Want to do something special (surprise for mom)

time4vacay

I'm taking my Mom on a cruise in March as a Christmas gift; she's been with me through the planning stages of all of it, so it's not a surprise. I would like to do something special and surprise her as we're not huge vacation people, and I doubt she'll go on another cruise in the near future; it's been 9 years since the last one.

We've already picked out the shore excursions we want to go on, made reservations at the supper club, etc. This is a rare treat for us to be doing all this, so I'd like to make it really special for mom. It's also likely the last vacation the two of us take together for a long while. I was thinking of getting the Bon Voyage decorations and memory box from Carnival for the room and making sure we take enough pictures between my camera and ship photographers to fill the box and make it a special keepsake. If you were going on a vacation like this is this something you would enjoy? Would you prefer something else as a surprise?

Neither of us drink, and Mom is diabetic so I'd like to avoid the in cabin food gifts.

Thanks for any help you can give.

The keepsake box would be a great idea. We treated my mother in law to a cruise last November for her 70th, she had no idea until about 3 weeks prior. We gave her a scrap book which I completed the first page stating the dates and ports then I had already put vacation type paper in and gave her some cruise/vacation embelishments so she could complete it when she got home. This could be heavy if you get her a larger album (we did a smaller one) might want to give it her before you go.

My hubby bought some roses for me and they lasted the whole week, they were absolutely beautiful.

How about a day of pampering in the spa? Are ya'll going all out for formal night or whatever it's called now? If so, you could book a spa day for her on that day, have them style her hair and just make her feel like a queen. You could even do a mother/daughter spa day and get in on the action, too! ;)

Thank you both! I love both ideas. I think I might make a scrapbook of the cruise for her birthday, which is in May, that way I'll have time to put something together. I might do the day at the spa; we're going to the supper club so possibly we could do a spa day on that day; she would probably love a massage.

First of all being a mom and granny I want to say what a fabulous child you are to do this for mom. I have a son that so wonderful as well. Personally, spending the time together would mean more to me than an gift. Although the 42 inch TV my son got me for my birthday was really appreciated.:D Just enjoy every moment together and make those memories last a lifetime.

God Bless you and have a great cruise.

Cathy, I know my mom feels the same way. She's really happy to be able to do this together. I do feel bad though that her Christmas gift is something she's known about since I thought about booking and discussed it with her. I'm really excited that she's willing to pay for shore excursions, since my budget is relatively small on that front. :D She's so grateful to do this, so giving her something of a surprise would be more an extra than something I have to do. I live 500 miles from home right now, which is closer than I was, but not close enough to see my parents often. This is a great gift for me as well. I think a memory box or scrapbook might be a nice remembrance of the trip, but I'm not 100% sure if I want to go with Carnival's or put together my own afterwards.

Thanks for the compliment, happy cruising.

Depending on your budget, but how about an upgrade?

Maybe the Upsell Fairy will help you put and you'll get lucky.

I love surprising my parents with anything. Cruises it''s hard to do, but usually a couple of tickets to a Broadway show does the trick :)

I made matching blouses for a cruise I took with my mom and sisters. It took some prior planning and several patterns since we are all different sizes, but worth the effort. They were VERY COLORFUL, and a lasting memory for us all. On another cruise I took with my mom in Alaska we found matching shirts to wear the day we boarded.

I made matching blouses for a cruise I took with my mom and sisters. It took some prior planning and several patterns since we are all different sizes, but worth the effort. They were VERY COLORFUL, and a lasting memory for us all. On another cruise I took with my mom in Alaska we found matching shirts to wear the day we boarded.

Does Carnival still offer specialized Tshirts? You can have 2 printed with anything you want....

Time4vacy, you are welcome. I think a scrapbook that you make would really be nice or if you are going to be together at the holidays bring all the stuff and you and mom do it together. So much fun and so many memories. Have fun, sweetie.

Archived