Victoria ( Hop on Hop off)

Hey Crusiers. My family of 5 are wondering if the hop on hop off bus is worth it. We will be tried by the time we get to this port, it will be our last. And I am not finding one that goes at night. So the question is ,does any one thinks it worth it and which one? Or sholud we just get a cab and go downtown. Is it all walkable?( Being so tried)

Thanks for all replies

Hi, I live in Victoria and hope this advice will help you:

You'll probably want to take a taxi or coach from the terminal to downtown: It's a fair distance, which is walkable if you are fit, know where to go and don't have a lot of baggage. However, if you've got elderly folks and/or younger kids with you, or a camera, drinks and a back pack to tote, you'll be glad you grabbed a cab or coach (they line up at the dock) to downtown.

Downtown is VERY walkable and absolutely lovely. The Royal BC Museum and our Provincial Legislature are right next to each other, with the Empress Hotel just steps away. There's a lot of shopping along Government Street.

A lot of cruisers like to take a coach from downtown (in front of the Empress) to Butchart Gardens, on the Saanich Peninsula. It's not cheap, but is absolutely lovely. I'd also suggest other options to include Craigdarroch Castle and/or Government House (likely require a cab as those are a fair distance away). If your children like animals, a cheaper and family-oriented option is to go to the petting zoo at Beacon Hill Park. It's a small entrance fee in a beautiful urban park with an excellent lookout toward the Olympic Mountains.

Hope you enjoy our city!

Hi, I live in Victoria and hope this advice will help you:

You'll probably want to take a taxi or coach from the terminal to downtown: It's a fair distance, which is walkable if you are fit, know where to go and don't have a lot of baggage. However, if you've got elderly folks and/or younger kids with you, or a camera, drinks and a back pack to tote, you'll be glad you grabbed a cab or coach (they line up at the dock) to downtown.

Downtown is VERY walkable and absolutely lovely. The Royal BC Museum and our Provincial Legislature are right next to each other, with the Empress Hotel just steps away. There's a lot of shopping along Government Street.

A lot of cruisers like to take a coach from downtown (in front of the Empress) to Butchart Gardens, on the Saanich Peninsula. It's not cheap, but is absolutely lovely. I'd also suggest other options to include Craigdarroch Castle and/or Government House (likely require a cab as those are a fair distance away). If your children like animals, a cheaper and family-oriented option is to go to the petting zoo at Beacon Hill Park. It's a small entrance fee in a beautiful urban park with an excellent lookout toward the Olympic Mountains.

Hope you enjoy our city!

Thanks for your help. We only have about 5 hours at night.

Thanks again

Hey Crusiers. My family of 5 are wondering if the hop on hop off bus is worth it. We will be tried by the time we get to this port, it will be our last. And I am not finding one that goes at night. So the question is ,does any one thinks it worth it and which one? Or sholud we just get a cab and go downtown. Is it all walkable?( Being so tried)

Thanks for all replies

It's walkable, about a mile, alternately the #31 city bus stops right outside the cruise terminal and goes downtown (and beyond) for $2.25

This map should help you get your bearings http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.420515,-123.378825&spn=0.01726,0.045447&z=15

• 2 years later...

I was in Victoria several years ago and used the hop on hop off bus. They described some of the sights along the way. We got off at Craigdurrough Castle and at the Parliament building. After wondering around the harbor we walked back to the ship. We thought the bus was worth it. We got to the castle, got to see the sights along the way and learned a little about the sights. I'm going back in August and am disappointed that we be there 6pm to midnight. Seems like an odd time to be in port. We enjoyed our visit last time except for one of the employees in a small coffee shop near fisherman's wharf mouthing off about not liking the people from the cruise ships being in town. I guess she didn't understand that us buying things from them was helping their economy.

Archived