ncl ----WHY

phish tales

[quote name='johnritt']If you haven't sailed on NCL since they got rid of sails and went to steam, you might temper your expert and always negative opinion untill you can telegraph a somewhat more recent experience to us.:rolleyes:[/quote]

I have similar feelings about Carnivore but somehow don't feel the need to constantly tell everyone over there about it. :rolleyes:

PE

[quote name='MrPete']Sorry? I hope you can read and accept my opinion, as I would do yours.[/quote]

Pete, you sailed on NCL 20 years ago. I accept your opinion as your opinion but I can give it no weight or validity. I don't buy a car or a computer or almost anything else based on how good or bad it was 20 years ago.

Except for cruises, I doubt that you do either.

[quote name='2inTul']Your opinion of a cruise you took 20 (TWENTY) years ago is not relevant or helpful to the OP.[/quote]

She told you that? We seem to be coming from the same background. I'm interested in some answers to her questions too.

[quote name='MrPete']You don't have to. It's not necessary.[/quote]

Interesting how you ignored the rest of my quote. Your 20 year old Consumer Reports must be very dog-eared by now. Buy a Betamax, I hear that it the up and coming thing.

[quote name='MrPete']She told you that? We seem to be coming from the same background. I'm interested in some answers to her questions too.[/quote]

I really have to question how helpful your 10,000 + post have been to anyone. :eek:

If your posts to this thread are any indication I would have to say very little. If you don't have anything more to offer then you are just wasting our time.

[quote name='johnritt']Interesting how you ignored the rest of my quote. Your 20 year old Consumer Reports must be very dog-eared by now. Buy a Betamax, I hear that it the up and coming thing.[/quote]

None of this changes my experience. Yet, none of the last 8 posts even compels me as to why I, or the OP, should try NCL again.

[quote name='MrPete']None of this changes my experience. Yet, none of the last 8 posts even compels me as to why I, or the OP, should try NCL again.[/quote]

Don't be silly Pete. If you want to actually expect us to take a single 20 year old cruise experience as valid for a contemporary cruise, you open yourself up to whatever teasing or ricicule that heads your way.

[quote name='johnritt']Don't be silly Pete. If you want to actually expect us to take a single 20 year old cruise experience as valid for a contemporary cruise, you open yourself up to whatever teasing or ricicule that heads your way.[/quote]

I'm always in the mood for a good ricicule.

I would only expect teasing if I never cruised NCL and was making comments on it.

[quote name='MrPete']I'm always in the mood for a good ricicule.

I would only expect teasing if I never cruised NCL and was making comments on it.[/quote]

Making comments on whether to sail on a cruise line now that you haven't sailed on in 20 years is silly, Pete. Just plain silly.

[quote name='johnritt']Making comments on whether to sail on a cruise line now that you haven't sailed on in 20 years is silly, Pete. Just plain silly.[/quote]

Not at all. I sailed on a ship that still sails that I cruised in 1990, is still sailing, and can still comment on. Unless there's a statute of limitations on something here I'm not aware of.

Still don't see any persuading statements to return.

[quote name='MrPete']Not at all. I sailed on a ship that still sails that I cruised in 1990, is still sailing, and can still comment on. Unless there's a statute of limitations on something here I'm not aware of.

Still don't see any persuading statements to return.[/quote]

If you have a line that you like and it goes where you want to go, I can understand not changing. As you would have a hard time leaving Carnival, I would have a hard time leaving NCL. It is good for us that we have both lines to choose.

But as one who sailed on the Tropicale way back when (about when you sailed on NCL), I would be silly to use my experience back then (ALL of that cigarette smoke in the main dining rooms, God forbid) to comment on a question on sailing Carnival now. Things change, many times alot, in 20 years.

[quote name='johnritt']If you have a line that you like and it goes where you want to go, I can understand not changing. As you would have a hard time leaving Carnival, I would have a hard time leaving NCL. It is good for us that we have both lines to choose.

But as one who sailed on the Tropicale way back when (about when you sailed on NCL), I would be silly to use my experience back then (ALL of that cigarette smoke in the main dining rooms, God forbid) to comment on a question on sailing Carnival now. Things change, many times alot, in 20 years.[/quote]

I don't agree. Carnival has changed VERY little over the last 20 years (other than eliminating smoking from many areas, as many lines have) which is why we try other lines.

[quote name='MrPete']I don't agree. Carnival has changed VERY little over the last 20 years (other than eliminating smoking from many areas, as many lines have) which is why we try other lines.[/quote]

I think that Carnival has changed alot in the last 20 years.

