Can we check our bags an hour or so before we board? We want to surprise the kids.

scrapulous

Like everyone else I have been waiting to hear the outcome! Awesome that you pulled it off. Not only will your kids remember this for a very long time but you and your husband have a memory to share. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Hi Guys!!!! Yes, it worked! They were TOTALLY surprised.

I would have posted sooner, but I got the FLU. Ugh. I'm feeling somewhat better today, and no fever, so I'm back online. The kids are in school, and no one is sick but me.

Okay, so, the story:

We packed their suitcases and got them in the car while they were visiting my mom for the evening. On Monday morning, my kids didn't seem to think anything of the fact that dad was home from work. :confused: We were sure they'd wonder, but they may have lost track of days, since we went to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels over the weekend. So, hubby finally asked if they wondered why he was home. They said no, lol. So he said he took the day off to go to Galveston one last time before school starts. They were super excited.

When we got to Galveston, hubby dropped us off on the Strand and said he was going to park the car. He then checked the bags. I had put a luggage tag on a flat of water bottles, but they told him at the pier that they changed their rules a month ago, and now the water has to be in a bag or carried on. So he called me to ask what to do so as not to ruin the surprise. The kids would definitely think it was odd that he shows up to the Strand with all that water! I said I could buy a beach bag at a shop and we could pack it that way. Just then a police officer at the pier heard him on the phone and offered to keep the water for him while he went to get us. Nice, huh? So hubby then drove to Lighthouse and parked the car, and walked over to get us. Then he suggested we all go look at the ship, which they love to do. After a few minutes, he asked if they wanted to go see the terminal building. They said no, lol. :p But he said he wanted to check it out, so we went. When the officer saw us, he called hubby over to get the water. My kids and I kept walking. When he saw dad with the water, my son asked where that came from. Hubby said someone asked him to carry it for them, lol. Amazingly, he believed him! As we walked into the building, my son kept saying "They're going to think we're getting on a cruise!" I just said, "well, we'll see how it goes." The kids didn't even notice that I gave someone our passports, lol. They were too busy looking around. Then we get in the "boarding" line and my son said "they're really going to think we're going on a cruise now!" And my husband said, "Yeah, they probably will." So after a minute or so in line, with us not saying anything still, my daughter asked what we were doing in line. FINALLY my son, the 10 year old, figured it out. I got out his camera which takes little video clips, and asked what he just figured out. He told my daughter we were going on a cruise. She started jumping up and down. They were both SO excited, it was really cute! I can't believe how long it took them to figure it out!

I asked my son how it's possible he didn't figure it out sooner, and he said he kept thinking as we walked into the building that maybe were going on a cruise, but he was scared he was wrong, so he didn't want to ask, lol.

Anyway, they loved the whole trip. The loved the Mayan ruins, the snorkeling in Cozumel, eating in the MDR, everything. It really was a great week!

Except that I got the flu once I got home, but I'm on the mend, so all is well.

Thanks for sharing my excitement!

I love it when surprises work out! Good job!

While I would love to see the photos and video I understand your not wanting to post. You are a very caring parent and I only wish I had thought of it first!!!!!!!! Darn it. We are taking all of our adult kids on a cruise on the Ecstacy in February. Unfortunately, due to their ages, we had to tell them so they could take off work and arrange for babysitters.

I better go dry my eyes before the boss wonders why I'm crying. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Anxiously awaiting surprise details

OP already shared the details.....here it is:

Originally Posted by scrapulous viewpost.gif

Hi Guys!!!! Yes, it worked! They were TOTALLY surprised.

I would have posted sooner, but I got the FLU. Ugh. I'm feeling somewhat better today, and no fever, so I'm back online. The kids are in school, and no one is sick but me.

Okay, so, the story:

We packed their suitcases and got them in the car while they were visiting my mom for the evening. On Monday morning, my kids didn't seem to think anything of the fact that dad was home from work. :confused: We were sure they'd wonder, but they may have lost track of days, since we went to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels over the weekend. So, hubby finally asked if they wondered why he was home. They said no, lol. So he said he took the day off to go to Galveston one last time before school starts. They were super excited.

