Question For Americans Bringing Pets to the UK on QM2

Katyany

We're pet owners/lovers and also property owners of 4 rental homes...in the US. Over the years we've had both positive and negative experiences with humans and pets, but mostly the humans.

The damage done by pets has always been in direct ratio to the irresponsibility of the human/owner. In banning pets, we're blaming the wrong end of the leash.

In a perfect world I'd rent to pets only and ban the humans, but those pets would have to be non-smokers!

Let's go cruising and leave the politics at home.:)

Why is everyone getting so wound up about this? When you take on the care of an animal you must know, if you have any sense at all, that there will be times when it will be an inconvenience. The benefit you get from the animal will normally outweigh that inconvenience

Gari

Times when it will be an inconvenience!!!??? I can think of not a single nanosecond when my pet has been even remotely convenient, so there are no benefits to be outweighed.

Mary

I well remember over 30 years ago being in Canada staying with friends and our then 3 yr and 1 yr old daughters

We wanted to rent a cottage on the Lakes and we phoned endless places only to be told NO CHILDREN .............eventually in exasperation we said " these are 2 English little girls with parents who say very firmly NO and mean it "

Well the owner said OK I will risk it

At the end of the week they said "in future if its an English couple like you we will be happy to have them and their children ...........we only say no because of the hell caused by so many USA and Canadian families ..........i hguess its no wonder so many apartment blocks in Canada are Adults Only

It is legal to discriminate against pets. And, as far as I can tell, ginger people. One could discriminate against people with beards. Or tattoos. All that is legal.

Not fair, arguably, but life isn't fair.

Now drop it, and stop moaning.

Now you and Garigoun are just being rude. You don't like what someone is saying so you want to shut them up by being rude. It's ungentlemanly and bullying.

We're having a discussion, not "moaning" as you so intelligently express. Don't come on this board and try to bully. Thank you.

Now you and Garigoun are just being rude. You don't like what someone is saying so you want to shut them up by being rude. It's ungentlemanly and bullying.

We're having a discussion, not "moaning" as you so intelligently express. Don't come on this board and try to bully. Thank you.

I disagree. IMHO, both parties to whom you refer have simply stated an opinion and they are as entitled as you, so to do. There is no bullying involved. It seems to me that the conclusion of both posters is that the subject has been "done to death".

:)

I disagree. IMHO, both parties to whom you refer have simply stated an opinion and they are as entitled as you, so to do. There is no bullying involved. It seems to me that the conclusion of both posters is that the subject has been "done to death".

And they can do so without being rude. To tell someone to "stop moaning" etc. is disrespectful and rude. I don't talk to people that way, and I expect the same consideration. I've posted on this board for years now and this is a first; I can't understand why anyone decides it's OK to treat someone as if they are less than deserving of respect.

Now I hope we can drop this and move on.

I've posted on this board for years now and this is a first; I can't understand why anyone decides it's OK to treat someone as if they are less than deserving of respect.

Now I hope we can drop this and move on.

I would like to ask a legitimate question. If you have posted on this board for years, how is it you have only 70 posts?:confused:

I would like to ask a legitimate question. If you have posted on this board for years, how is it you have only 70 posts?:confused:

I imagine that Katyany only responds to respectful posts. That would be a limiting factor!

:eek:

Perhaps the mention of the Office of Fair Trading was the catalyst? Officialdom becoming involved in the personal matter of whether a landlord can or cannot accept a pet onto their premises seems to personify some of what is going wrong in the UK.

Mary

I imagine that Katyany only responds to respectful posts. That would be a limiting factor!

:eek:

Tell me oh Thranite - how many voyages must one make to be upgraded to the top bank of rowers? Is it based on days on board or on rowing performance? Or can such elevation be purchased from a certain employment agency in Norwich?

J

Tell me oh Thranite - how many voyages must one make to be upgraded to the top bank of rowers? Is it based on days on board or on rowing performance? Or can such elevation be purchased from a certain employment agency in Norwich?

