Halibut fishing in Seward?

Benji817

Hi all,

My family will be in Seward for a couple of days (pre-cruise) next year. We'll be there during the first week of June, if that makes a difference. My dad really, REALLY wants to go Halibut fishing, so we were thinking about sending him out for a full day trip before the cruise. Is Seward a good location to do this versus one of our port stops (Juneau, Ketchikan, Haines)? :confused:

If so, could someone recommend a particular charter that they've had good experience with? This is probably the only chance he'll have to experience this, so we want him to have the best time possible (I know the actual CATCHING part isn't guaranteed!) :)

Thank you so much for your help!

We stayed at the Seward Military Resort http://www.sewardresort.com/ for a week pre cruise. I know the most popular thing was their halibut charters as we watched the groups come in every evening (with fish:). Since it is military, that may not work for your dad. If you google "Seward charter fishing" you should have plenty of options available. We love catching and eating halibut!

had a great time halibut fishing out of seward. it was a couple of years ago, while on a land trip. there are several spots to go to..halibut tend to "pile" up in one area. we went for mid-size halibut in the 40lb range (better eating the bigger ones). had enough halibut, shipped home, to eat for a long time.

We stayed at the Seward Military Resort http://www.sewardresort.com/ for a week pre cruise. I know the most popular thing was their halibut charters as we watched the groups come in every evening (with fish:). Since it is military, that may not work for your dad. If you google "Seward charter fishing" you should have plenty of options available. We love catching and eating halibut!

Wow, I never knew that existed! My dad is actually retired military, and it looks like we might get a better rate there than some of the other places we were considering. Thanks so much for sharing the link! :)

So it sounds like Seward would be a good choice for Halibut? I just Googled Seward fishing and found a site that has a pretty big list of charters. I'll try contacting a few at random and see what comes up.

Wow, I never knew that existed! My dad is actually retired military, and it looks like we might get a better rate there than some of the other places we were considering. Thanks so much for sharing the link! :)

So it sounds like Seward would be a good choice for Halibut? I just Googled Seward fishing and found a site that has a pretty big list of charters. I'll try contacting a few at random and see what comes up.

We enjoyed our stay there. The first week in June is not their busiest time so your Dad may be able to book a halibut charter with them. Not only do they have the charters, but also have a large building with tables to clean the fish, vaccuum sealers and bags for purchase and freezers and the boat captain will help you clean the fish for a tip! Did I mention that halibut (and Other) fishing is really popular:) Their prices are quite cheap compared to some of the other charters for a full day. We found LOTS to do in the Seward area and were certainly glad we had the week to spend. If you have the time I would consider more than just a couple of days there.

plus a fishing trip can be a great sight seeing trip...

we went very early in the season, the boat captain was happy to have a charter. he took us over to see some wild/sea life. let me use his binoculars to watch for whales. got to see the "spouts" and fins of several different varieties...humpbacks, orcas and others. they were in the distance, but still a thrill. passed several glaciers, the bright blue was easy to spot.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

My family will be in Seward for a couple of days (pre-cruise) next year. We'll be there during the first week of June, if that makes a difference. My dad really, REALLY wants to go Halibut fishing, so we were thinking about sending him out for a full day trip before the cruise. Is Seward a good location to do this versus one of our port stops (Juneau, Ketchikan, Haines)? :confused:

If so, could someone recommend a particular charter that they've had good experience with? This is probably the only chance he'll have to experience this, so we want him to have the best time possible (I know the actual CATCHING part isn't guaranteed!) :)

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Benji,

I'm retired military and I live in Seward. We usually go out with The Fish House (www.thefishhouse.net) The do a very good job, they have good boats and captains, and they work to get the fish. I don't go with the military resort because their captains don't know all the better fishing spots. It's more of a job for them to work towards getting them a better job, if you know what I mean.

Rikki T

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the Alaskans do not waste their natural resources. You must ship your Halibut home if you are not local...no catch and release;) The process is not cheap. Our charter had to turn back because of a really bad storm coming (40 ft. seas forecast..... a small boat:eek:), but we had decided we were either going to eat Halibut for a LONG time at home or ship it to charities. Seward is wonderful and I would spend at least 4 days there. You'll use up two of those days just with fishing and the Fjords wildlife cruise. The rock formations you see on this cruise are just astounding, not to mention the occasional whale and abundant otters and seals.

Archived