Upsellling

edicus

I totally agree Terry, I tried to google the number over and over and found nothing except referrals to cruise critic boards on upsell. I figured that if anyone actually posted the # they might get their hand slapped or have to walk the plank or something so I kept trying and finally got it off of google by putting in 800 ncl upsell number. I called and got a recording, [big whoop] but in all fairness it might have been past 5 in Florida when I called. All that to say nothing I guess but that's my 2 bits, will let you know if they call me back tomorrow. Peggy:confused:

I have posted the number before and the post lasts about two minutes and I got a nasty note from CC. Someone posted that if you go back on this board about four years or so, there are several posts with the number. That's how I got it......saw it four years ago and called for my first successful upsell.

Peter

wow thats a little rich for an upsell.

It all depends on what you think rich is. I really wanted the AD suite and I saved $600 from the original price. For me it was fine as I didn't want to sit back & hope I got the call and then kick myself for not calling. I really need this vacation and the AD will make it sooooo much better.

Sorry OP... I meant to put this in my other posting, but by the time I realized I had not, it was too late for me to edit my post.

As far as the offer made, a good rule of thumb is to look at what your current cabin is listing for and what the cabin you hope to upgrade to is listing for. Subtract the difference and "usually" the offer is around 50% of that amount, give or take 10%. What I always recommend folks to do who are hoping for an upgrade is to do the above formula so that if they get a call about the upgrade, they can have an idea of what they are willing to spend for the stateroom you want, if it is offered. You can nego the price sometimes, but depending on how long they have left to sell the room will depend on their willingness to work with you on the price.

To expand on this: If you call three months before sailing you will likely get no offer. If you call six weeks before sailing the offer you get will likely be more than if you call two to three weeks from sailing. Also, as with any negotiations, success is dictated by your approach. "I was wondering if....."

Peter

It's very much based on how much you paid for your cabin initially. If you got a good deal by booking way in advance (which is what I do), the upsell offer won't be as good as someone else who paid more.

Monteman, I disagree.... On my Oct Dawn to Bermuda, we got a "Buy one, 2nd 1/2 price BA Balcony. We got a call after the last payment for a Penthouse upgrade, Desk 8 AE. The end cost after upgrade was equal to what we saved on the 1/2 price offer.

That was the first upgrade after 7 cruises..... Hope we get called for the Nov Jewel cruise

• 4 weeks later...
To expand on this: If you call three months before sailing you will likely get no offer. If you call six weeks before sailing the offer you get will likely be more than if you call two to three weeks from sailing. Also, as with any negotiations, success is dictated by your approach. "I was wondering if....."

Peter

Peter: Exactly how & what would I be asking for :confused:

"I was just wondering if an upsell is available ?" Or what other terminology would I use ?

Happy Cruising........

DonnaF :D

Peter: Exactly how & what would I be asking for :confused:

"I was just wondering if an upsell is available ?" Or what other terminology would I use ?

Happy Cruising........

Everybody has their own way of saying things. I might say something like. "Hello, my name is Peter and I'm booked on your january 2 jewel cruise. I was wondering if that cruise is in an upsell process yet and if so, I would be very interested in one."

Peter

Everybody has their own way of saying things. I might say something like. "Hello, my name is Peter and I'm booked on your january 2 jewel cruise. I was wondering if that cruise is in an upsell process yet and if so, I would be very interested in one."

Peter

Thank you Peter. My DH called the upsell number today and we were able to go from an stern BA to an AB penthouse. We are sailing on the Star to Mexico October 31st. Woo Hoo!:D

WOW ~ Congratulations ! ! ! That is wonderful. Well I read some *fine print* on my reservation/booking [that I received a $300 OBC with] and it states that if I change my reservation in any way [ie different category &or cabin] my OBC would no longer apply :eek: So I guess I will not be calling for an upsell this time. But I will know for next time.

Happy Cruising.......

We got an upsale offer this week from the upsale fairy but we must have gotten a good deal on our cabin originally because they offered $619 pp to go up. Not worth the extra to me but maybe next time we will just start with a higher category from the get go. First time on NCL and we are keeping an open mind

We got an upsale offer this week from the upsale fairy but we must have gotten a good deal on our cabin originally because they offered $619 pp to go up. Not worth the extra to me but maybe next time we will just start with a higher category from the get go. First time on NCL and we are keeping an open mind

Depends what category you had booked and what category they were offering you. It also depends on how close to the cruise date they are and how many suites (or other staterooms) are still available.

