Upgrade Question

briandama

I have a quick question in reference to upgrades...What has anyones experience been with these? Do they generally start at the cat.12's and go from there or is there a method to the madness? The only reason that I ask is because we are a GTY cat.12 and I was thinking about upgrading but its like $1000 extra for a cat.8 room. Was just wondering if when they call and try to sell you an upgrade if it is at a dicounted price or the same price as what is online?

I have too been waiting and hoping for an affordable upgrade. We sail 9/5. We upgraded from a Cat 9 to Cat 6 last year at the port for about $300. I think DCL will call you sometimes and offer you an upgrade. The Cat 12s are sometimes overbooked and they try to move people up so they can fill the ship. With the economy, I know the higher cats sell alot better than the lower cats.

I booked a Cat. 11 GTY. I received my documents n the mail and was given a stateroom assignment in cat 11....shucks...I was hoping for an upgrade.

Has this ever happened to anyone and then when you checked in at the port, you were asked if you wanted to have a free upgrade?

Just wondering because we are considering to purchase an upgrade to a larger room but dont want to if we may get one for free.

I booked a Cat. 11 GTY. I received my documents n the mail and was given a stateroom assignment in cat 11....shucks...I was hoping for an upgrade.

Has this ever happened to anyone and then when you checked in at the port, you were asked if you wanted to have a free upgrade?

Just wondering because we are considering to purchase an upgrade to a larger room but dont want to if we may get one for free.

There is no telling how they do free upgrades. I booked a cat 11 11 months ago, and I am still in a cat 11 for Sept 6th. You can take a chance and check at the port, but I would get there at 10:30AM when the lines open up for paid upgrades, not free.

We actually just received our cabin number fro our 09/19/09 cruise on the Magic and we booked a Cat 12 GTY and we were upgraded to a Cat 10 for free.....Bonus!!!! As far as the Cat 12 rooms....We were in cabin 2517 last year on the Wonder and thought it was great!! Its conviently located to the elevators and the clubs/lounges.....and at night we never heard a thing....We heard more noise form the hallway then from above us....and as a matter of fact if you look closely the lounge isnt even directly above that cabin...

First rule of cruising - book what you really want, don't count on an upgrade.

As far as the cat 12s, they are all three person rooms, so my understanding is if you book one for four GTY, you will invariably gt upgraded.

I guess we dont need to be picky...we are booked on a TA FAM rate and we got that GTY 11 at a rate of $25 pp per day + taxes... Cant beat $700.00 for a 7 night disney cruise for 4 people..... Sept 5 cant get here fast enough. We have sailed RCCL 15 times and a few Carnival, but this is our 1st Disney......Let the MAGIC begin!!!

Thanks for the info on Cat. 12 Cabins. We booked two Cat. 12 Gty's and received two Cat. 12 Cabins. We are very happy to learn it is a quiet location and the very low pricing but like the rest we had dreams of a great upgrade. It was fun dreaming and we are very excited about our first Disney Cruise.

wooohooo, my 1st post, last time my wife and I traveled the disney Wonder, we asked for upgrade in the terminal, they charged us for the upgrade, and the last day of the cruise we recieve a letter returning the difference!!!! that was the awsome. Wil be traveling again on sept 20th, lets see....

Archived