Where on earth do you find petite formal dresses?

tamsam07

I am having a heck of a time finding a nice variety of petite formal dresses. I'm only 5' so this is a major task. I have checked all the big stores. Yes they have some but they are very boring and mostly all black.

Do any of you know of any online stores that I might not know about? Can y'all help a short gal out?

Also, to those of you who have ordered gowns online, have you been lucky with how they fit? The sights give only one chart size and measurements for all the gowns. But we ladies know each one fits differently. I'm scared I'm going to spend all this money and have something that is so off sized and can't be altered.

Thanks, I looked at Nordstrom's and I didn't see anything I really liked.

I like things that are different. Here's a pic of a dress I like. I know it's not a gown, but I can't find any gowns for short people. I'm bout to give up and just buy another nice cocktail dress.

<a href=

Here are a couple of ideas:

Ann Taylor

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/category.jsp?Ne=8&loc=LN&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_180&N=1200396+62&Nty=1&categoryId=180

Dillards seems to have a good selection:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/EndecaStartServlet?N=1606023

Cache has wonderful evening dresses, but they don't have petite sizes in particular. But many are shorter, so depending on your build, they may fit:

http://www.cache.com

And anthropologie also doesn't seem to have petite sizes, but again the style seems to be for shorter waists and skirt lengths so some of these may work:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/category.jsp?_DARGS=/anthro/catalog/common/highlited_itemcount.jsp_A&_DAV=true&_dynSessConf=7279095510026614452&viewAllOnOnePage=yes&itemCount=-1&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&selectedProductSize=&startValue=1&id=CLOTHES-DRESSES&selectedProductColor=&defaultSort=&navCount=5&templateType=&navAction=top&displayNumber=8&selectedProductSize1=&sortby=&prepushId=&popId=CLOTHES

Hope this helps - I'm tall but like to look for clothes!

If the dress fits everywhere except the length, then take it to an alterations place and have it shortened. It might cost a whole $20:D. I'm 5'1" and I have to have everything shortened, even petites. I used to do it myself, but when I discovered that alteration shops charge so little AND the hem is the same length all the way around (which most ready-made dresses are not) after they are shortened, I don't even look at the length any more.

Another shorty here. I am 5 measly feet too. What I found is that on the hanger, they look longer. Try a few on anyway if you have'nt already. I have about 5 gowns, non petite. Sometimes they are too long, but sometimes I get lucky. Plus, I figure in I'll be wearing about 2 or 3 in. heels. That makes a huge differance.

Hello again,

Well the gown I found has alot of beadwork on it and it is pretty long. Its 59-60 alone from strap to hem. That would be a huge alteration, and I will not be wearing 3" heels. I have to shop online, as I live in Germany and there are almost no shops that carry formal dresses where we are. So I can't try anything on. It is pretty scary to order something so expensive online and not even know how it is going to fit.

I'm just going to go with a cocktail dress for the cruise, but will have the same dilema when I go to find a ball gown. I will just have to find something that will be easier to alter. I really wanted that beaded gown :mad:. They need to make more gowns for short people. It's so frustrating. All the beautiful gowns I've found are made for women who are 5'7"-5'11. Where are all these tall people? 5'7" isn't even average either.

Thanks everyone for your links and suggestions. It is much appreciated as always.

Hi! I'm also 5 feet tall, and just buy regular sizes and alter them to fit. Usually just the lenght and straps have to be adjusted and as someone else mentioned, it isn't that expensive. The petite selection is not the same, so I generally don't even bother for formal/dress clothes.

What I have been doing is trying on items I like in department stores, for size, that way when they go on sale on line, I know what size I need for that particular designer. All designers are different, but now I have a better idea, and can take advantage of sales. And, if you do buy on sale, it is easier to justify the alteration charges.

I've had several beaded gowns, and I think that all of them have had to be hemmed, even though I'm almost 5'5" and wear 3-4" heels. The manufacturers like Jovani make the gowns long enough to fit taller women, since it is obviously much easier to shorten than lengthen a gown.

I think that the exception is less expensive gowns that you might find at a moderately-priced store in a mall. They seem to run shorter, but you still might have to hem them if you are very petite.

As I've gone along cruising, I like to make things simple. I rely on skirts and tops that are evening-style. I'm so short that a regular length black knit skirt is usually getting near my ankles, and I find that many sparkly or trimmed evening tops are always available. Keep it simple: something sort of "knitty" packs well. A silver shirt, a pretty evening scarf, or a trimmed top with your skirt, and you're well dressed.

Shall I let you in on my "formalwear" biggest secret? I go to the Goodwill stores. They are simply loaded with gorgeous evening dresses and suits, and if you get something with a plain hem, anyone reading this is capable of turning up that hem evenly, pinning in place, and sewing it by hand for the right length. The reason I go to Goodwill is more for the selection than price, but at $15 for a petite evening jacket, pants, and beaded top, you can't beat it. They get new things every week, and all are perfectly dry cleaned and spotless. Their evening clothes are actually more interesting than the department stores'.

I have also bought Chinese dresses or Indian saris -- these are made with petite women in mind. If you have the right coloring, these can be stunning.

