Upsellling

edicus

I've read here that NCL contacts customers shortly before a cruise to upsell the cabin category. I am booked on a mini suite. I am curious as to what the upsell price to a penthouse would be, for those of you that have had this offered to you recently.

Thanks!

See other recent posts concerning upsells. They also deal with the notion that the cruiser can, in fact, initiate the call instead of waiting by the phone for the "magic" call. Others have called and obtained an upsell by simply asking and in some cases counter-offering the initial offer. Google for the upsell number (800) and call two to three weeks out.

Peter

I've read here that NCL contacts customers shortly before a cruise to upsell the cabin category. I am booked on a mini suite. I am curious as to what the upsell price to a penthouse would be, for those of you that have had this offered to you recently.

Thanks!

It's very much based on how much you paid for your cabin initially. If you got a good deal by booking way in advance (which is what I do), the upsell offer won't be as good as someone else who paid more.

My parents were offered an upsell from a balcony to an AE Penthouse for $500 total. However, you have to be quick. I don't know why they bother leaving a message if they don't wait for you to call back. :mad: I guess make sure you leave a number that you can be reached on at any time. Anyway, that was their offer for a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Too bad they didn't get it.

auducky2: They don't wait because they have a list of passengers to call and the upsells they offer are "first yes gets it." They leave a message because it's possible that the offer (or another) will still be available when/if the passenger returns the call.

How the lists are generated, I don't know. Generally, passengers and TAs cannot call the tiny Upsell Dept themselves to initiate an upsell. More accurately, of course you can call, but the usual answer is "We no longer accept incoming calls because the volume of calls got completely out of hand." Sometimes, passengers or TAs can call the cruise line and talk to a rep who can negotiate with the Upsell Dept to make an upsell offer happen. But that is not the standard thing anymore. What happened was that literally thousands of passengers would call the Upsell Dept every day asking for an upsell. Some would start calling months before their cruise date and would call nearly every day. As well, some savvy cruisers would book cabins much lower than the category they wanted and then would start in with requesting an upsell. The Revenue Dept was less than thrilled with that. (I think it's why they instituted the no refund deposit on high end suites. I believe that some people would reserve them and then release them right before final payment--and then call and ask for an upsell from a lower level cabin they booked.)

Sure, anyone can try calling the Upsell Dept or the Reaccomodation Dept, but be prepared to be told "No, we will call you if you are on our list and if their are any upsells offered for your cruise."

And best of luck to everyone who is hoping for an upsell.:)

beachchick

auducky2: They don't wait because they have a list of passengers to call and the upsells they offer are "first yes gets it." They leave a message because it's possible that the offer (or another) will still be available when/if the passenger returns the call.

How the lists are generated, I don't know. Generally, passengers and TAs cannot call the tiny Upsell Dept themselves to initiate an upsell. More accurately, of course you can call, but the usual answer is "We no longer accept incoming calls because the volume of calls got completely out of hand." Sometimes, passengers or TAs can call the cruise line and talk to a rep who can negotiate with the Upsell Dept to make an upsell offer happen. But that is not the standard thing anymore. What happened was that literally thousands of passengers would call the Upsell Dept every day asking for an upsell. Some would start calling months before their cruise date and would call nearly every day. As well, some savvy cruisers would book cabins much lower than the category they wanted and then would start in with requesting an upsell. The Revenue Dept was less than thrilled with that. (I think it's why they instituted the no refund deposit on high end suites. I believe that some people would reserve them and then release them right before final payment--and then call and ask for an upsell from a lower level cabin they booked.)

Sure, anyone can try calling the Upsell Dept or the Reaccomodation Dept, but be prepared to be told "No, we will call you if you are on our list and if their are any upsells offered for your cruise."

And best of luck to everyone who is hoping for an upsell.:)

beachchick

I have been successfull on two out of my three NCL cruises to get an upsell by calling the upsell Department themselves, not a rep. Each ship has it's own person. I'd rather call and be told "no", than wait for a call that odds are won't come. I believe that if you wait until an appropriate time (two to three weeks out) and are polite, they will accomodate you. Now, I always book direct, so I believe I have a bit of an advantage.

Peter

I have been successfull on two out of my three NCL cruises to get an upsell by calling the upsell Department themselves, not a rep. Each ship has it's own person. I'd rather call and be told "no", than wait for a call that odds are won't come. I believe that if you wait until an appropriate time (two to three weeks out) and are polite, they will accomodate you. Now, I always book direct, so I believe I have a bit of an advantage.

