Is there anything out there?

singlemom onthego

There are a number of cruises that cater to single people, but I've never heard of one that caters to single parents.:(

I know Disney is very kid friendly and is very helpful with parents and kids. And there are a number of cruise lines that cater to either singles, families, or kids. But I haven't heard of anything geared towards single parents. Sorry!:(

Thanks. I am finding the same thing. I think a singles cruise may be too wild, and not quite what I am looking for. Did a trip to Disney in November, and although wonderful, I did feel like I was the only single parent in the place. Not really a problem, as I am outgoing and make friends easily, but I just thought it would be nice to not feel so different.

The ex takes the kids for a cruise every year (and they love it), but he brings his mother along for company.

I am a single mom too, and think the cruise lines have an under-tapped market.

I cruised with my daughter last spring and we had a fabulous time together.

Kids Club gave me good opportunity for alone time and her for kid time. We enjoyed doing the excursions together... We did meet a nice family on one of the excursions and kind of palled around with them.

While we had a lovely time, and I booked us for another cruise this February,

I think it would have been much nicer to have a few more people in similar situations. Even if they could sit some single parents together at the same table would be nice. If someone were to market a cruise on this basis, I for one would be interested.

And while I am spouting marketing advice to the cruise lines, another sure fire attention getter would be a discount for a child as the second person with a parent in a suite. This would certainly have me considering an iternarary that might not otherwise sell out.

Cindy

I, too have cruised with my kids as a single parent. They had their time, I had my time and we also had together time. (dinner was mandatory--no matter what) We had a great time on our cruises.

what exactly is it you are looking for.

Serene,

The mandatory join for dinner is the one my daughter, then six, battled me on. She just had so much fun with the kids and thought the formal dinner was boring. I relented and let her out of the formal formal nights, and I just felt a little fifth wheelish at the dinner table with two other couples and their two daughters. Of course not to the point that I didn't want to be there LOL.

Any idea if the maitre de (can't spell today) knows of other single parents on board so that we could be seated together? I am thinking its the lovey dovey stuff at dinner that is a little eye rolling. Any suggestions?

Cindy

Try your first night at dinner and see what happens. If its a family head to the matre de and asked to be changed to a single family. I also told my kids before we left what is to be expected. so there was no problem there. I understand their need to be with their friends but they have to understand my need for family time. two hours was not going to kill them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think every cruise is great for a single parents! I took my daughters on the Disney Wonder last year and I did not have to worry about them one bit. Loved that I knew where they were 100% of the time. Loved my alone time while they were in the club. Yes it was a little difficult during dinner but that was because I was with another couple and their kids. I think I would have preferred a large table to get more of a variety of people. Princess may be a good option since the anytime seating gives you the option of telling the maitre de to sit you with a bunch of single people. Then if you're uncomfortable you won't have to sit there again.

I can't wait for our Enchantment cruise!

Serene,

Great tip. I thought about it on board, and wimped out... didn't want to hurt anyones feelings, didn't want to be a complainer, etc, etc,

Cindy

I dont think that on vacation you need to worry about ones feelings or being a complainer...Afterall you paid just as much as they did. If it makes you feel better just explain to those what it you are looking for.Another option is to let your agent know your daughter will not be joining you for dinner and request a table with all single people.

Archived