DH wants to bring a dive knife~~

Alliezona09

when we go snorkeling in Grand Caymen ... I think he should leave it at home and after reading all the posts about dive knifes being a hassle I *really* think he should leave it at home! Is there any reason he would need one to go snorkeling? I say there are none, he says what if a shark comes up to him~~lol! Please help me convice him that he doesn't need one!

TIA!

The general joke regarding the knife and the shark amongst divers is that with the knife, you wouldn't stab the shark, you stab your buddy and swim away! teehee.gif

As for needing a knife whilst snorkeling, there's no need. No use unless he plans on duck-diving and digging up things (which I would prefer he not do, since the rule should be "don't touch, don't take" or "Take only memories/pictures, leave only bubbles.") I typically don't take a knife when diving, but I take snips instead, since I could possibly get tangled in old fishing line, at worst. A lot of reefs in the Caribbean won't allow you to wear gloves or take knives, also (I think, but not 100% sure, that Cayman is one of these areas)...as they are protected.

Oh, and good luck getting his knife on the ship. He may be able to get it on the ship by checking it with the security staff and claiming it when he plans to do his shore excursions, but it isn't recommended and could be quite the hassle.

when we go snorkeling in Grand Caymen ... I think he should leave it at home and after reading all the posts about dive knifes being a hassle I *really* think he should leave it at home! Is there any reason he would need one to go snorkeling? I say there are none, he says what if a shark comes up to him~~lol! Please help me convice him that he doesn't need one!

TIA!

Unless he's planning on being attacked by evil spies, leave the knife at home (reference to old James Bond movies where he'd cut the regulator hoses of bad guys in scuba gear to get away). As mentioned above, BIG hassle on the ship, BIG hassel on the island. If he sees a shark, just have him push his snorkel buddy between him and it (remember, to get away from a shark you only have to swim faster than everyone else around you). He might want to practice swimming quickly at the local pool for shark defense. :D

And as mentioned, don't go poking around the reef with knifes, sticks, or any other item. Creatures live in the reef and you wouldn't want someone poking around in the rooms of your house.

Randall

No need for it. If he is worried about becoming entangled (hard to imagine this occuring when snorkeling), bring some shears. If he is worried about a shark attack (which I guarantee you in advance will not occur), it may be better for him not to get in the water.

If he does bring one on the trip, it is unlikely it will ever get anywhere near the water, as the above posters have said. The ship will confiscate it. Tell him to save his money.

My wife intended to leave her dive knife at home during a Carnival cruise, but forgot. They held it at security and she had access to take it off the boat whenever we got off. The thing is--an alarm went off when she presented her card to leave the ship each and every time--kind of embarassing for her. They had the knife right there and it took no time to get it. The alarm though; was disconcerting for everyone around.

I've been diving since 1972 and the only things I've used my knife for was banging the tank to get someone's attention or on the boat to pop a beer after the pull-tab pulled off.

btw ... the blade on my current knife is 1 inch long

get over it macho dud .... size don't matter

Thanks for all the replies~ I'm pretty sure he doesn't as I can't remember him ever telling me he's been snorkeling in the past 10 years~and you really don't need one to snorkel!! But heaven forbid he listen to his DW!! lol~~;) I think I have him convinced that it will be a huge hassle getting it on and off the ship etc....

Thank you again~!

Archived