Car Rental Near the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal?

SF

Are there any car rental agencies near the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal? We wanted to rent a car but did not want to have to pick it up/drop it off at the airport.

If not, are there any good tours or a different way to get to Lexington and Concord to catch a tour there?

You might want to look at Enterprise in South Boston - they will pick you up at the pier - quoted at $50. Most other agencies have a location in downtown Boston, but you have to get there. You can get public transportation from Black Falcon to either downtown or the airport, but it will take you about 1/2 hour each way and cost $2/pp each way. Given your limited time, Enterprise should be much easier and competitive pricewise when you factor in all the costs.

I live next to Concord - our towns share a high school. There is really no other reasonable way to get out to Concord - the trains run infrequently. Car is your best bet. Lexington is not much better. When you decide what you want to do, post back and I will offer suggestions.

Thanks, I'll call Enterprise and post back afterwards with what information I get.

We thought we would take the Liberty Ride Trolley Tour offered that can be picked up at the National Heritage Museum. It seems to be running until the end of Oct.(Have to make a long distance call to confirm). We would have preferred to take a tour of Lexington and Concord from Boston but the problem I am finding is they stop offering them a few days prior to our arrival which is Sat. Oct. 31st. The other problems is that the tours offered don't fit our time in port. We arrive 7am and depart at 4pm so would like to be back on board by about 3pm and most that are still offering tours return at 4pm or later. Would you know any tour companies that do offer tours from Boston that would fit our schedule? The ship is too expensive for a family of four. Have you heard any reviews on this Liberty Ride Trolley Tour?

Appreciate your help.

Just checked and all the Enterprise locations close at either noon or 1 pm so that isn't going to work. Guess I'll check to see if another car rental place is nearby.

If no car rental places are feasible would taking a taxi from the port to the south station then taking the red line to Alewife station and then walking to 33 Marrett Rd work?

I'm puzzled. You are willing to take the Silver Line to South Station, the Red Line to Alewife, and then some local bus to the National Heritage Museum at 33 Marrett Road in Lexington, but you are not interested in popping over to the airport on the Silver Line to rent a car? Do you only want to visit the museum or did you want to drive the Battle Road to Concord to North Bridge? Please tell me what your vision for your day is. Also, what day of the week are you in Boston and what hours is the ship there.

138east:

We will be in Boston on Saturday, Oct. 31st. We wanted to catch the Liberty Ride Trolley 90 min tour leaving from the National Heritage Museum, 33 Marrett Road/Route 2A, Lexington. It seems like a really nice tour and covers most of the main sights. Other than that we wouldn't need the car as we'd just go back to town and walk around a little. We have been to Boston before and have seen most of the sights in town.

ROIE01581:

I will give that limo company a call.

Are any of these rental locations near the port and which one would be the best? Figure we would either take a taxi there and back if we had too since we'd like to be there at 9am when they open but I noticed it said they would pick you up if we wanted to wait. Problem is if we waited we might not make our 10:30am tour in Lexington.

PRUDNTL CNTR / BACK BAY

800 BOYLSTON ST

BOSTON, MA 02199

WESTIN COPLEY

WESTIN COPLEY LOBBY

BOSTON, MA 02116

GOVERNMENT CENTER

1 CONGRESS ST: GOVT CTR

BOSTON, MA 02114

S BOSTON/SEAPORT DIST

230 DORCHESTER AVE

SOUTH BOSTON, MA 02127

Those are the Enterprise locations. The South Boston one is closest to the pier. But as you said, they close at noon. Can you just dump the car off or do you have to return it to the airport? Lexington is only about 15 miles away. You should be able to do it in 1/2 hour, but you will need to print out detailed directions. The area between where you get off the Mass Pike and onto the part of route 2 that is divided is the most confusing. There are several rotaries. However, traffic should not be bad on a Saturday morning.

Given your time constraints, I am wondering why you just don't leave earlier and take the Silver Line to the airport and the rental car shuttle to Enterprise? http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/?route=SILVER You would get the SL2 on at Black Falcon Ave. and go several stops to Silver Line Way and transfer to the SL1 airport bus. You would get off at any terminal and get the Enterprise shuttle. Ask the driver if you can transfer at Silver Line Way - if not just go one stop more to World Trade where I know you can transfer by going up the escalator and over to the other platform. IMO it's a lot easier to get on the Mass Pike from the airport than it is from 230 Dorchester Ave.

