Does anyone wear shirt and tie w/tux?

My husband went out a bought a tux today and the sales person pointed out two maniquins (sp?) that had a tux jacket and pants, but just a regular white dress shirt and black regular tie. My husband said it looked fine, but he said he'd get (or rent) a tux shirt, tie, and vest if I wanted him to. I was just wondering if anyone on a cruise has seen has worn their tux w/a regular shirt and tie.

Pam

until Voyager
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Yes, I wear it both ways. Sometimes I will wear a tuxedo shirt and bow tie and sometimes I wear a fancy dress shirt and a formal white, or black tie. Both are equally correct. I used to work in retail clothing as a child and 25 years ago, this was not common, but it is very common today.

jc

Does he need to wear a vest if he wears a shirt and tie? Also...what kind of dress shirt - just a 'regular' one (meaning, is the collar a different size)? AND...what type of tie - would satin be best?

Thanks!!

Pam

until Voyager
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I am feeling underqualified to help you. I don't wear a vest, although I own a fancy tuxedo vest. 3 piece suits are not really my style as I am a double breasted guy. I am a natural fibers guy, too, and I wear the nicest all cotton dress shirt, with a non button down collar. The tie needs to be silk, and a formal style. It can have a pattern, but should not be anything but a very small geometric pattern, not floral, or mickey mouse. If you don't understand what I mean, go to any nice mens store and ask to see their formal ties. I usually wear a very nice white silk tie, with no pattern, but I have a black and white one, too. I find that I can get a completely different look from the same tuxedo by changing the shirt and tie. I am sure that there are members here who know more than I, as I am not in the clothing universe much anymore, and I don't subscribe to GQ these days. A friend of mine does the Regis thing, black tux, black dress shirt black silk tie. Not my style, but it looks nice.

jc

Pam, you can get a ton of mileage out of a tuxedo with a change of shirt, tie, and vest. As far as formal styles, what's really important with shirt selection is the type of coat your hubby has. If he has a coat with medium or large v-tipped lapels, you need to go with a shirt with a fairly large collar with stays, rather than buttons. The shirt should be a fairly neutral color (though you can get pretty wild if you wear bold colored silk shirts with a more neutral tie), and of a fairly substansial material, ie, no flimsy cotton. Poplin blends are good. My nice tux (the one I take on the cruise and wear to formal events) has the rounded lapel on the coat, the one that goes from button to buttonhole, all the way around the back of the coat with the exposed silk. I'm with JC here that I don't do the Regis single color thing, its just not me. Also, I'd go as far as to say that there is never a time to wear a patterned necktie with a tuxedo, no matter how small the pattern.

I have a couple of combinations that I wear with it. These are not suggestions, just what I wear:

Deep (blood) red silk shirt, black silk tie

Black satin shirt with deep red silk tie, white silk tie, royal blue silk tie

White traditional tux shirt

White "frilly" tux shirt

Baby blue frilly tux shirt with matching bowtie and cummerbund (sp?)(the GF really hates this combo, I never get to wear it [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] )

Three matching vest, tie, and pocket flap combinations, all patterned, one with royal blue as the main color, one with a deep green as the main color, and one with a light yellow as the main color.

A good ole' fashioned black bowtie and cummerbumd

A few assorted bowties, but I've never worn them with the tux.

I'd advise agains weaing a vest with a shirt and tie, unless the vest and tie match somehow, but again, that part of style is totally up to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-bk

<html>

[b]<font face="Century" size="2" color="#800000">Ahh, the signature. Home of useless ramblings, tired quotes, and a list of every vacation you've ever taken. Now, for some quotes: </font>[/b]

[b]<font face="Century" size="2" color="#800000">"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." - H. G. Wells (1866-1946) </font>[/b]

[b]<font face="Century" size="2" color="#800000">"His ignorance is encyclopedic" - Abba Eban (1915-2002) </font>[/b]

[b]<font face="Century" size="2" color="#800000">"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."   - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) </font>[/b]
</html>

Thanks for all the info. I was looking at some tuxedo rental websites and saw lots of regular ties, but they all had vests with them. I phoned one and they told me that it is fine to not wear the vest! I have to see what type of jacket he has...maybe I'll take the jacket to the store w/me to get the shirt and tie. I figured he'd need a silk or satin tie.

Pam

until Voyager

Archived