Getting from LaBaie (Saguenay) to Baie Sainte-Catherine

We will be in Saguenay in late October, the 21st, from 7am until 4pm. I believe we will be tendering into either LaBaie or Bagotville. (On the Crown Princess)

Is it doable to take a 3 hour whale watching cruise from either Baie Sainte-Catherine or Tadoussac at either 9:30am or 9:45am? Need advice on how to get to either location and the time involved.

I've seen maps showing the various locations, but have no idea how long of a drive we're talking about (time or distance) and if there's any sort of public transportation available.

Hope some of you Quebec experts can help us out here!

Thanks!

Pam

Pam,

According to Google maps, the drive from La Baie to either Tadoussac or Baie Sainte-Catherine is just a little over 2 hours. So catching a whale watching cruise at 9h30 or 9h45 would be a little ambitious! If I were you, I would take the ship's whale watching excursion (if Princess offers one...) for this one instead of going DIY!

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your help. The only possible whale watching excursion with Princess is on a Zodiac and we really didn't want to do that in October...just a wee bit chilly! Guess we'll just have to forgo this experience.

I guess we'll have to do this some other time.

Pam

If there are whales about, you will see them from your ship. The Zodiak trip is to take people further into the narrows of the Saguenay. Frankly I agree with you about Zodiaks but in any season I find them too rough going and too exposed. I saw those white whales in that area. Can't remember what they are called.

PennyAgain -

Did you see the "white whales" from the ship? Do you remember where you were on the Saguenay? I think they're the beluga whales which we'd really like to see.

My sister, FoxeySandy, is really enthusiastic about seeing the belugas. Any information you can give us would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Pam

Sorry Pam, I had a middle aged mind slip. It happens. The Beluga whales were just at the point where the Saguiney goes off the Saint Lawrence River. The ships' captains know where they linger around to feed. If your ship goes there in daylight you should be on deck looking for them. They are very unusual looking animals.

There were several boats stopped with people looking at the whales. I wonder if you can GOOGLE map that area and have an idea of the lay of the land?

That may be why there just aren't big whale watching trips offered. You can see the whales for free! I was on a small boat but there was a cruise ship lingering as well. We stayed around there for about 30 minutes.

I have to say that whales that color look rather naked! They are hard to photograph. My first impression was 'huh, what is that?' I just checked and GOOGLE calls that a fjord. Most interesting!

You will love the cool weather in Canada. It is really worth the trip to breathe the fresh air and to see the sights. A great reward after an Alabama summer!

Have a wonderful time!

Here is an information link: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1551/saguenay.htm

Pam, if you click through on some of the links in http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1551/saguenay.htm you will find a lot of information in French, but the photos are well worth seeing.

The photo with the whale watch tour boat is at the mouth of the bay/fjord. That is the spot by that headland.

It is really close to the town. Maybe you can buy a tour when you get off your ship.

That area is so beautiful. Well, until winter comes and then it is a difficult place to live.

We can visit in prime season.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks, Penny, the pix are great! We're still trying, but I'm afraid that we'll just have to get up really early and be watching when we come into the Saguenay River around Tadoussac.

We're supposed to anchor at around 7am for tendering into La Baie, I think. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your responses.

Anyone else out there with additional info?

Pam

Pam, the whales will still be there when you sail away at 4pm as you have to exit the bay (fjord) that way. Good luck in your whale spotting. Ask around on your ship before you get near there and see what advice staff and officers have for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi my name is Jean-Pierre Talbot:), I' m a National Car Rental franchisee here in Saguenay. We do offer car rental at the port in LaBaie, we have a portable kiosk to deliver the car at the dock. We can provide compact car, midsize car or mini-van. If you want to make a reservation just contact me by e-mail: loctalbot@videotron.ca . I do speak in english, you can also reach me by phone 1-800-549-2411. It will be easier to use the e-mail adress. So good luck with your trip planning and it will be a pleasure for me to help you for your transportation need. Best regard!

Archived