One of the offers I got was for $750/pp. But it was for an owner's suite, and it still would have been a savings of about $2000/pp on that cruise over the original price. More than I could afford at the time given everything else I had planned. (I'd probably jump at it for the same cruise now). When I asked if there was another offer they could make, I got a more reasonable offer for a penthouse suite at less than half that amount. A savings of at least $1000/pp over the original price. But again, it depends on what's available.

I had booked the lowest price inside guarantee on another line a couple of years ago. As the cruise got nearer and nearer, I was contacted several times with an offer for an upsell, at lower and lower prices. I declined.

Finally, two days prior to departure, I learned that I had been assigned a nice center of ship outside cabin. Apparently the insides all sold out, and the cruise line was trying to get me to pay more for what they had to give me anyway.

We got a call from the Upsell fairy on our first Dawn cruise. We had booked an AF (mini) and got an upsell to the AB Penthouse for $900. There were 4 of us. And, the price difference was $4,000. That was definitely a no-brainer. We took it. And, haven't sailed in anything less, as a family, than an AB since. So, they got us: hook, line, and sinker!

Another couple and me and my DH are booked on the NCL Pearl in AF cabins at the back end of the ship. Do you think these types of cabins get requests to be upsold? We were told the back of the ship goes first. Just wondering. I would like to be upsold. We were lucky to get an upsell from an AF to an AB last time and we were on the mid-side of the ship. I am going to keep in mind calling a few weeks prior. That is a good idea. Not sure how fast the cabins sell out to Alaska mid June. Maybe there won't be any upsells to be had... Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

WOW ~ Congratulations ! ! ! That is wonderful. Well I read some *fine print* on my reservation/booking [that I received a $300 OBC with] and it states that if I change my reservation in any way [ie different category &or cabin] my OBC would no longer apply :eek: So I guess I will not be calling for an upsell this time. But I will know for next time.

Happy Cruising.......

Go ahead and call!

When I called to ask for an upsell from an AF to the AE that I saw was available on our last cruise I told them I would pay the extra $200 ONLY if I could keep my $400 OBC. They put me on hold..came back and said OK!

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask...all they can say is no.

The times the number has been posted here in the past it has been removed.

The upsell desk will stop taking calls altogether if hundreds of people start calling them. It is a TINY dept.

Also to the OP, you can always book up if something is available, but in fact you end up paying the going rate in most cases.

for instance what is the current rate for the Romance suite you upgraded to? How does that compare with the total you paid for the BA and then the upgrade?

The times the number has been posted here in the past it has been removed.

The upsell desk will stop taking calls altogether if hundreds of people start calling them. It is a TINY dept.

Also to the OP, you can always book up if something is available, but in fact you end up paying the going rate in most cases.

for instance what is the current rate for the Romance suite you upgraded to? How does that compare with the total you paid for the BA and then the upgrade?

I've seen you post this remark many times and I still can't figure out what your motive is. I don't know what the downside is of calling and asking. The worst thing that could happen is they would change the number. That's the chance we'll have to take. Why do you care so much? They aren't going to stop upselling. Are you a romantic and cherish the idea of the "upsell fairy". One of life's lessons is take charge of your own destiny. If you want an upsell, don't sit by the phone hoping it will ring. Pick it up, call and ask.

Peter

HI must be nice to live in America and get these phone calls,not going to ring Australia thats for sure.I booked via online agent in USA booked balcony on GEM 1st NOV cost $750pp good deal,asked them to enquire about upgrade to mini-suite as they are doing deals,came back at $250pp plus their fee $39 also said may lose OBC as not now available,no way said I,will stay put,as for the OBC don,t even know if we have one so will be nice surprise if we have,you lot are spoilt for choice but I laugh at the people who book on UK sites and get ripped off(not all of course but a lot are) P.S. I,am english by birth hence my CC name.....

I've seen you post this remark many times and I still can't figure out what your motive is. I don't know what the downside is of calling and asking. The worst thing that could happen is they would change the number. That's the chance we'll have to take. Why do you care so much? They aren't going to stop upselling. Are you a romantic and cherish the idea of the "upsell fairy". One of life's lessons is take charge of your own destiny. If you want an upsell, don't sit by the phone hoping it will ring. Pick it up, call and ask.