I'd like to note that if you look at resort/cruise eveningwear on the couture web sites, they are most often not beaded or sparkly or "ball gown" in look. I am copying a Chanel evening look for my Hawaii cruise ... a plain high necked flat black dress, and a shocking pink lustrous wide and long stole. Like all great fashion, it's simple but terrific. And it makes me look tall! That's really a bonus.

Good luck with your shopping.

Being petite & shopping for gowns is a challenge. I'm 5'0 also so I know where you're coming from. I remember shopping for prom dresses and anything that fit up top didn't fit my butt because the small waist of the dress was down near my round butt!

But even if you don't have a petite dress, you can still make it work. It's pretty much trial & error. Here are some of my suggestions based on my own experience. Try tea-length dresses as they may fall right around your ankles. Sometimes dresses that would be short on others will fall right at my knees or a little below (not the length of a gown, but still an option). And last, make sure you look for a dress that doesn't have beads/patterns at the hemline; otherwise tailoring will cost you a small fortune.

And last, make sure you look for a dress that doesn't have beads/patterns at the hemline; otherwise tailoring will cost you a small fortune.

And if you do find a dress that has something complicated at the hemline, make sure it has shoulder straps that can easily be shortened. That will also occasionally take care of a length problem by bringing up the entire dress.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have just come to terms that I have to scratch the idea of a beaded gown for my height. I will choose something that can easily be altered. To the ones that suggested I go and try things on, I stated earlier that I live in Germany and am not able to do that. They don't have shops here for formals like they do in the States. I have to order online and hope for the best.

I also wanted to share one of my valuable finds. I found this awesome site that has all kinds of gowns at very reasonable prices; http://www.lightinthebox.com/wholesale-Formal--Special-Occasion-Dresses_c2048

Again, thank you ladies. You all are so great! I have become seriously addicted to CC.

Have you ever tried a place like TJ Maxx? I see Petite dresses there all the time. It is hit or miss, but if you keep going, you'll find something. Plus, you get a good deal :)

I must say that all the times that I have lived and traveled to Germany I have never seen a TJ Maxx. So I guess it would be really hard for the OP to get a good deal there.

I’m 5’1” and I’ve pretty much accepted that long dresses will always have to be hemmed. I try to stick to cocktail dresses and have never had a problem finding one that fits, online or in stores.

tamsam07, your situation is complicated by the fact that you are not in the US and have limited choices where you are located. I can tell you of two retailers where I’ve had success finding cocktail-type dresses that have stores in Germany as well as online stores – BCBG and H&M. The styling is a bit young and trendy; I don’t know if that’s your cup of tea or not.

I am having a heck of a time finding a nice variety of petite formal dresses. I'm only 5' so this is a major task. I have checked all the big stores. Yes they have some but they are very boring and mostly all black.

Do any of you know of any online stores that I might not know about? Can y'all help a short gal out?

Also, to those of you who have ordered gowns online, have you been lucky with how they fit? The sights give only one chart size and measurements for all the gowns. But we ladies know each one fits differently. I'm scared I'm going to spend all this money and have something that is so off sized and can't be altered.

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I have bought several gowns online...and the measurements have always been pretty much to size. I'm not very tall either, so they always have to be hemmed. Usually the gowns are really long and have to be cut off and hemmed. The solution for me was to find a good alterations person. They can do wonders! I always take the shoes and undergarments that I will be wearing with the dress to the fitting.. never been dissapointed yet. It can get pricey...usually close to a hundred dollars to get mine hemmed...but I'm sure there are places that charge much less. I'm sure it depends on the complexity of the dress. Most dry cleaners either have somone that does alterations on their staff or they can point you in the direction of a good alterations person.

Your blue dress is lovely...continue to keep us posted.

Hi,

When I have to order online, I usually order more than I need and send the ones that don't fit back.

Funny, one time I was ordering gowns and decided since I'm paying the postage anyway, might as well have them send one beaded gown I thought may be a little over the top for me. What the heck, right?

When they came, THAT was the only one that fit me right and it was beautiful!!! Not at all gawdy like I thought it might be. And the length was perfect! I've really gotten my money's worth out of that gown, too. It was on sale for about $80, but looks like it cost a few hundred.

Oh, all the others from that order got sent back.:)

Judging by some of the earlier posts, I'm on the tall side: 5' 2 1/2" (WOW! <bg>) (Actually I have a long neck so maybe I'm 5' 0" from the shoulders down. <g>) But length is only part of my problem. The bust line in regular sizes is somewhere between my own bust line and my waistline. Pockets are just above my knees. Sleeves hang over my fingers. Sleeveless is cut halfway down my midriff. V-necks show everything! It's horribly frustrating.

I found a pair of black flowing pants last Xmas season but haven't been able to find any tops in petites. Suggestions?

I did find a couple of nice-looking dresses at the Barrie Pace website (thanks for the hint). Depending on the mfr, sometimes I'm a 6, sometimes I'm an 8. How do BP clothes run?

M/R

Quote Mysteryreader: The bust line in regular sizes is somewhere between my own bust line and my waistline. Pockets are just above my knees. Sleeves hang over my fingers. Sleeveless is cut halfway down my midriff. V-necks show everything! It's horribly frustrating.

OMG, ROFLMAO!!! But ain't it the truth!!!

Archived