Nobody has a crystal ball

Solo1959

Another cruise line insurance question...

I'd like to book a cruise for April 2011. Carnival has a great rate and really low airfare for this cruise. I could book it tonight.

But who knows what is in store for the future? I know that under "normal" circumstances, if I need to cancel because of an illness or death in my immediate family, the Carnival insurance would cover the cancellation of the cruise.

But what if there is an illness or a death way before the cruise date? This cruise is 20 months away. If some tragedy should occur, let's say 5 months from now, 15 months from the date of the cruise, would I be able to cancel and use the insurance in 5 months? Or does the tragedy or cancellation have to occur at the approximate time of the cruise?

In theory, if there were a family tragedy, I might no longer be able to take the cruise because I'd have to take care of a family member, or my life circumstances might change such that I could no longer take the cruise because of the tragedy. And this could occur well before the 20 month from now cruise date.

I know it is morbid to plan your life around tragedy, but with the new Early Saver rates you can not just cancel. The deposit is non-refundable and you have to rely on insurance to cover these unforeseen but very possible events.

Any thoughts on this, or any knowledge of how it works?

Book it! You don't have to pay for the whole trip now, just a deposit. Call the insurance company you usually use and ask them your question.

Twenty months is a long time away. Things that happen closer to sailing are more likely to cause you to cancel than things that might happen now.

If you book ES 20 months out and had to cancel for a covered reason, the insurance will cover the $50 fee you will lose. The other $200 is not covered because it can be used on a future cruise. If you cancel before final payment, only the deposit would be involved. If you had paid it off early, the cruise line would refund before final payment.

Archived