Just how bad is the Diamond Palace Hotel?

c&a'smom

We are staying at the Diamond Palace Hotel before our cruise this Sunday. We'll be there tomorrow, and I'm hoping it isn't as bad as some of the reviews on tripadvisor.com made it sound! :( We're also staying there for a couple of days after the cruise. I'll let you know how it is when I get back January 12th.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone stayed here before? We booked this hotel for one night pre-cruise and now after reading multiple reviews' date=' we're not sure we want to stay there............[/quote']

This is my review of the Diamond Palace from our trip in July 2004:

icon1.gifDiamond Palace Hotel, San Juan

Diamond Palace Hotel, San Juan

I would NOT recommend this hotel.

We stayed there July 10, 2004 pre-cruise. What a dump! We had 3 rooms....ours was a suite (king bed with a sofa bed) Two of the lamps didn't work, or the bulbs were burned out...not sure. The air conditioning was almost non existent....didn't work worth beans. The floor next to the bed was wet, smelled like old beer. The sheets on the sofa bed looked like they hadn't been changed, so we had to request new ones.

My sister's room was worse. The toilet kept backing up, the tub was backed up with dirty water, and the ceiling in their bathroom was leaking. When they tried to change rooms, they were told there were no more rooms available. They had workers in her room all night...until 5am in the morning. They still never were able to use the shower and they had to wait until they got on the ship to shower. Their air conditioning didn't work well either. When my sister tried to get some compensation for the inconvience she had in her room,(workers there all night long, no shower available, overflowing toilet, leaking ceiling) she was told because she booked it thru Hotels.com, she would have to take it up with them. Its been almost a month and she is still waiting to hear from Hotels.com. Diamond Palace wouldn't do anything to compensate her.

My nephew's room was "ok" except for the lousy air conditioning and filthy carpeting.

The only good point is that we didn't check in until late Saturday night (10:30), and we were out by 11am the next day. If we had to stay any longer in San Juan, we would have changed hotels.

Bottom line...DON'T STAY AT THE DIAMOND PALACE. It might look nice on the website, but believe me, its not!

Archived