J

Many long and arduous days at sea achieving speeds in excess of 30 knots, existing on nothing more than three 5 course meals each day with the threat of Pol Acker to wash it down (assuming the the polishers had any to spare) and paying excessive "introduction" fees to Marti's Maritime Propulsion Services Ltd.

Excuse me! Forgive me if I have missed something along the way but did you not in your original post set out to castigate landlords, the very title of whom you find to be LOATHSOME? Did you not accuse them of being ‘Ridiculous’, ‘Outrageous’, ‘Autocratic’ and discriminatory? Was not your entire post and its successors one long complaint against them? Are not ‘whingeing’, and ‘moaning’ synonyms for complaining? Was there not some emotive mention of, ‘highjacking human basic needs for capitalist interests’? Did it not occur to you that some of the people reading your post may well be landlords who would be highly offended at your slack generalisations about a group of people who are as varied in character as any other group, even pet owners.

From the outset you took a high moral tone on the issue, fair enough. But don’t start screaming ‘Bully Bully’ when someone takes exception to that tone and does so in language as forceful as your own.

Gari

Many long and arduous days at sea achieving speeds in excess of 30 knots, existing on nothing more than three 5 course meals each day with the threat of Pol Acker to wash it down (assuming the the polishers had any to spare) and paying excessive "introduction" fees to Marti's Maritime Propulsion Services Ltd.

30 knots eh? Sounds like you must have served your time on the world's favourite trireme. I heard MMPS were a highly reputable firm. When it comes to propulsion, I gather they put the cat in Caterpillar.

J

It is legal to discriminate against pets. And, as far as I can tell, ginger people. One could discriminate against people with beards. Or tattoos. All that is legal.

Not fair, arguably, but life isn't fair.

Now drop it, and stop moaning.

How about those under 5ft tall, or those over 20stone, or those who dress up stuffed animals and take them to dinner??!! I know Gari has written copiously regarding the 'stuffed' passenger (as in stuffed with cotton wool as opposed to crepes) people. At least the said animal won't require bowls of water and letting out every now and again - or maybe they do?? :confused:

Member since 2001 might be a clue - a member of the board in its previous incarnation even - number of posts doesn't always indicate longevity:rolleyes:

Member since 2001 might be a clue - a member of the board in its previous incarnation even - number of posts doesn't always indicate longevity:rolleyes:

Yes, I saw that Katyany has averaged about ten posts a year for seven and a half years There have been ten posts this go around, so it is a pretty good assumption that Katyany is good for another year, don't you think? :)

How about those who dress up stuffed animals and take them to dinner??!! I know Gari has written copiously regarding the 'stuffed' passenger (as in stuffed with cotton wool as opposed to crepes) people.

Talking about soft toys, (we were, were we not?) they seem to have disappeared. In the last 13 months I have done two B2B’s and a cruise and not once have I been accosted with the demand that I say ‘Hello’ to one of Hamley’s or F.A.O.’s finest.

It’s a mystery. Is there some great natural bi-annual migration perhaps and they have all fled to HAL or NCL. Maybe they have been overtaken by a lemming-like urge for self destruction and are now sinking slowly down to join the millions of other extinct species that form the primeval ooze. Or perhaps, and I admit this is the most unlikely explanation, perhaps their owners have woken up to the fact that they are no longer nine years old and it not, ‘Cute’ or even, ‘Eccentric’ but simply an embarrassment to their fellow travellers and casts doubt on their fitness to be allowed out in public without a carer. Whatever the reason I raise my voice in a paean of praise to whatever member of the pantheon is responsible. Long may it continue.

Gari.

PS. Erratum. I did see one on the Baltic cruise. A very charming 2 or 3 year old proffered her somewhat beaten up and food stained Raggedy Anne for our inspection in a lift. I was of course delighted to comply.

G.

Archived