Peter

Do you have the upsell phone # please?

• 2 weeks later...
Can you PM me SeattleMother? I'm getting frustrated because I've been looking for the number since 9:13 a.m. EST today! :D

NO NEED, FOUND IT!

WISH ME LUCK!

I can't find it.......has anyone else found it, why can't the number be stated why is it a secret?

Dorene

Now, I always book direct, so I believe I have a bit of an advantage.

I believe this as well. My last cruise I booked direct myself. I had done that in the past, but then I would turn the reservation over to a TA. During my phone conversation while I was booking with the rep I had mentioned this. She asked me if that was what I was going to do again, and I responded that I would not be...since I was basically doing all the work and the TA was getting the commission and giving nothing back to me. My TA had told me one time that he loved getting upsell calls for his NCL clients because he would also get a commission on the upsell.

Don't you know I got the call for the Upsell. I went from an AF Mini to an AE Penthouse - and I had a choice of 2 cabins to pick (port or starboard). I want to think that the original offer was for about $400. I negotiated it to a lesser number though. At my M & G onboard I met the people that got the cabin that I hadn't chosen. They got the call the day after me and went from a Balcony to the AE, they paid about $100 less than I had for the same upsell.

I don't think any of us will be able to completely figure out a rhyme or reason for any of this.

Another good example of what I've been saying all along....don't just sit there wishing and hoping for an upsell. Pick up the phone and ask for one. Just don't do it five months out. My rule of thumb is about two to three weeks out. As you can tell, it pays to have booked direct.

Peter

Another good example of what I've been saying all along....don't just sit there wishing and hoping for an upsell. Pick up the phone and ask for one. Just don't do it five months out. My rule of thumb is about two to three weeks out. As you can tell, it pays to have booked direct.

Peter

Thank you especially Peter, I am new to NCL, new to these boards and only because of you did I even think I could call to get the upsell. Yes, I am still 5 weeks out and it wasn't that cheap (some people saying they got a suite for $500) but because it's my first NCL cruise I highly doubt I would be the one to get the call and I reallllllyyyy wanted a suite.

Peter

Hmm...you are saying that if you booked with a TA you can't make that call? Can my TA make that call to the upsell dept in my behalf? :confused:

Ok.. so I know the info was put on the thread to google to get the number to call, but has anyone who has actually called these people.. who actually encourages people to make the call themselves.. posted this departments number? Come on.. share the info. I have read through this thread twice, so if you have shared it and I missed it, I apologize.

I totally agree Terry, I tried to google the number over and over and found nothing except referrals to cruise critic boards on upsell. I figured that if anyone actually posted the # they might get their hand slapped or have to walk the plank or something so I kept trying and finally got it off of google by putting in 800 ncl upsell number. I called and got a recording, [big whoop] but in all fairness it might have been past 5 in Florida when I called. All that to say nothing I guess but that's my 2 bits, will let you know if they call me back tomorrow. Peggy:confused:

Thanks!

Sorry OP... I meant to put this in my other posting, but by the time I realized I had not, it was too late for me to edit my post.

As far as the offer made, a good rule of thumb is to look at what your current cabin is listing for and what the cabin you hope to upgrade to is listing for. Subtract the difference and "usually" the offer is around 50% of that amount, give or take 10%. What I always recommend folks to do who are hoping for an upgrade is to do the above formula so that if they get a call about the upgrade, they can have an idea of what they are willing to spend for the stateroom you want, if it is offered. You can nego the price sometimes, but depending on how long they have left to sell the room will depend on their willingness to work with you on the price.

wow thats a little rich for an upsell.

With the site that I use to book, looks like she saved $370; $900 upsell cost vs. $1270 for paid upgrade. That's a nice savings and the cruise will be so much better now with the extra space, service, and options. Probably would cost less if NCL initiated the call, but I appreciate taking fate into ones own hands. If you want something, just do it. Enjoy! I would do the same thing...on the other hand, I'd probably call back and ask what the next upsell would cost...we were in a AB and then just decided to go for it and upgrade to the Garden Villa. While somewhat pricey, it was eight months ago and every time I think about it, I smile. Some things in life are priceless...memories. :)

Archived