Need help from Dunn's experts!

Let'sGo!

We're making our first stop at Ocho Rios...

I have a bad ankle and though I'd love to do the climb at Dunn's River Falls I'm a little apprehensive. I'd love to hear from you guys who have made trips there before.

Just how much "in shape" do you have to be to do this? I can climb regular stairs with no problem. (In fact, hubby and I usually make a pact to take stairs opposed to elevators on cruise to make up for all that great food!) But I do hold on to a hand rail. I hear about slippery rocks and such and I get a little nervous, but since just about every excursion includes Dunn's I don't want to miss what seems to be one of the highlights of a stop in Ocho Rios!

I'd also hear what you guys also recommend as other "don't misses" in O.R.

Thanks,

Ann

I was just at Dunns Falls 6 days ago so let me tell you my experience. I am 47, have flat feet, heel spurs, I am not in shape. I was able to climb the falls. With a lot of effort but you can get healp, people are there if you need them. Everyone holds hands on the way up so you can get a hand here and there. You need water shoes, wither rent them or buy them ahead of time. The rocks are not slippery, but are protruding and you cant see the bottom. I felt such a feeling of accomplishemnt, I cant tell you how exhilarating it was. I cant believe people went all that way and didnt climb. GIve it a try, at worst you can back out and go up the stairs. Its worth it...:)

I was just there on 12/24. I'm in decent shape, walk and climb stairs regularly and had no problem on the falls. It can be quite slippery and you sometimes have to step up much higher than you would when climbing stairs. My thighs were sore for a couple of days afterwards. You are wise to be cautious because while the climb is fun and exhilarating it is still quite dangerous. You are sometimes unable to see where you are putting your feet and the rocks on the bottom are uneven, which might make you more vulnerable to ankle injury. Once you get to the falls, you don't have to make the climb. There are stairs along side the falls or you can just hang out on the beach.

The climb is challenging and fun! Definately get the water socks they offer. They will help you grip the rocks better. Everyone is usually very helpful if you need a hand to get up a particular section. If you have a bad ankle, you may think about packing a neoprine (spelling?) ankle brace. I think this would help with stability and hopefully prevent an injury. Like the other posters have said, sometimes you can't see where you are fixing to step. This shouldn't take up too much space in your luggage. Have fun!!!

Archived