138east:

We decided prior to reading your post to hold a car at the Enterprise

1 CONGRESS ST: GOVT CTR. I really don't want to end up at the airport afterwards and I figured it would be just a little amnt. for a taxi to Congress St. and they said I could drop the car off after hours and then walk the two blocks to Fanueil Market and walk around since we would have some extra time. Does that sound like a good plan? Even though the one on Dorcester is a little closer it seems like a more remote area and I'd rather be by Fanueil Market area. More to see and do since we would still have time.

If we have extra time after our tour of Lexington and Concord and decide to keep the car a little longer instead of returning it and walking Fanueil Market since we have been there before what area would you suggest we drive thru or what sights would you suggest to help pass about an hour?

goin-away:

I'm going to check out the zipcar. Not to sure exactly what kind of car it is.

The taxi to 1 Congress Street will be about $15. I like this plan. I would still get off early - the car rental opens at 7 am. The driving is better - you get on I93 north, get off at Route 16 (Mystic Valley Parkway) and just stay on it through Medford and Arlington until you get to route 2 west. If you go early you have several options. One is to continue out route 2 to see Walden Pond in Concord. I did not see that on your 90 minute tour. From Walden Pond I would go into Concord Center, check out the North Bridge, and take Lexington Road/Route 2A("Battle Road") all the way back into Lexington to the museum. Another option would be to find the museum so you know where it is and go into Lexington Center to look at the Battle Green and get a cup of coffee.

After the tour you can go back to see anything that you want to see in more depth. Concord is no more than 15 minutes from Lexington. If you go back to Concord, when you go back to Boston, you would take Route 95/128 north (or maybe east??) to I93 south back to Boston - no need to do the route 16 Mystic Valley Parkway loop again - most of route 16 is local streets and will be more congested in the afternoon. It's shorter, but will probably not be faster. I would allow 45 minutes from Concord back to Boston (I figure 35 minutes from my house to the Faneuil Hall area). I would print out some detailed mapquest pages - there is always more than one way to go.

I had another thought about the trolley. I called Colonial Inn in Concord and they say that it is possible to get on the trolley in Concord at 11:15 am and do the round trip. By starting in Concord you could drive out and see Walden Pond, go to North Bridge (Minuteman National Park - visitor center opens at 9 am), and pick up the trolley ride at 11:15. If you see anything on the tour that you want to revisit, you could stop by on your way back to Boston. Quite frankly there is nothing much at the National Heritage museum other than the museum itself, whereas downtown Concord is charming - small area to walk around and the shops open at 9 am.

Thanks so much for all the detailed information. I thought renting at that location would be better all the way around, glad you agree. Puts my mind more at ease.:) The rental agency there doesn't open until 9am that day (not 7am) as it is a Saturday ( Oct. 31st) so that will cut a few hours off our schedule but in the long run I think it will work. We plan to be waiting outside the office so we should hopefully be on our way by 9:15am or just a little after. If we drive to Lexington, pick up the tour for 10:30am we would still have plenty of time after it ends at 12 noon to go back to what we haven't seen (places you mentioned) or re-visit those we wish too. I figure if we have to be back on the ship no later than 3:30pm if we leave by 2pm that would give us plenty of time to get back to Boston, return the car by their after hours lot and get a taxi (sure there are plenty in that area) back to our ship.

Busy day but it sounds nice. Think my times are about accurate?

Sounds like a plan. I would still consider picking the trolley up at Minuteman Historical park in Concord instead of in Lexington. That would give you time to go to the visitor center and walk down to North Bridge. The tour will stop there, but I don't think you will have more than 5-10 minutes. You will get back to Concord about 12:45 and can drive back along the Battle Road and go back into Lexington if you like. Of all the stops, that one is the prettiest - there should be some late fall leaves on the trees. The Colonial Inn said they have some brochures on the tour. Give me a bit of time and I will stop in there the next time I am in Concord. Please keep checking back or post an email where I can reach you.

