PIO) has NO scheduled commercial flights. There are charters, military and private planes flying into PIO. But no commercial flights.

You would have to book RT Lima/Cusco/Lima and then find a driver to drive you 130 miles to rejoin the cruise. Finding the car and driver and the ride to the cruise port will definitely be the MOST challenging part. One little glitch (accident, vehicle breakdown, road closure for whatever reason) COULD make you miss the ship.

I think what the previous poster meant-either pre or post cruise, take your trip to MP and book it all yourself.

If you still want to take the trip either during the cruise or pre or post, I will try to help.

Paul,

sorry for the delay in replying. I agree with greatam. You don't say where your cruise ends (or starts). The best way to enjoy MP would be to fly back to Peru from your last port and spend a few more days there. Else, you can fly to Lima before your cruise and then fly to your embarcation port. You can do all the arrangements inexpensively and, of course, beat any ship prices. (I know, you would not use ship excursions, but it's fun to "beat the price.")

If you want to do only MP, plan on two nights in Cusco or, better yet, in the Valley. First day, arrive early in Cusco and do nothing. Second day would be your full day MP and second night in Cusco. Third day, fly back to Lima early to avoid weaher/fog delays. So in theory, it is what you planned to do during your cruise, except that you might not be able to fly out early enough to avoid weather delays and get some rest, or to get back to your ship on the third day. If you are doing it pre or post cruise you would have more flexibility in your arrangements and give yourself a few extra hours to make connections. Hopefully, you can add a couple more days and enjoy more sights and minimize AMS.

M

I was quite offended by the double pricing system in Argentina.

Well, you can look at it from the perspective of encouraging domestic tourism and the fact that per capita income is lower in the country. On the other hand, I do take advantage of lower prices whenever I can. In Argentina it's fun trying to sound like a local.

Well, you can look at it from the perspective of encouraging domestic tourism and the fact that per capita income is lower in the country. On the other hand, I do take advantage of lower prices whenever I can. In Argentina it's fun trying to sound like a local.

Have you perfected your castellano accent? :D Remembered to consistently use "vos"? I speak Spanish well enough to communicate easily but no one would ever mistake me for a local once I opened my mouth. :o

I did spend a lot of time translating for shopkeepers though. One guy in a store selling custom tango shoes kept me there for 2 hr one day helping him communicate with customers. We had a lot of fun! He would dance a tango with customers to test the shoes.

If you offer tourists top value for their dollars they will come and the economy with thus improve. Insult them and they will stay away. Argentina is an expensive flight for most tourists and they have to offer great value to attract large numbers.

Thank you greatam and marazul for your wisdom, knowledge and thoughts. I have indeed decided to postpone a trip to MP while on my cruise and will consider it for another time. Thanks to you both.

Burm,

Wish it were a castellano accent! Using the "vos" and other grammatical quirks is no problem. My downfall is that I'm bound to drop, sooner rather than later, those Argentinan "ll" sounds. Dead give away! Hope you got a free pair of tango shoes for your efforts.

As for giving equal value to tourists, I'm ok with giving a break to their own citizens as long as visitors from all other countries are treated the same. (Charity begins at home, etc.)

Paul,

happy to help. Hope you can make it with more time on another occasion.

Burm,

Wish it were a castellano accent! Using the "vos" and other grammatical quirks is no problem. My downfall is that I'm bound to drop, sooner rather than later, those Argentinan "ll" sounds. Dead give away! Hope you got a free pair of tango shoes for your efforts.

Nope, just a tango - and a job offer. :D

We are planning a visit to MP before our Galapagos trip. How much time do you need between flights if you are flying into Lima then boarding a plane to Cusco? Will we be going through some form of customs? Also, if we are doing all the flights separately (i.e. not being ticketed as a connection through Lima to Cusco, but on the same airline) will we need to go through security/ticketing again if all we have are carry-ons? Same amount of time needed to go through Lima to Quito? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Did find a good guide book for MP/Cusco -- Peter Frost's Exploring Cusco. Available at online from the South American Explorer's Club:

http://www.saexplorers.org/club/home

They sell it for $15 adding a few dollars for shipping. If you look at Amazon, they are only offering older editions or a brand "new" older edition for $73 :eek:! The saexplorers offer a lot of info for trip planning on your own as well.

Thanks again for the help!

We are planning a visit to MP before our Galapagos trip. How much time do you need between flights if you are flying into Lima then boarding a plane to Cusco? Will we be going through some form of customs? Also, if we are doing all the flights separately (i.e. not being ticketed as a connection through Lima to Cusco, but on the same airline) will we need to go through security/ticketing again if all we have are carry-ons? Same amount of time needed to go through Lima to Quito? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Did find a good guide book for MP/Cusco -- Peter Frost's Exploring Cusco. Available at online from the South American Explorer's Club:

http://www.saexplorers.org/club/home

They sell it for $15 adding a few dollars for shipping. If you look at Amazon, they are only offering older editions or a brand "new" older edition for $73 :eek:! The saexplorers offer a lot of info for trip planning on your own as well.

Thanks again for the help!

For your flights-MOST USA to Lima flight arrive either LATE evening (after 9:00PM) or VERY early morning (5:00AM). What time does your flight arrive Lima???

You will have to clear immigration AND customs in Lima IF you are arriving from the USA/Canada/Europe/anyplace OTHER than Peru. THEN go to the domestic side of the airport to RE CHECK in and board the plane to Cusco. You will pay domestic departure tax IF you are on a separate ticket (which I gather you are). Allow time to pay the tax, as sometime the line is LONG (about 30 minutes). Then you clear security and get on the plane.

PLEASE DO NOT book a flight after 10:00AM going to Cusco. VERY often the clouds come in to the Cusco airport and YOU CANNOT LAND. You fly around and around waiting for a break in the clouds. IF the pilot cannot find that break, you end up back in Lima to try again the NEXT day. BIG problem, as the early morning flights are generally booked FULL.

Flying from Cusco to Lima to Quito-you are on a DOMESTIC flight from Lima to Cusco, then an international flight to Quito. AGAIN, you must change terminals (very easy-they are right next to each other) AND you have to pay INTERNATIONAL departure tax. LEAVE enough time to get through ALL the lines-get off the plane, change terminals, check in, pay departure tax, clear security, board the plane. DO NOT count on a QUICK transfer. The lines can be VERY long for check in.

Archived