Independent tours here--HAL is dropping the ball

sparkle56

First, interesting news on the internet about the British govt seizing control of Turks and Caicos this weekend.

But to my question: I've been looking at the boards and at the official Turks and Caicos sites and it seems like there are NO tours unless they are ship's tours. That's fine except on HAL everything is off limits to me and my DH because I have diabetes and he has atrial fib. . .both disqualifiers for participation according to HAL. It doesn't matter that we are both active and the medical conditions are controlled--I can't even snorkel according to HAL even though I have snorkeled on virtually every other Caribbean cruise we've ever been on. We can't even go on two person glass bottom kayaks or boats. We can't take a catamaran ride.

So our only option would be to do something independently--either into Cockburn town, or to some snorkeling place.

Any input or ideas on this?

I really think HAL is being overly concerned. Seriously, all we should have to prove is that we have insurance and will not hold HAL liable.

First, interesting news on the internet about the British govt seizing control of Turks and Caicos this weekend.

But to my question: I've been looking at the boards and at the official Turks and Caicos sites and it seems like there are NO tours unless they are ship's tours. That's fine except on HAL everything is off limits to me and my DH because I have diabetes and he has atrial fib. . .both disqualifiers for participation according to HAL. It doesn't matter that we are both active and the medical conditions are controlled--I can't even snorkel according to HAL even though I have snorkeled on virtually every other Caribbean cruise we've ever been on. We can't even go on two person glass bottom kayaks or boats. We can't take a catamaran ride.

So our only option would be to do something independently--either into Cockburn town, or to some snorkeling place.

Any input or ideas on this?

I really think HAL is being overly concerned. Seriously, all we should have to prove is that we have insurance and will not hold HAL liable.

i think i've read somewhere on these boards that blue water divers will do snorkeling excursions for cruise passengers. i've never used them so i can't vouch for their services, but it might be something for you to consider.

I am in a similar situation as I have IDDM.

I discussed it with my MD, as I have snorkled many times before with no issue.

His advice was to not disclose to the tour operator the fact that I have diabetes. I don't know if I will go ahead and do that or not, but as I have been in excellent control for over 19 years, with no debilitating hypoglycemic incidents, my MD saw little to no risk.

I am even in the process of getting a waiver for a class III medical qualification from the FAA in order to gain a Private Pilot's certificate. I figure if the FAA is OK with a diabetic flying an airplane...HAL shouldn't be so risk adverse for a snorkle excursion!

DH & I don't (didn't) have any medical conditions, we just opted out of all of the HAL excursions. They seemed too pricey and we've traveled independently all over the world, so we just did our own thing! With a little research ahead of the cruise, you can do just about everything the ship offers, but on your own terms! ;) Just my 2 cents... good luck! We LOVED Grand Turk! Bohio Resort for few hours in AM, then DH went scuba diving and I checked out the museum in town. See my Flickr album below if you're interested in seeing what we did. ;)

Archived