When we got to Galveston, hubby dropped us off on the Strand and said he was going to park the car. He then checked the bags. I had put a luggage tag on a flat of water bottles, but they told him at the pier that they changed their rules a month ago, and now the water has to be in a bag or carried on. So he called me to ask what to do so as not to ruin the surprise. The kids would definitely think it was odd that he shows up to the Strand with all that water! I said I could buy a beach bag at a shop and we could pack it that way. Just then a police officer at the pier heard him on the phone and offered to keep the water for him while he went to get us. Nice, huh? So hubby then drove to Lighthouse and parked the car, and walked over to get us. Then he suggested we all go look at the ship, which they love to do. After a few minutes, he asked if they wanted to go see the terminal building. They said no, lol. :p But he said he wanted to check it out, so we went. When the officer saw us, he called hubby over to get the water. My kids and I kept walking. When he saw dad with the water, my son asked where that came from. Hubby said someone asked him to carry it for them, lol. Amazingly, he believed him! As we walked into the building, my son kept saying "They're going to think we're getting on a cruise!" I just said, "well, we'll see how it goes." The kids didn't even notice that I gave someone our passports, lol. They were too busy looking around. Then we get in the "boarding" line and my son said "they're really going to think we're going on a cruise now!" And my husband said, "Yeah, they probably will." So after a minute or so in line, with us not saying anything still, my daughter asked what we were doing in line. FINALLY my son, the 10 year old, figured it out. I got out his camera which takes little video clips, and asked what he just figured out. He told my daughter we were going on a cruise. She started jumping up and down. They were both SO excited, it was really cute! I can't believe how long it took them to figure it out!

I asked my son how it's possible he didn't figure it out sooner, and he said he kept thinking as we walked into the building that maybe were going on a cruise, but he was scared he was wrong, so he didn't want to ask, lol.

Anyway, they loved the whole trip. The loved the Mayan ruins, the snorkeling in Cozumel, eating in the MDR, everything. It really was a great week!

Except that I got the flu once I got home, but I'm on the mend, so all is well.

Thanks for sharing my excitement!

The older I get (I'm 60 :eek:) the more sentimental I become. I have to say that I have tears in my eyes, right now, thinking of how wonderful your surprise work. This is one memory that will last your stay with your children their entire lifetime.

When you are feeling better please come back and post a review along with photographs.

Go back to post # 99 for the start of the review.

Thanks. I read her pre-cruise review and how they surprised the kids but its been awhile since I have been on the Conquest and was hoping that she could write a review of the ship, the ports-of-call etc. I guess this weekend when I am stuck instead because of all the rain we are expecting I'll find the time to go back and read all the posts.

Thanks again though. Its nice when someone, who has read all the posts, gives us the exact place we need to go to. I do appreciate it.

Always wanted to surprise our 3 kids like this but it never seemed to be doable logistically - we have to fly a fair distance for any cruise, time off, house and animal arrangements - just impossible.

We have a Splendor cruise booked out of Long Beach in April on which the kids and I are surprising the Mrs. with a vow renewal ceremony for our 20th. The kids will be best men and maid of honor - she hasn't a clue.

Just did the unthinkable and booked Legend in August out of Tampa. It might work to surprise the KIDS on this one since we're flying down early to stay at the in laws retirement house and can drive to the port. We'll be down 4-5 days early so we think we might just tell them we're going to FL for a week and then, pack up for the airport at the end....only to drive to the port.

The way my kids are in the van when they don't want to go someplace (home in this case), my guess is they'll be buried in their books and ipods - we'll pull up to the curb....hand the bags to the porters....I'll park....come back.....we'll walk into the building (without them even seeing the ship - they'll be convinced we're at the AIRport......until we start seeing carnival signs at the check in desk. I THINK IT WILL WORK!!

Archived