Can you go out when you want?

koiv870

hi!

My cruise is still in 3 years but since it will be my first i'm wondering if we normally can go out of the boat when we want when it is sailed? My cruise is a transatlantic and we arrive in our first port after 2 weeks in the atlantic at 8pm and leave the other day at 8pm. Since trhe day we sailed at 8 pm will be my birthday i'm wondering if you normally can get out of the boat after 8 pm and come back for example at midnight or we have to wait the next morning. That way i can get out and have a nice birthday meal in a restaurant other than the ship one we've been in for 2 weeks.

thanks

hello,

If your ship is scheduled to dock at 8 PM (which I have never heard of even after 30 cruises) most likely you will be allowed off the ship by 10 PM or so. And you do not have to be back on board until 7 PM the next day, or whatever time the ship tells you to be back.

If it is 8 AM, then you should be off the ship by 9 - 9:30 AM and will not have to be back on board until about an hour before the ship is scheduled to sail. An overnight in a port is really nice because you get to see more...the port in the day time as well as at night.

But make absolutely sure you check the times that your ship sails because Captains may change sailing times due to weather or other factors.

hi!

My cruise is still in 3 years but since it will be my first i'm wondering if we normally can go out of the boat when we want when it is sailed? My cruise is a transatlantic and we arrive in our first port after 2 weeks in the atlantic at 8pm and leave the other day at 8pm. Since trhe day we sailed at 8 pm will be my birthday i'm wondering if you normally can get out of the boat after 8 pm and come back for example at midnight or we have to wait the next morning. That way i can get out and have a nice birthday meal in a restaurant other than the ship one we've been in for 2 weeks.

thanks

Once the ship docks in a port and clears customs and other technical stuff, passengers are free to get off the ship, come back and get on, and get off again,

until 30 minutes before the ship is to leave for its next port.

The times you list in your post aren't real clear, so it's hard to tell, but if indeed the ship is there late, you can get off, go to dinner, and just so that you're back before the ship leaves, you're free to do what you want.

Just make sure you find out what time the ship is to leave - as you get off the ship there will be crew there who will tell you.

It helps if you tell us what ship and what port because those things matter. For example, some cruise lines/ships will not keep the ship's entrance manned 24 hours a day and will limit times you can come and go, or the port might, or you might not be docked and have to tender and tender operations will not go on 24 hours a day. But out of curiosity, I looked at your past posts and it looks like you have selected this as your first cruise?:

http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk/itinerary.php

I hope you have a great one, but that is probably a hard cruise for a first timer! Anyway, that makes Halifax the port where you are overnighting.

http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/index.html

So, it looks like you will be docked. I would inquire of the cruiseline if they will allow you to come and go at will there if it is really important to you to be able to do so. Of course, they may not be able to answer either, as it may come down to the decisions of the people managing the ship and the port when you arrive.

It helps if you tell us what ship and what port because those things matter. For example, some cruise lines/ships will not keep the ship's entrance manned 24 hours a day and will limit times you can come and go, or the port might, or you might not be docked and have to tender and tender operations will not go on 24 hours a day. But out of curiosity, I looked at your past posts and it looks like you have selected this as your first cruise?:

http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk/itinerary.php

I hope you have a great one, but that is probably a hard cruise for a first timer! Anyway, that makes Halifax the port where you are overnighting.

http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/index.html

So, it looks like you will be docked. I would inquire of the cruiseline if they will allow you to come and go at will there if it is really important to you to be able to do so. Of course, they may not be able to answer either, as it may come down to the decisions of the people managing the ship and the port when you arrive.

right on man!

That's the cruise and the night i'm talking about. I guess you know when my birthday is now LOL!

So if i understand well, since the boat will probably be docked, it will depend on the cruise line policy to know if i can get off when i want. The ship is the Balmoral of the Fred Olsen cruise line.

thanks for the info. i'll probably ask the cruise line some day (still have more than 2 years and a half so no hurry). I was just asking now in case it was the same for every cruise ship. I didn't know it might be up to the port or the cruise line.

Archived