Maui vs. Oahu

ecualumni06

Hello all,

I am planning my perfect Hawaii vacation. I am already booked on the POA for September of 2010, I would like to plan 6-7 days on an island pre-cruise. I am 29 years old and will be going with my mom who is 56.

I had my heart set on staying on Oahu (Waikiki beach in particular). But now that I think about it more I am thinking maybe a more peaceful less congested island will be better.

When we travel we travel to mostly urban places (Vegas, orlando, nassau, NY, Myrtle Beach) but on my last cruise I REALLY enjoyed the relaxed feel of Key West.

We love to shop and would like to be in an area that has plenty of shopping and activities to do. Will Maui have all this?:confused:

Any input will be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Crystal,

Before you give up on Oahua, I'd suggest looking at areas other than Waikiki / Honolulu. The windward coast of the island is beautiful -- my husband and I fell in love with Kailua and try to spend a week there every November. No hotels on that side, but plenty of vacation rentals on or near the beach in either Kailua or Lanakai (we book through vrbo.com). Great little neighborhoods, a shopping center, restaurants and some of the best beaches you'll find in Hawaii. And, the North Shore is a quick, beautiful drive up highway 83, with lots to see along the way. Also, don't forget Pearl Harbor (a must see) and Diamond Head!

Either way, you can't go wrong because, hey, you're in Hawaii :D, but I hate for people to overlook Oahu because they consider Waikiki to be all that the island is about!

Kailua Beach, where we intend to buy a beachfront home when we win the lottery! ;)

447630273_ScceG-L.jpg

Hello all,

I am planning my perfect Hawaii vacation. I am already booked on the POA for September of 2010, I would like to plan 6-7 days on an island pre-cruise. I am 29 years old and will be going with my mom who is 56.

I had my heart set on staying on Oahu (Waikiki beach in particular). But now that I think about it more I am thinking maybe a more peaceful less congested island will be better.

When we travel we travel to mostly urban places (Vegas, orlando, nassau, NY, Myrtle Beach) but on my last cruise I REALLY enjoyed the relaxed feel of Key West.

We love to shop and would like to be in an area that has plenty of shopping and activities to do. Will Maui have all this?:confused:

Any input will be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Follow your heart and stay in Waikiki. Some love it some hate it for the commercialization, big hotels big shopping. The beach is nice if a bit commercialized. The island has many other wonders once you get away from the big city. Rent a car if only for the days you plan to drive and get to the north shore. There you'll find relaxing beaches and quiet areas that are like the smaller islands. You won't find the Waikiki scene on any other Island. Since you are doing the cruise later you can pick the best of the others islands when you visit.

I personally think 6-7 days is too long to spend on Oahau and might suggest you consider 4 days there and say 3 on another Island, or vice versa depending on what interests you most.

Aloha!

What a great trip/cruise you are planning! I agree with Chipmaster; why not do a few days each on Maui and Oahu?

Maui has plenty of shopping and things to do, but Oahu has many attractions too. Lots of shopping and of course, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, the Bishop Museum, Queen Emma's Summer Palace, etc.

Only drawback to staying on the north shore is the drive time to many of the major attractions-they are in/near downtown Honolulu. There are hotels which are on the outer edge od Waikiki and therefore not quite so "touristy".

If you decide to do two islands, you might look at booking hotels on both with the same provider (e,g, Outrigger, Aston, Hyatt, Marriott, etc). Sometimes they will offer a better deal if you are staying in their properties in different places.

I'd suggest flying into Oahu and doing your three or so days there first, since your cruise is from there. After your Oahu stay, you can hop an interisland flight to Maui and back, arriving in Honolulu the day your cruise begins.

Crystal,

Before you give up on Oahua, I'd suggest looking at areas other than Waikiki / Honolulu. The windward coast of the island is beautiful -- my husband and I fell in love with Kailua and try to spend a week there every November. No hotels on that side, but plenty of vacation rentals on or near the beach in either Kailua or Lanakai (we book through vrbo.com). Great little neighborhoods, a shopping center, restaurants and some of the best beaches you'll find in Hawaii. And, the North Shore is a quick, beautiful drive up highway 83, with lots to see along the way. Also, don't forget Pearl Harbor (a must see) and Diamond Head!

Either way, you can't go wrong because, hey, you're in Hawaii :D, but I hate for people to overlook Oahu because they consider Waikiki to be all that the island is about!

Kailua Beach, where we intend to buy a beachfront home when we win the lottery! ;)

447630273_ScceG-L.jpg

I absolutely agree. When we were there, we went to Kailua every single day. Oahu is a beautiful island with lots to see and do. The people are lovely. I agree that most people who stay in Honolulu and only see Waikiki are not seeing the true Oahu. They're really missing out.

Archived