Peter

Frankly I don't care, I posted this in the past because when the number has been put on here the moderators have removed it. NCL has asked it not be published and if people abuse the number calling all the time they WILL change it, or stop taking calls. they have in the past.

That is the full extent of my motive as you put it. I have actually given the number to people who have emailed me in the past.

If you think I am romantic and believe in the Upsell fairy you obviously have not read most of my posts. I doubt anyone on here would attribute any idealism or romance to me.

I am however a glass half empty person and I do look at the down side of things.

also you will never meet anyone more Proactive and running their own destiny as you put it than I.

Frankly I don't care, I posted this in the past because when the number has been put on here the moderators have removed it. NCL has asked it not be published and if people abuse the number calling all the time they WILL change it, or stop taking calls. they have in the past.

That is the full extent of my motive as you put it. I have actually given the number to people who have emailed me in the past.

If you think I am romantic and believe in the Upsell fairy you obviously have not read most of my posts. I doubt anyone on here would attribute any idealism or romance to me.

I am however a glass half empty person and I do look at the down side of things.

also you will never meet anyone more Proactive and running their own destiny as you put it than I.

The reason I ask is that I try to persuade people to call the number instead of waiting. Your posts warn them not to, which is counterproductive to mine. As is pointed out many times on these boards, CC represents less than 5% of all cruisers, so I am trying to help out the minority being the romantic that I am!

Peter

We are sailing on the Dawn on the 18th. At our request our TA called NCL yesterday to ask about an upsell and we were able to go from an AC to an AA for $250 per person. Our AC cabin was upsold to another person on our roll call who also called NCL for an upsell. I'd say being proactive has worked for us!

HI must be nice to live in America and get these phone calls,not going to ring Australia thats for sure.I booked via online agent in USA booked balcony on GEM 1st NOV cost $750pp good deal,asked them to enquire about upgrade to mini-suite as they are doing deals,came back at $250pp plus their fee $39 also said may lose OBC as not now available,no way said I,will stay put,as for the OBC don,t even know if we have one so will be nice surprise if we have,you lot are spoilt for choice but I laugh at the people who book on UK sites and get ripped off(not all of course but a lot are) P.S. I,am english by birth hence my CC name.....

Just because you don't live in America doesn't mean you can't call NCL and ask for an upsell. They don't care where you're calling from. Now in your case, since you booked thru a travel agency, you would have to have them call an ask for an upsell, not an upgrade. Next time, book direct and you will be able to speak directly with NCL.

Peter

We are sailing on the Dawn on the 18th. At our request our TA called NCL yesterday to ask about an upsell and we were able to go from an AC to an AA for $250 per person. Our AC cabin was upsold to another person on our roll call who also called NCL for an upsell. I'd say being proactive has worked for us!

This is wonderful. I have asked my TA to call and they keep telling me all they get is voicemail. Do you think I am being lied to by a lazy TA or are there different reactions from NCL based on the caller. I even went as far as giving my TA the upsell number. I also called my self and was given the lady's name that handles upsells for the Pearl and left her a VM. I have been sitting patiently by as suite after suite has been disappearing from the list hoping for a call that may never come. By the way I leave on the Pearl in 3 days. Just hoping I can catch the fairy by the wings if she flies close by.

Waiting hopefully. T.

This is wonderful. I have asked my TA to call and they keep telling me all they get is voicemail. Do you think I am being lied to by a lazy TA or are there different reactions from NCL based on the caller. I even went as far as giving my TA the upsell number. I also called my self and was given the lady's name that handles upsells for the Pearl and left her a VM. I have been sitting patiently by as suite after suite has been disappearing from the list hoping for a call that may never come. By the way I leave on the Pearl in 3 days. Just hoping I can catch the fairy by the wings if she flies close by.

Waiting hopefully. T.

My TA was originally told NCL was not upselling our sailing yet. I told her about posts on my roll call indiating that was not true and asked her to call back. TA did and got the name of the person in charge of upsells for our sailing, but was told she was out of the office for the day. TA left a message and later that day she was successful in an upsell for our cabin, but not my mom's (they were booked together). That took 2 calls the following day, but ultimatley we got an upsell there too. I suggest pushing your TA to follow up with muliple calls if necessary.

Good Luck!!!!

Waiting hopefully. T.

I don't believe that's true. When I called I got an automated attendant asking me to hold for the next available agent who picked up in about 2 minutes or less.

Archived