That is so nice of you to get some brochures. It's a shame we don't have more time as we will probably miss a lot since we won't be able to go into most of these homes even though our trolley ride ticket would include the house tours.

We probably won't even get to that area until around 10am since we can't pick up the car like I mentioned until 9am. Boy, could we have used that extra hour or two! Wish we were visiting during the week when they open earlier and not on a Saturday.

New idea!!!!! I was thinking why do I even need the trolley to just drive around when I have a car and after looking at their map online why can't we just drive the trail and stop on our own and pay to get into the houses we want to see. That would save a lot of time plus we would be able to spend the amount of time we want at each location. This way it wouldn't cost $25.00 to basically drive around and our cost would only be for one or two attractions. I already downloaded the information for each location. Any comments or suggestions in regards to this new thought? I am getting so confused:confused: and I have only 10 more ports to plan!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Which house tours which would you suggest?

It probably would have been much easier to just stay in the Boston area but I really wanted to see Lexington and Concord.

Thanks again for all your help. Should you ever need any info on Florida just let me know!!!!:)

Since you're paying for the rental car, I also see no reason to do the trolley. Much of this area is the Minuteman National Historical Park, which means there are two visitor centers and several places to stop. The National Park site http://www.nps.gov/mima/ gives detailed directions about the attractions and is a good guide for planning. Most of the attractions are free. However, I would start in Lexington at the Lexington Visitors Center http://www.lexingtonchamber.org/visitor.html. You should follow their directions - Rte 93 north to I95/128 south to Exit 31A to Lexington Center. Just after you pass the Battle Green, make a left on Merriam St. and there is a big parking lot up a block on your right. Go to the visitors center, see the minuteman statue on the Battle Green, and go in Buckman's Tavern if you like ($6). Then get on Mass Ave. west (ask-this is a bit tricky) and drive towards Concord. Just after you cross I95/128 you will intersect with Rte 2A, which is the beginning of the Battle Road. The first NP visitors center is there - they have a movie that runs every half hour. Then you can drive the Battle Road into Concord stopping along the way if you like. Hartwell Tavern is free.

Concord is just a bit more complicated because the Monument Street bridge is currently closed. When you get to the rotary in the center you will be looking at Colonial Inn. Take the road to the left of the inn, cross the river and take the first right onto Liberty St. This will take you to the visitors center. You can walk down the hill from the center to North Bridge, but I would recommend driving back to the rotary, going all the way around so you are facing Colonial Inn again, and making a right at the inn onto Monument Street. This will take you up to Wayside House and the parking for North Bridge.

Downtown Concord has lots of interesting shops and a few sandwich places to grab lunch. When you first hit the rotary Main Street will be on your left (of course you have to go around to get to it). There is lots of parking behind the buildings - just look for the signs. If you still have time I would go back to the National Heritage Museum in Lexington.

Think that is the way to go. We will have a GPS in the car as we are taking our portable one so hopefully we won't get too lost!:D

If we tour this way I think it will work out better since we can spend as much or as little time in locations as we want. Also the cost for us will work out to be a lot cheaper without having to pay for the trolley. The trolley really is a great deal for those people who can take advantage of what admissions the ticket includes but since we don't have the time it really turned out to be just a form of transportation and that we already had.

Glad to know one port appears to be done. Now if I could just have all the rest planned out I'd be in good shape.

Once again, thanks for all your help!:)

Think that is the way to go. We will have a GPS in the car as we are taking our portable one so hopefully we won't get too lost!:D

I copied your itinerary suggestions onto my Boston notes and I'll print the information I saw on the Minuteman National Website also.

If we tour this way I think it will work out better since we can spend as much or as little time in locations as we want. Also the cost for us will work out to be a lot cheaper without having to pay for the trolley. The trolley really is a great deal for those people who can take advantage of what admissions the ticket includes but since we don't have the time it really turned out to be just a form of transportation and that we already had.

Glad to know one port appears to be done. Now if I could just have all the rest planned out I'd be in good shape.

Once again, thanks for all your help!:)

Archived