Gone are the poolside beer drinking contests, drink drink drink and party party party attitude, small simple ships, small if at all childrens programs, dressier dining, buying and bringing the duty free alcohol to your cabin, are ones that I can remember now.

I believe that Carnival has changed their attitude from the above to focus on the family and fun you have on a cruise. Not a small change, in my opinion.

[quote name='phish tales']we have heard a lot of negativity about ncl's fleet. food, service. rooms,
staff, ships. etc. etc. we tried 1 ncl cruise and absolutely hated it. it was an older ship (Norway). but the food and crew were still ncl. food was bad, service terrible and we had money stolen from our safe deposit box behind the front desk...... a friend says "give ncl another try" and we said WHY ?????? has anything improved? we hate to spend the money and be disappointed again.
your thoughts.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]I'm one of the few (I think) who did not enjoy the Norway. But that didn't keep me from coming back to NCL, and there is SO MUCH to enjoy. Please give it another try.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I can't say I agree with your assessment of the food and service, however--just the ship itself. You need to bring a good attitude with you on any cruise you go on, and with that, you can overlook the few unpleasant things you may encounter and appreciate all the great things.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Kathy[/SIZE]

[quote name='sjbdtz']

Haven't sailed on Hal, I hear is where I might find my great grandparents (who've been dead for 60+ years)....[/quote]

That might be true on the longer (10+ day) cruises, but on the shorter cruises, you will find a much younger crowd. I was on a 7-day HAL cruise and found the median age to be about 40-50. There were plenty of young couples and families with small children.

[quote name='MrPete']Not at all. I sailed on a ship that still sails that I cruised in 1990, is still sailing, and can still comment on. [B]Unless there's a statute of limitations on something here I'm not aware of.[/B]

[/quote]

Funny you should say that.......I got blasted over on the Princess board doing the same thing. I was commenting on my own experience on one of the older Princess ships and got REAMED by several of the cheerleaders. I, too, wasn't aware that you had to have sailed on a particular ship within a certain time frame before commenting on a thread. ;)

Actually guys, why try and sell NCL to someone who is not buying. I'd rather they not try NCL again. There is a big difference between someone with a little uncertainty and someone like OP and Mr Petey who are so opposed. Of course they are entitled to their own opinion, and type away until their fingers turn blue and fall off, but I think most people on here are savvy enough to get it.

[quote name='Catnip']Funny you should say that.......I got blasted over on the Princess board doing the same thing. I was commenting on my own experience on one of the older Princess ships and got REAMED by several of the cheerleaders. I, too, wasn't aware that you had to have sailed on a particular ship within a certain time frame before commenting on a thread. ;)[/quote]

LOL.
Ready for this? I can top that!

I was told on the Carnival board I was "out of touch" as I haven't sailed them in over 2 years! :D

[quote name='DMH15']Actually guys, why try and sell NCL to someone who is not buying. I'd rather they not try NCL again. [/quote]

What would NCL think about that, telling their target consumer to go elsewhere? :eek:

• Administrators
[quote name='MrPete']What would NCL think about that, telling their target consumer to go elsewhere? :eek:[/quote]

What gives you the idea that the OP here would be NCL's target consumer? Nothing about his post implied he actually is interested in sailing on NCL, or that he would be open to doing so since he already has a negative opinion. It would be like saying you are NCL's target customer -- but if your view of the line hasn't changed in 20 years I don't think it's going to now -- no reason for NCL to target even 1 penny of marketing at you (or the OP, in my view).

[quote name='MichellP']What gives you the idea that the OP here would be NCL's target consumer? Nothing about his post implied he actually is interested in sailing on NCL, or that he would be open to doing so since he already has a negative opinion. It would be like saying you are NCL's target customer -- but if your view of the line hasn't changed in 20 years I don't think it's going to now -- no reason for NCL to target even 1 penny of marketing at you (or the OP, in my view).[/quote]

If I'm a mass market cruiser, and NCL is a mass market line, I am their target consumer.

[quote name='Catnip']Funny you should say that.......I got blasted over on the Princess board doing the same thing. I was commenting on my own experience on one of the older Princess ships and got REAMED by several of the cheerleaders. I, too, wasn't aware that you had to have sailed on a particular ship within a certain time frame before commenting on a thread. ;)[/quote]

I'm curious. How far back in time do you have to go before an experience one has had is not pertinate to a currant situation?

Sooner or later an experience is just an experience and is no longer relevant.

For example, 20 years ago, as an american, I had a very nice time in Caracus. Should I recomend that someone for the US visit there now because I had a good time then? I don't think so. I have great memories of the visit, but my experiences then are not pertinate to thoose seeking advice on going there now.

Archived