Is United Safe to Book?

Ships R Great

Not sure why you would book with a bankrupt airline. Two years and they still show no signs of survival. I think they will be the next to fall after USAir which will probably liquidate in the next month or two. With the pilots cut in pay at Delta, they are safe for the next 9 months at least. Southwest is in fine shape as is AirTran.

If the airlines goes under, does travel insurance cover your loss? What happens if the airline goes belly up, are your tickets worthless?

We're cruising out of FLL in April, and I've hesitated booking this early because of all the airlines that are in financial trouble, but I don't want to wait too long and wind up paying thru the nose either.

Suggestions? Advise?

I wish I had a buck for every time I have had to change reservations made so far in advance & then something happens!!! We'd have 2 more free tix to Europe I'm sure!!! LOL I NEVER want to take "the chance" to miss the ship or anything so I book so far in advance & then we end up changing for whatever reason. You REALLY have to work the airline system to get a deal any more! :rolleyes:

Don't know about travel insurance, but do know if you paid for your tickets with a credit card and the airline does not deliver the service purchased (i.e. they go bankrupt and you don't get the flight you purcashed) you are not responsible for the charges.

Always pay with your credit card!

AirTran, JetBlue and Southwest are all profitable and expanding.

No worries. Also good fares and with regular sales.

Hey Hdawson, that's GREAT as long as those carriers fly from somewhere near your "neck of the woods"!!! Where we live, they don't!!! We have to drive 2 hours to Tulsa for Southwest---never even heard of the others!!!

Due to a recently passed congressional bill,if your flight operator goes bankrupt any carrier that has an interline agreement with them(which is most of your major carriers with the exception of Southwes) has to fly you on a space available basis for $25 or less.

Fritzylady

Archived