Grocery or Liquor Store in Times Square?

rickdeni

I am from Chicago and we have in our downtown a few grocery and liquor stores. I will be staying in Times Square for 2 nights before sailing out of Red Hook. Could someone tell me where I could buy water, beer and wine before taking the limo to Red Hook. Thanks in advance!

I am from Chicago and we have in our downtown a few grocery and liquor stores. I will be staying in Times Square for 2 nights before sailing out of Red Hook. Could someone tell me where I could buy water, beer and wine before taking the limo to Red Hook. Thanks in advance!

any chain drug store sells water and soda. Local corner stores(called generically Bodegas in NY) sell beer, soda and water. There are many liquor stores in the area that sell wine and hard liquor but not beer. Find out the zip code of your hotel and go to either walgreens, cvs or duane reades website and you will find the closest drug store. also in either google search or yahoo search if you ask for liquor stores in x zip code they will be found.

In the Times Square area, for water/soda/etc. go to Walgreens at 42nd & Broadway. For beer, go to the Food Emporium at 43rd & 10th Avenue. Wine & liquor: the Manhattan Plaza Winery on 9th Avenue between 42nd & 43rd Streets.

You're welcome. We have an odd quirk in our alcohol laws here that makes it necessary for you to go to separate places for beer and wine. By the way, in bodegas or markets you may see something that looks like wine; it isn't, it's what's called a "wine product" and it usually tastes awful.

Thanks again. In Chicago, you can go into a liquor store downtown and buy water, pop, snacks, beer, wine and hard alcohol. Our major chain grocery stores also sell all of the above as well as our quikmarts, etc. New York, however, is not alone in selling its alcohol separate from beer, we have run into this many times in our travels.

You're welcome again. I understand, as my father had a drugstore for many years in Chicago at Dearborn & Division, and we sold everything; one of my first jobs as a child was to pretend to read comic books while watching for shoplifters. By the way, there's a new wine/liquor store opening up soon on 10th Avenue & 44th Street. I don't know what they're going to stock or how their prices will be; I like the Manhattan Plaza Winery on 9th btween 42nd & 43rd because it's in my building and I know them, but you might want to compare prices, etc. There's also a CVS (it's like Walgreen's) at 10th & 42nd and, as I mentioned earlier, there's the Food Emporium supermarket at 43rd & 10th, so you could just make a small circuit on your way to the Manhattan pier, which is two blocks further west and a little north.

Archived